JNCIP-Sec Passed

AhriakinAhriakin Member Posts: 1,799 ■■■■■■■■□□
Hi Guys,

Yeah I know, long time no type. Many reasons for that but the only remotely interesting one to you guys is that I was working on the JNCIP-Sec, passed it on Saturday. The other 2 Juniper exams I've sat have not been that challenging tbh, I don't mean in level of content as that would be silly considering I'd done a lot of the core concept work already on the Cisco side but I'm considering vs. the study material. I felt that the material for the JNCIA-Junos and JNCIS-Sec made them look harder than the exams actually were, not so with the JNCIP-Sec. There's a LOT to cover, the study material and scope of the exam guidelines do accurately represent the exam itself so do not take it lightly with any presumptions from the previous ones. I actually thought it was quite a good exam, it didn't just focus on minutiae (though naturally that comes into it) but had some very good questions that really forced you to think about the flows rather than just process facts from memory. I still wish they had some Sims though, besides adding value to the test I find it easier (and more valuable) to work something out than just tick off my best-of-4 answer.

I'll list what I used studywise next but the main thing is that you absolutely need the official courseware. While I love the O'Reilly "JunOS Security" book it's not specific enough to the topics you need, it has more on some areas, less on others. It's definitely a good companion though but your core should be the AJSEC and JIPS books - if you don't do the courses you can buy these separately online. Not cheap, but the JIPS book includes (at least when I got mine from the course) a voucher for the exam itself so that's $300 back right there.

Study Materials:

Lab - Juniper
2xSRX100s (spent most of the time clustered)
1xSRX210H with IPS license.

Lab - Misc.
Cisco 3550 - Primary Switch
Cisco 3640 - Mostly for simulating end hosts in connectivity testing.
Cisco PIX 515 - For playing around with Juniper to non' VPNs.

Books:
AJSEC Course and guide book.
JIPS Course and guide book.
"JunOS Security " O'Reilly
"JunOS Cookbook" O'Reilly
JNCIS-Sec Fast Track PDF 1

Next up is the JNCIE-Sec, right now I'm aiming for end of year but I have 2 others to recertify before then (TippingPoint TCSE and the CCIE) so that might be just a wee bit too aggressive. If Juniper get the bootcamp released in the next few months that's definitely more likely....we'll see.

Anyway, hope this post helps someone else along the way a bit.
We responded to the Year 2000 issue with "Y2K" solutions...isn't this the kind of thinking that got us into trouble in the first place?

Comments

• nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congrats man! Great write up too. Best of luck with the IE!
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
  • AldurAldur Member Posts: 1,460
    Big congrats on the pass! And I'm glad to hear your thoughts about the exam. We had fun writing that exam and we specifically tried to say away from corner stone/one off questions that were not to relevant to real world scenarios. One of my really awesome HA questions got axed for that reason. :D

Also, just a heads up for other people looking to take the JNCIP-SEC exam, we're in the process of doing a major update to the AJSEC courseware which will include the AppSecure features. So more than likely the exam will need to include that sometime in the near future.
    "Bribe is such an ugly word. I prefer extortion. The X makes it sound cool."

-Bender
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Congrats man!
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    Welcome back to the land of the living TE! icon_cheers.gif
  • AhriakinAhriakin Member Posts: 1,799 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Thanks guys. I'd love to say I am 'back' but that probably won't be true for a while, slammed at work and some home stuff that's going to chew up the next few months. But I do still try to pop in when I can, just nothing much to contribute at the moment icon_sad.gif
    We responded to the Year 2000 issue with "Y2K" solutions...isn't this the kind of thinking that got us into trouble in the first place?
  • glorkiglorki Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hello Ahriakin,

where can I get AJSEC and JIPS Course and guide books?

Best regards,
    G.
  • AhriakinAhriakin Member Posts: 1,799 ■■■■■■■■□□
    If you can't do the courses themselves Juniper will sell the course-ware directly (though they are not cheap).

Welcome
  • kasujkasuj Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Is AJSEC course book really that good? Price tag for it on the web site is 300$. I think it's a high price.

I've just passed the JNCIS-SEC and now I'm looking for materials to the JNCIP-SEC. I have Safarii access but there is only Junos Security book and the new one "Juniper SRX" (in rough cuts).