Six month certification window is a real problem!

TPKellerTPKeller Registered Users Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
What happens when the mindless government requirements clash with the real world?

I am about to enter the six-month window dictated by 8570.1M during which I must obtain my CISSP certification. However, due to the content changes which just went active in January, most, if not all of the available study material is now obsolete. Several of the more popular and highly recommended books have new editions that are "coming soon": I've seen one planned for August, and another for November - which is the END of my window!

The 8570.1M six-month window requirement does not take into account the lead time needed by book authors and publishers to implement updates to the certification content.

I'm just venting... it's very frustrating!

Any thoughts?

Comments

• cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Welcome to TE.

This issue pops up every few weeks. No need to get frustrated. It seems that you are misinformed. The changes to the CBK are mostly cosmetic. The current training material is NOT obsolete. The AIO, Conrad books, CBTs etc. are absolutely valid. Search here and you will find more info.

As Clement Dupuis puts it:
    "As I have mentioned in my full review of the old CBK®compared with the new CBK® there is almost no changes that were introduced. The changes are mostly semantics, lots of the changes are rewording within the Candidate Information Bulletin (CIB). So there should be no worries, the material you currently have will still match perfectly well with the current exam offered by ISC2® and you don't need new books or new resources."
  • kalkan999kalkan999 Member Posts: 269 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Ditto to what cyberguy said.
  • TPKellerTPKeller Registered Users Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the quick replies. I should have looked farther back in the thread history. This does make me feel a little better... but I hate buying outdated material, especially knowing new stuff is "just around the corner."

TPK
  • kalkan999kalkan999 Member Posts: 269 ■■■■□□□□□□
    No Problem. One of the domains changed it's name to to Information Security/Risk Governance. Governance, Risk and Compliance (GRC) is a term you should definitely know now that was not brought up much in AIO Fifth Edition or previous. ISO 27001 and 27002 are VERY IMPORTANT. Join CCcure.org forums. Read about HOW your peers study. Nmemonics help a lot if you have the necessary skills going into the test. As for here, just ask for help, as we all want to help one another succeed. Shoot me a private e-mail if you'd like, and I can help in any way I can, with the caveat that I don't violate the Non-Disclosure Agreement. icon_thumright.gif
    cyberguypr wrote: »
    Welcome to TE.

This issue pops up every few weeks. No need to get frustrated. It seems that you are misinformed. The changes to the CBK are mostly cosmetic. The current training material is NOT obsolete. The AIO, Conrad books, CBTs etc. are absolutely valid. Search here and you will find more info.
    By the way, I did look through the sticky thread at the top: "New Requirements for CISSP."

Although it appears that this thread originated from a previous requirements change, I figured that the 2012 changes would certainly have been discussed there, but they are not, and I looked no further.

Perhaps it would be good for someone who has some handy reference material (such as the quote above) to update that thread for the 2012 changes.

I would have seen it, had it been there.

TPK
  • emerald_octaneemerald_octane Member Posts: 613
    I just took the test and I can say without a doubt that there was nothing on there that wasn't covered by atleast one of my sources (official review seminar, erik conrad, cissp prep guide)
  • beadsbeads Member Posts: 1,531 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Even with the cosmetic changes six months is plenty of time to pick up a couple new definitions added to the CBK/CBT. Really thats all that changed. I forgot the term Eric Conrad was looking to have defined a few months back but the rest just reflects up to date thinking on a couple of terminology. The rest as they say is the same.

- beads
    I just saw in this thread that they have introduced another change, now requiring a minimum 90 day wait between tests.

These folks really need to have a chat with the US Government, because what this means for a large number of people following the DoD 8570.1 track is that they are given a requirement to obtain a certification within 6 months, and now they will have at most, two chances to take the test, and that's only if they hop right on the ball and get that first one done in under 3 months.

TPK
    I posted a message here yesterday with a link to another thread, which appears to have triggered a moderation requirement. Are there any moderators who watch for such posts? I would have thought someone would have seen it during an overnight period... but not yet.

TPK
  • AnthonyFAnthonyF Member Posts: 109
    Hey man,

It is 30 days after the first fail and 30 additional days after each subsequent fail.

Check the ISC2 Site:
    https://www.isc2.org/cbt-faqs.aspx

Also the goal is to pass first time. So focus on that. You are getting all worked up over nothing.

Positive thinking man!
  • afcyungafcyung Member Posts: 212
    @TPKeller

Actually this isn't DOD issue at all. Failure procedures are up to the org you work for. So for instance failure/remedial actions for the Air Force are found in AFMAN 33-285. You will need to get with your 8570 manager so you know what the process is for your unit.
  • htebazilehtebazile Member Posts: 52 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Exceptions can be made by your ISSM/IAM on a case-by-case basis to allow some extra time to meet the requirement - if revoking your access would impact the mission (mission usually trumps security, at least where I work). However, try your best to meet the requirement in the six month time frame.
    ~ elizabeth
  • beadsbeads Member Posts: 1,531 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Over prepare and the exam is a snap. Just like any other exam, this one just requires the right mindset. Once, you get through you can join the LinkedIn board and read how easy people declare the exam to pass in the first place. No, really. Given some of the comments I've read over the years you'd think it was more akin to tic-tac-toe. In other words all exams are easy when you know the answers - to include the CISSP.

- beads