My CCENT/CCNA material review, secret and Tips!

sizeonsizeon Member Posts: 321
Lol, not really secret but tricks and strategy that i used to pass the CCENT and CCNA. First a little about myself; before being CCNA certified, i had no knowledge about networks except for what was an IP address (lol). I search and asked around for what was the best materials to use to get certified and everyone said the todd lammle books and cisco press books. I started to use videos such as CBT nuggets and train signal, but they leave out stuff that you have to know for the exam. I used the Todd Lammle book (fantastic book) to study for the CCENT and smoked the exam. I have to admit it, reading books is long and tedious and can really overload your brain with information. For my ccna i took another route. I used a video series called CCNA INE (best out there) and cisco documentation (surprise, surprise, surprise!!!). Studied this for 2 months and smoked the ICND2 exam. Now here my reviews:

CBT Nuggets:
This video series is taught by Jeremy Cioara. He is very enthusiastic, and he really makes the material not boring. The style that the video uses is a white board where the instructor writes stuff. Content wise, it is pretty good but he does leave out important stuff for the exam. The CBT package doesn't come with extras such as practice exams or labs (you can download some at the web site).

Verdict:
Presentation: 8/10
Teaching methods: 10/10
Extras: 3/10
Content: 8/10

Train Signal:
Train Signal CCNA is taught by Chris Bryant. His voice is very bland and doesn't sound too exciting about teaching. The style that the video uses is a power point presentation with some live labs. Content wise, he does a really good job in explaining the material and he covers all the material you need to know to pass the CCNA. The Train Signal CCNA package comes with a lot of extras!! It comes with a transcender practice exam, pdf notes, media videos for on the go.

Verdict:
Presentation: 7/10
Teaching Method: 8/10
Extras: 10/10
Content: 9/10 (-1 for having errors)

CCNA INE:
This video series is taught by a guy named Brian McGahan, 3x CCIE. Now this is best of both worlds; He is easy to listen to and actually covers everything you need to know to pass the CCNA and even goes beyond. The style used to present data is a mixture of live lecture, power point, live labs and white board. Content wise, again he goes into detail about everything you need to learn. He also explains things so easily, that a 6 year old could understand it. One thing that i didn't like about this package was that it doesn't come with no practice material. Also, it is a steaming service. Other than that with this video series alone, you CAN pass the CCENT/CCNA.

Verdict:
Presentation: 10/10
Teaching Method: 10/10
Extras: 1/10
Content: 10/10

CISCO Press Book:
It wouldn't be fair for me to rate this book because i did not finish the book. So i am only going to comment on the parts that i read. This book covers everything and beyond the scope of the CCNA. It is very reliable since it is endorsed by CISCO. Also, since it is endorse by CISCO, you are confident that it covers everything you need to know. Now for the ugly part. This book will OVERLOAD your brain. I personally do not like the writing style the author uses, because he takes pages just take explain things. This book comes with a test engine, that has some practice questions.

SYBEX Book:
In my opinion this is the best book out there for the CCNA and CCENT. It is loaded with practice questions, labs and even more practice questions on the CD. It even comes with flash cards!!!. I was very surprise, that some question were very similar to the real exam!! The author uses a writing style that is casual and laid back. So if you get board easily or dose off, this book is for you. One thing that i didn't like is that there were a couple of errors in the book. Other than that i give this product a 10/10.

NOW MY SECRETS!!!!!!

Every one says that you can't "rush" (notice i put rush in quotes) and have to read a book to pass the exam. And i disagree with those people. Here is the easiest way and fastest way to pass the exam:

Easiest:
Watch the CCNA INE video series, download packet tracer or GNS3 and lab it up!!!! Buy the Boson exam engine and you are good to go. Total spent: $220. Cheaper than CBT nuggets and Train Signal.

Fastest:
Go to cisco.com and download the ICND1/ICND2 syllabus. Then go to the documentation section of cisco.com and search the topics based off the ICND1/ICND2 syllabus. Use some youtube videos if you are a visual learner. Download packet tracer or GNS3 and lab it up! Purchase Boson CCNA practice exam and go ahead and pass the exam! Total spent: $200 or $119 (ICND1/2 or CCNA composite). Cheapest and fastest method!!

Comments

• YuckTheFankeesYuckTheFankees Member Posts: 1,281 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Why would you want to rush the CCNA, if someone is new to the field, they should take their time with the material. Yes having the certification is nice, but the knowledge and retaining that knowledge should be the goal.
  • sizeonsizeon Member Posts: 321
    please fully read what i wrote. By rushing i don't mean cramming and passing JUST to be certified. What i mean by "rushing" is the fact that you don't need to read 600 page book to learn this. And plus you don't use everything you learned in the real world.
  • YuckTheFankeesYuckTheFankees Member Posts: 1,281 ■■■■■□□□□□
    "Every one says that you can't "rush" (notice i put rush in quotes) and have to read a book to pass the exam. And i disagree with those people."
    "Cheapest and fastest method!!"
    "And plus you don't use everything you learned in the real world."

What's the point of finding the "fastest" way then, if you're not trying to take shortcuts to achieve the certification?
  • drkatdrkat Banned Posts: 703
    What i think he is saying and I'm the same way is to not use filler in the books, take the topics, go through them and learn them without all the BS.
  • headshotheadshot Member Posts: 77 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Just curious what errors you found with Chris Bryant?
    headshot wrote: »
    Just curious what errors you found with Chris Bryant?
    He states wrong facts in his wireless section.
  • sratakhinsratakhin Member Posts: 818
    I think the "fastest" way to become certified is to use braindumps... But what's the point?
  • r_durantr_durant Member Posts: 486 ■■■□□□□□□□
    When I first joined this forum, what I took away from posts like these is that different methods suit different people. There is no right method and no wrong method, some people can do it in a month or two and some take a few years. As you go along, you develop which method suits you best.
    CCNA (Expired...), MCSE, CWNA, BSc Computer Science
    Working on renewing CCNA!
  • beach5563beach5563 Member Posts: 344 ■■■□□□□□□□
    sizeon wrote: »
    -snip-

LOL you think a lot like I do on this stuff. I have a Telecom/IT background and have taken the CCNA a couple of time and came close. $9 years old now and believe me I'm probably going to go the video route because I need something that will help me to understand this stuff as clearly as possible. Maybe INE and packet tracer along with Boson practice tests. I have taken quite a few CCNA classes in the past with some real cool lab equipment. I also like your "fastest" method advice too. Theres a lot of ways to approach it. Just have to use what works for you. A friend of mine who was working around CCNPs everyday had the opportunity to practice with a real lab on the job and used some videos they had at his job. Thanks for your ad its giving me a fresh jumpstart.
    ^ glad it helped mate.

@sratakhin Also, brain **** are not even an option.
  • jacolemanjrjacolemanjr Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Because I had a job offer and they said get the certification in 10 days.
  • koz24koz24 Member Posts: 766 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Because I had a job offer and they said get the certification in 10 days.

Sorry, but any hiring manager who makes someone get a cert in 10 days is an idiot. I don't care if it's ICND1 or 2, none of that material can legitimately be learned in 10 days.
  • SpetsRepairSpetsRepair Member Posts: 210 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I read quite a bit though and always use different sources even if its repetitive. Numerous cisco books and videos
  • routingsparksroutingsparks Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Why would you want to rush the CCNA, if someone is new to the field, they should take their time with the material. Yes having the certification is nice, but the knowledge and retaining that knowledge should be the goal.

I don't think I could agree with this any more. It seems like everyone I talk to says that the piece of paper will get you in the door but your knowledge will get you the job.