Banner Grabbing

jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
Hey

I'm trying to do banner grabbing for the web services but it only worked once.
I was using Telnet to do this against metasploitable but nothing shows up for
a while. Would there be any reason why it would work? I know I can use nmap
to help me get some of the same information...
Booya!!
WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
*****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****

Comments

• paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Are you trying to grab the WSDL for a web service?

I would try it with a web browser with an inteception proxy to make sure that I'm typing in the HTTP GET command in telnet correctly.
  • jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I am trying to get the WSDL. The problem is that I never get the chance to type the GET command in telnet.
    Booya!!
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****
    When you telnet to the web server port, do you get a TCP connect right away? Don't forget, there isn't going to be a prompt and you have to hit return twice.

Do you get a TCP connect using a browser?

You could also put a sniffer on the client and inspect the IP traffic.
  • jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Thank you for the help! Every thing worked out and I tried to sniff the traffic using wireshark. I really appreciate the help that you provided me.
    Booya!!
    Great. Glad it worked out. Just curious - what was the issue?