Options

Just starting CCNP Route

AktionT4AktionT4 Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hey all,

Last week, I passed my CCNA with a 933. Now, it's time to move ahead with CCNP route.

I've got GNS3 loaded and configured - it's all ready to go. The question I have for most of you that have been through this is what reference material would you suggest?

I heard the Wendell Odom books are a little dry while Todd Lammle tends to make things a bit more interesting.

Also, has anyone used this and would they recommend it?
Amazon.com: CCNP ROUTE Lab Manual (Lab Companion) (9781587133039): Cisco Networking Academy: Books

I know GNS3 will suffice for the Route exam - but what about Switch? Am I going to have to pick up some hardware for this? If so, it's not a big deal - I'm in this to beat the hell out of the material and know it like the back of my hand.

Comments

• Options
    Panzer919Panzer919 Member Posts: 462
    Welcome to the site. Don't forget to use the search function as there are TONS of threads about this already icon_thumright.gif

The consensus is pretty much the Foundation Learning Guides for ROUTE and SWITCH. As for labs I used the Network Academy lab guide that I had from when I was in the ACAD and it worked well. There are also various sites that create and share their own labs, gns3-labs & gns3vault come to mind, and they also work well. You could also get creative and just make your own.
    Cisco Brat Blog

I think “very senior” gets stuck in there because the last six yahoos that applied for the position couldn’t tell a packet from a Snickers bar.

Luck is where opportunity and proper planning meet

I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
    Thomas A. Edison
  • Options
    prtechprtech Member Posts: 163
    I just started a couple of months ago and I've finished reading FLG and I'm halfway through OCG. I would recommend reading through both. The lab manual is OK. Didn't have a lot of labs and the challenges weren't challenging. Check out gns3vault.com for labs on gns3.
    If at first you do succeed, try something harder.
  • Options
    MrXpertMrXpert Member Posts: 586 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I must be one of the few people who has no real world experience but has opted to just use mainly vids, CHris Bryant's book and Rene's Routing guide. Bit of a gamble considering as the vast majority are using the published stuff. I found that when I passed my CCENT and CCNA I spent most of my time reading anything but Cisco official guides. It worked for me so i'm continuing with that same strategy. I found that what can be explained in 2 pages in a Cisco book takes 20 pages. That's why the book is so big I suppose.
    I'm an Xpert at nothing apart from remembering useless information that nobody else cares about.
  • Options
    waragiwaragi Member Posts: 72 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Agree on that one, I normally fall asleep with ocg.
  • Options
    Nate--IRL--Nate--IRL-- Member Posts: 103 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Although the general opinion here is to use the FLG for route - I have to say I really hate it. IMO it is long winded, badly structured, badly laid out and rambling. I've written the whole thing out in my own words, so I know how bad it is fairly well. :)

Nate
  • Options
    vinbuckvinbuck Member Posts: 785 ■■■■□□□□□□
    ROUTE was the hardest test for me...I spent a year studying for it. If you use the FLG to understand the concepts and then use the OCG to refine your test prep, you will have a really good understanding of the material both conceptually and operationally. Don't rely solely on the FLG or OCG either....read the blueprint and see what is tested. I got suprised a couple of times on my exam by a topic that was on the blueprint and not really covered well in the OCG or FLG.
    Cisco was my first networking love, but my "other" router is a Mikrotik...
  • Options
    Danielh22185Danielh22185 Member Posts: 1,195 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I've also recently began my studies with CCNP. I like the FLG book. Others may say its huge and rambles but so far its pretty good. I am about 200 pages in while balancing taking care of my Sec+. I would suggest starting there too as I have heard many people say its a good area to start with. I like the book because it is what it says, a foundation learning guide. I puts everything together from theory to piratical operations to give you a solid understanding of the material.

I would only say this book may be a waste of time for seasoned network engineers that are already very familiar with the concepts.
    Currently Studying: IE Stuff...kinda...for now...
    My ultimate career goal: To climb to the top of the computer network industry food chain.
    "Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else." - Vince Lombardi