ITIL v3 Foundation - thoughts

ChooseLifeChooseLife Member Posts: 941 ■■■■■■■□□□
I posted this on another forum a year ago. Reposting it now on TE in hopes that it would help others...

Last year (May-June 2010) I spent some time learning ITIL - it started as a decision to educate myself on a subject frequently appearing in job requirements and turned into quite an interesting reading. I'd certainly recommend investing a bit of time into it to anyone who's been in the IT industry for a few years. It definitely helps put things into perspective and see how the daily practice is structured in terms of overall workflow...

It is important to find good material, as some of the books do a terrific job of putting you to sleep sleeping.gif (official ITIL overview publication is one of them). I particularly liked "ITIL Foundations" by James Pengelly (Books24x7.com has an online copy of it).

After contemplating for a bit, I decided to take the exam, and now, having passed it easily, I'm glad I did - afterall, it never hurts to have an extra certificate :)

Exam name: ITIL v3 Foundation;
Exam length: 1 hour, 40 multiple-choice questions;
Passing grade: 26 points (each correct answer equals to 1 point);
Cost: USD 169 (through ISEB) or 175 (through EXIN) (as of May 31, 2010). A voucher from getcertify4less.com for $120 made it the cheapest exam I've had;
Time investment: ~30 hours of reading spread over 3 weeks seemed like a perfect amount in terms of both gaining the knowledge and preparing for the exam;
Resources:
1. "ITIL Foundations" by James Pengelly (Books24x7.com)
2. http://wiki.en.it-processmaps.com
3. Official ITIL overview of the subject.

I can't say the exam was particularly challenging as long as you are familiar with the material. At the same time there is no way I'd pass it without studying first, cause while all the concepts made perfect sense, most of terminology was new to me.

As someone who had no previous experience with the theory of IT management, I found ITIL interesting in a sense that it added order and structure to the previously gained empiric knowledge about IT operations.

Best regards,

P.S. I also feel that adding the ITIL cert increased value/visibility of my "career portfolio" - over the past year, I have been repeatedly contacted by recruiters and headhunters, and their alphabet soup of candidate requirements rather often included "ITIL" among other things (this is sysadmin jobs we're talking about).
“You don’t become great by trying to be great. You become great by wanting to do something, and then doing it so hard that you become great in the process.” (c) xkcd #896

GetCertified4Less
- discounted vouchers for certs

Comments

• instant000instant000 Member Posts: 1,745
    I can't say the exam was particularly challenging as long as you are familiar with the material. At the same time there is no way I'd pass it without studying first, cause while all the concepts made perfect sense, most of terminology was new to me.

Quoted for truth!
    Currently Working: CCIE R&S
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/lewislampkin (Please connect: Just say you're from TechExams.Net!)
  • Heny '06Heny '06 Member Posts: 107
    I''m interested in taking this test and using this book. Any way to get a hard copy?
  • ChooseLifeChooseLife Member Posts: 941 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Heny '06 wrote: »
    I''m interested in taking this test and using this book. Any way to get a hard copy?
    Strange, I cannot find this book anymore - neither on Books24x7 nor elsewhere online...
    “You don’t become great by trying to be great. You become great by wanting to do something, and then doing it so hard that you become great in the process.” (c) xkcd #896

GetCertified4Less
  • JapFreak786JapFreak786 Member Posts: 27 ■□□□□□□□□□
    thanks for the post! as i'll be looking at doing this quite soon,funded by my employer aswell so it's a bonus :D
  • lordylordy Member Posts: 632 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I think I will be putting this cert on my to-do-list.

With my goal of going self-employed next year this might look good on my profile and put me on the search results for ITIL icon_smile.gif
    Working on CCNP: [X] SWITCH --- [ ] ROUTE --- [ ] TSHOOT
    Goal for 2014: RHCA
    Goal for 2015: CCDP
  • ChooseLifeChooseLife Member Posts: 941 ■■■■■■■□□□
    good luck, guys!

IMO, while certain specific areas/technologies may or may not be relevant to your jobs, familiarity with ITIL (and/or COBIT et al.) is certainly beneficial to anyone in IT operations.

GetCertified4Less
  • GaWdLyGaWdLy Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    After taking a bootcamp I received from an ITIL education provider, and lots of self-study, I passed the ITIL V3 exam in approximately 15 or 20 minutes. I never would have gotten this had I not studied the materials, as others have mentioned.

This is an easy cert that I feel pays dividends right away. The materials are good to know if you are working in an ITIL house, too!
  • BeginCOBITBeginCOBIT Banned Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    After obtaining the ITIL Foundation Certificate, you might want to consider getting the COBIT 4.1 Foundation Certificate; ITIL and COBIT are often seen together in job adverts. COBIT is often used to help businesses comply with the IT control requirements of the Sarbanes-Oxley Act.