Preparing For My 2nd CCIE_LAB Attempt

sr1855sr1855 Registered Users Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi All,

I gave 1st CCIE lab attempt in August 2011. And CCIE Written in 20th December 2010.

I am planning to go for 2nd CCIE lab attempt later this year somewhere between November 2012 & December 2012.

Do I need to give CCIE Written Exam again ?

Also I would require support as I missed lot of time between from first attempt due to personal health issues.

Comments

• MrBishopMrBishop Member Posts: 229
    I believe the written is only valid for 1.5 years but you can check your Cisco Certification Tracker to check.

https://i7lp.integral7.com/durango/do/login?ownername=cisco&channel=cisco&basechannel=integral7
    Degrees
    M.S. Internet Engineering | M.S. Information Assurance
    B.S. Information Technology | A.A.S Information Technology
    Certificaions
    Currently pursuing: CCIE R&Sv5
  • sr1855sr1855 Registered Users Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi

Thanks for the reply. I checked cisco's website

Exam Information - CCIE - Cisco Systems

Candidates must make an initial attempt of the CCIE lab exam within 18 months of passing the CCIE written exam. Candidates who do not pass must re-attempt the lab exam within 12 months of their last attempt in order for their written exam to remain valid. If a candidate does not pass the lab exam within three years, the written exam expires and must be passed again before the candidates will be allowed to schedule the lab.

Please someone let me know if I still need to give CCIE Written Exam again.
  • networkjutsunetworkjutsu Member Posts: 275 ■■■□□□□□□□
    If I understood the policy correctly, then yes you have to take the written again if you decide to take the lab after 12 months of your first attempt. Since you're taking your 2nd attempt between November and December 2012, then that's over 12 months of your initial attempt.
    Thanks for the reply. That is what I thought initially just wanted to clearify for the same.

How much has the lab changed in last few months since I missed quiet a lot of action?
    I will go through CCIE Written Exam Topics again and give CCIE Written again in next 1 or 2 month.

Apart from Jeff Doyle for Routing TCP/IP books which other books would you recommended..
    I want to go this time with good preparation rather than only mugging up ****.
    Last Time I gave LAB Attempt in Bangalore India.

Which location should I plan this time Dubai , Bangkok or Bangalore ?
    Which has higher passing percentage?
  • IvanjamIvanjam Member Posts: 978 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Based on the info you quoted from Cisco, it would seem you DO NOT have to retake the written part, provided that you resit the lab before August 2012 instead of in November - December.

Your first attempt at the lab in August 2011 was well within the 18 month period from the date of the written exam. You now have 12 months from August 2011 to resit the lab so, if you do so before August 2012, you'll be fine. Even if you fail on your next attempt, you still have at least one more chance, provided that you resit the lab before the expiration of 12 months from your next sitting.

What I didn't see quoted was info on the minimum period between lab attempts. Who knows, you may have even more chances to pass the lab by the final deadline of December 20, 2013 than I am suggesting above?
    Fall 2014: Start MA in Mathematics [X]
    Fall 2016: Start PhD in Mathematics [X]
    Small mistake Sir : I gave my CCIE Written on 20th December 2010 and 1st lab attempt was in August 2011.

Next Attempt will be later this year. So, 1st part is correct with 18 months i gave my CCIE lab attempt. After I failed in my first lab attempt in August 2011 as per cisco i can give the next lab attempt within 1 year of my lab fail date.
    As I plan to give my lab attempt after August 2012 so I guess I need to give CCIE Written Again.
  • IvanjamIvanjam Member Posts: 978 ■■■■□□□□□□
    You probably read the first draft of my response. I have since edited it to deal with the issues you bring up as I too noticed them. icon_smile.gif
    Fall 2014: Start MA in Mathematics [X]
    Fall 2016: Start PhD in Mathematics [X]
    aah you are right. Probably this time I will go with more preparation rather than giving attempt in hurry..
    Suggest any good books and lab guides to follow. Last Time I used Study material from ******** & ccie cert.