SECURE study material?

bryguybryguy Member Posts: 190
Anyone have any recommendations for the SECURE exam as far as study materials are concerned? I saw the CISCO book received dismal reviews on Amazon. Any alternative materials, book or otherwise, out there that anyone had success with? Thanks in advance.

Comments

• nicklauscombsnicklauscombs Member Posts: 885
    the SECURE book along with the ccie book network security technologies and solutions was more than enough.
    WIP: IPS exam
  • bryguybryguy Member Posts: 190
    Thanks, I appreciate the info... Looks like both books are available on books 24x7.
  • SomnipotentSomnipotent Member Posts: 384
    the SECURE book along with the ccie book network security technologies and solutions was more than enough.

meh, the SECURE book is garbage... read the first sentence of the book and you'll see. i had to cross reference so many things on the internet. poorly edited to say the least.
    Reading: Internetworking with TCP/IP: Principles, Protocols, and Architecture (D. Comer)
  • neelkneelk Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    i gree with u the secure book is more the garbage
    the cbt nuggets were decent for this as well.
    Anyone use the ipexpert videos? Seems pretty reasonable price wise compared to what they're charging for the CBT Nugget videos.

CCNP SECURE v1.0 Video on Demand | IPexpert Inc.

Just curious if anyone has any input on ipexpert... I know they're pretty respected from a CCIE perspective.
  • mochaaddictmochaaddict Member Posts: 42 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I concur with Somnipotent that the official SECURE cert book is not particularly great. I just finished the last chapter. The author obviously didn't proof read or have a decent technical editor. In addition the example configs were not run through IOS and must have been cut and pasted from a word processor. The last chapter is hopelessly bad with errors that even a novice would be able to pick up on. That being said a true seeker of knowledge would take the configs and lab them up to find how to correctly apply the lesson.

As far as the IPexpert videos I am just finishing those up as well for the SECURE portion. So far, I have really liked this series and the instructor. The topics are relatively easy to digest and the labs hammer the lesson home. I try to shadow the labs as they are being taught for maximum retention. Bear in mind the videos should be treated as a secondary source as it only covers major topics and doesn't get into the all the details.
  • docricedocrice Member Posts: 1,706 ■■■■■■■■■■
    It is unfortunate that Cisco's official study material has so many inaccuracies. At least they have an errata:

http://www.ciscopress.com/content/images/9781587142802/errata/9781587142802Errata03_09_12.doc
    Hopefully-useful stuff I've written: http://kimiushida.com/bitsandpieces/articles/
    bryguy wrote: »
    Anyone use the ipexpert videos? Seems pretty reasonable price wise compared to what they're charging for the CBT Nugget videos.

CCNP SECURE v1.0 Video on Demand | IPexpert Inc.

Just curious if anyone has any input on ipexpert... I know they're pretty respected from a CCIE perspective.
    I actually have the whole CCNP: Security video series from them and thought they covered the material very well. Not the biggest fan of the instructor but they got the job done.
  • Maced129Maced129 Member Posts: 78 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I agree, the ipexpert videos are good, and you could always get a 1 to 2 day sub from cbt nuggets for 50 bucks and that should be enough time to get you through them all as well.
    Thanks, guys... I appreciate all the input.