Removable Media Encryption

QHaloQHalo Member Posts: 1,488
Trying to get an idea what everyone out there is using, trials and tribulations, etc. We're looking at Symantec, Sophos and McAfee right now. Anyone using these? Got opinions? Someone else we should consider? Thanks.

Comments

• higherhohigherho Member Posts: 882
    You should check our McAfee's e policy orchestrator suite. The module DLP (Data loss prevention) can provide you the ability to only allow certain USB devices on your network. I understand this does not answer your encryption question but its an avenue to pursue imo and I've been using it for the past year and a half.
  • KenCKenC Member Posts: 131
    I use TrueCrypt myself and also IronKey on an occasion. Both fine for me, but not so sure it is what you need for an enterprise solution. Have you looked at BitLocker (To Go)?

What are your main priorities (availability, security, etc)?
  • demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819
    totally agree bitlocker to go is good and free

iron key is also nice but if i remember correctly you have to use an ironkey drive and they cost more
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    How many endpoints are you needing to support? We use Symantec. We have about 20k endpoints worldwide.
  • SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    I have a few dozen Ironkeys. I use to use them more, but rarely have to now. I never opted for the Enterprise versions. Our state is trialing them now though. Problem with TrueCrypt was lack of central management.
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • QHaloQHalo Member Posts: 1,488
    We're starting with laptops, but I'm sure that will end up moving to all machines. That's just short of 1000 machines total. Central management would be key. We have several remote sites so being able to help users from across the country is ideal. Security of data being moved to removable media is the top priority and ensuring that if a USB key is lost that the data is encrypted and the device is basically a brick without the password. While that sounds like a huge 'duh', its really the key factor. Ease of use with end users is also something we highly need as well. I'm dealing with attorneys who may not be the most tech savvy and I have to take that into consideration. Thanks for all the responses thus far.

Truecrypt would be a great idea if it had central management. I'll inquire about BitLocker To Go, but since we're just now rolling Windows 7 and I've only been here for 3 weeks thus far, if they haven't already looked at this as well. It was one of those, lets find some vendors and do some proof of concepts type of endeavors.
    higherho wrote: »
    You should check our McAfee's e policy orchestrator suite. The module DLP (Data loss prevention) can provide you the ability to only allow certain USB devices on your network. I understand this does not answer your encryption question but its an avenue to pursue imo and I've been using it for the past year and a half.

I've used ePO in the past and I wasn't thoroughly impressed with it although that was more Virus Scan. McAfee is a magic quadrant Gartner company so we've looking at them here with their endpoint removable encryption software.
    paul78 wrote: »
    How many endpoints are you needing to support? We use Symantec. We have about 20k endpoints worldwide.

How's the product overall? Is it easy to use? Is it something you can deploy and let the Service Desk manage? I'm looking for something that we can get into that doesn't have a ton of in depth administration and that we can turn over to our Application teams to manage overall.