New Gear, for CCNA/CCNP study.

belixbelix Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
I just picked up about 1/4 ton of switches, on e-bay. I know I probably should have posted before buying but just couldn't resist after customs told me that there is no duty on them.

I know I still need some routers, but this is what I've got for switches, and the highest level of IOS they support. I know some of the IOS versions are a little out dated, but I'm hoping they will be fine.

(x2) Cisco Catalyst 3550-24-EMI___________Cisco IOS 12.2.44-SE6, Cisco IOS 12.2.53-SE2
(x3) Cisco Catalyst WS-2950C_____________Cisco IOS 12.1.22-EA6, Cisco IOS 15.1.3-T
(x2) Cisco Catalyst WS-2950T_____________Cisco IOS 12.1.22-EA6, Cisco IOS 15.1.3-T
(x1) Cisco Catalyst 3524-PWR-XL-EN_______Cisco IOS 12.0.5-WC17
(x1) Cisco Catalyst 3524-XL-EN____________Cisco IOS 12.0.5-WC17
(x1) Cisco Catalyst C2980G-A_____________Cisco IOS 12.1.22-EA6, Cisco IOS 15.1.3-T
(x1) Cisco Catalyst 2980G________________Cisco IOS 12.1.22-EA6, Cisco IOS 15.1.3-T
(x1) Cisco Catalyst C2950G_______________Cisco IOS 12.1.22-EA6, Cisco IOS 15.1.3-T
(x1) Cisco Catalyst 2924-XL-EN___________Cisco IOS 12.1.22-EA6, Cisco IOS 15.1.3-T

Total cost for the switches was $300 +$150 to ship. I plan to get 3-5 routers, a blade server (XP, or 7), and an access server, with a couple of Octal cables. I have a PIX 501 that should give me remote access to it all.

I guess the big question is, was I nuts to blow $300 on 13 switches. They came from a working environment and are fully functional.

Comments

• SteveO86SteveO86 Member Posts: 1,423
    As far as CCNP
    The 2x 3550's with EMI will be useful (Even if you go for the CCIE you'll still want those), the 2950G (and maybe the 3524's) might be capable of QoS (WRR, I think if that's on the NP Objectives)

The others are pretty "dumb" switches, but they will run VLANs, trunks, DTP, Spanning-tree so they will be helpful. After CCNA Though you might not have much use for them when you start the NP, unless you really build out a spanning-tree network.
    My Networking blog
    Latest blog post: Let's review EIGRP Named Mode
    Currently Studying: CCNP: Wireless - IUWMS
  • alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Yea, you're probably a nut for buying so much :), but it's better to have too much stuff than not enough stuff. Besides, if you're anything like me you'll end up doing stuff that's above and beyond whats on the cert you're doing and find ways to use everything you have.

Some of those switches aren't all that like SteveO86 said, but if you look here, they're still pretty capable. That doc compares 2900XL's with 2950's. The 3500XL's are equivalent to the 2900XL's as far as IOS features and commands.
  • belixbelix Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    alan2308 wrote: »
    Yea, you're probably a nut for buying so much :), but it's better to have too much stuff than not enough stuff. Besides, if you're anything like me you'll end up doing stuff that's above and beyond whats on the cert you're doing and find ways to use everything you have.

I was working as a server/network administrator, and now make almost twice as much as a janitor. This is just a hobby really. Not sure if I want to work in IT again. So regardless of certifications, or tests. I just cant wait to play around with this stuff and learn as much as I can. I was looking at some lab kits, and decided to build my own. The 3550 EMI , and some 2950's seemed to be on everyone's list. A few of each of those would be at least this much, so all this for that price... I just couldn't pass it up.

Feels like xmas, and my toys are on their way. Now I have an excuse to get a 42u cabinet in my room.:D