Apple takes on Network+

Apple has started accepting Network+ holders as an entry level credential to start the Apple Consultant's Network (ACN) learning path. This might actually be a profitable venture as I think the iphone is beginning to rival the blackberry in the business market. Any thoughts?

CompTIA - Apple Consultants Network

Well, it might have been if their dues for this weren't ridiculous. Shouldn't surprise me with Apple I suppose.

Comments

• bigdogzbigdogz Member Posts: 881 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Yeah, I received the email as well. I think this is the second notification and not too many people are signing up.
  • MAC_AddyMAC_Addy Member Posts: 1,740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Apple is definitely more popular in my company. When I first started we only had BB's - then my boss's wife got an iPhone. A week later I was ordering phones for all our managers.

The iPhone is so much better than a BlackBerry.
    2017 Certification Goals:
    CCNP R/S
  • vColevCole Member Posts: 1,573 ■■■■■■■□□□
    REMOVED UNNECESSARY QUOTED REPLY FROM PREVIOUS POST

Agreed. I wish my current employer would switch. We're a Lotus Domino/Notes shop however.
  • RomBUSRomBUS Member Posts: 699 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Interesting...

I believe if they are battling Blackberry in this (as if BB isn't struggling enough in it's declining popularity) they will win because of riddance of a dedicated server or a service such as BIS, saves much more time/money without having to set these up
  • the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    At my last company we saw a big move to the iPhone (medical, law, general business) as it provides better overall functionality. Definitely easier to setup and if you working with Exchange it is really a dream. Someone put on here the tool you could use to setup accounts by sending an email with a file attached. Really helps when you have a user who knows nothing about the device they just brought ;)
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • cmitchell_00cmitchell_00 Member Posts: 250 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I like the program concept but, it's very expensive. I don't see any "Free" anything before paying $60 application fee and another $395 etc. yearly fee. We support Apple products but; no one on my team is Apple certified since we see it as a waste. The deployment of the iPhone's or iPad is simple to setup so; I feel this is another ploy to make more money out of the consumer. Now, if the Apple product breaks we check it and then if it can't be resolved just send it back for replacement. If we signup we can use the CompTIA - Apple Consultants Network logo-cool beans.
  • snokerpokersnokerpoker Member Posts: 661 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I agree with this. I was interested until I saw the prices.
  • the_hutchthe_hutch Banned Posts: 827
    Same here. I didn't see the prices until after I made the initial post.

If it was just a one time $60 fee, I probably would have done it. But I'm not going to pay those yearly dues.
  • the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Apple certs are good if you are a big time Apple shop because you are able to by pass their troubleshooting and just get parts sent to replace whatever is broken. Other then that, haven't seen a use for them.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • dmoore44dmoore44 Member Posts: 646
    RomBUS wrote: »
    Interesting...

I believe if they are battling Blackberry in this (as if BB isn't struggling enough in it's declining popularity) they will win because of riddance of a dedicated server or a service such as BIS, saves much more time/money without having to set these up

I think you're looking at it the wrong way... the BES (and other MDMs) is designed to manage mobile devices - much like a directory server (AD or openLDAP) is used to manage computers... BES will just be replaced by some other MDM if the i-Devices become the dominant mobile business platform... The alternative is this: RIM is supposed to support iOS, Android, and Windows Phone devices with the current version of BES... so you're stuck with BES anyway - even if a company moves from Blackberry to some other mobile device.
    Graduated Carnegie Mellon University MSIT: Information Security & Assurance Currently Reading Books on TensorFlow
  • GOZCUGOZCU Member Posts: 234
    conflict ; they also accept CCNP certified people :O one is Network+ other one is CCNP... did i miss something ?
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    vCole wrote: »
    Agreed. I wish my current employer would switch. We're a Lotus Domino/Notes shop however.

Same here. Have you seen the new support for iPhone from Lotus/Domino?
  • vColevCole Member Posts: 1,573 ■■■■■■■□□□
    No I haven't, hopefully they make the switch because viewing images/PDFs/etc on BlackBerrys is AWFUL and our number one complaint.
    Tell me about it. It drives me crazy trying to view PDFs and images. We've started allowing iPads/iPhones and I must say it's nice. I haven't moved over yet, but I'm likely going to.
  • kurosaki00kurosaki00 Member Posts: 973
    those prices!!!

whaaat? Oh heck no
    meh
    kurosaki00 wrote: »
    those prices!!!

whaaat? Oh heck no

It's meant to be paid for by your employer. Not you. In fact, a company has to sponsor you.
    Who can apply

Your membership in the Apple Consultants Network is held in the name of your company. While anyone can complete the application, we need specific contact information for the individual who is authorized by your company to sign the program contract and for the person who will carry the minimum certifications required to join the program.
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    The whole thing is just weird.