realistically with a network + and a CCENT what position could i obtain?

gdeusthewhizkidgdeusthewhizkid Member Posts: 289
I have 3 years as a pc tech. 7 years as a system support technician.. realistically with a network + and a CCENT what position could i obtain? Looking to take both of these certs this year.. what positions would I be qualified for after successfully passing?
WGU Progress: Progress | Completed | Start Date: 9/1/2012 B.S. Network Management & Design
Courses Transferred in: BBC1 LAE1 QBT1 IWC1 IWT1 DHV1 CSV1 CWV1 CRV1 DEV1 - 28 cu :roll:
Down: AXV1 CPV1 WFV1 CLC1

Technical Diploma from Lincoln Tech.

Comments

• MstavridisMstavridis Member Posts: 107
    With no experience you could get NOC tier 1 job. They will pay like 10-14 an hour.
  • gdeusthewhizkidgdeusthewhizkid Member Posts: 289
    Mstavridis wrote: »
    With no experience you could get NOC tier 1 job. They will pay like 10-14 an hour.

I have 3 years as a pc tech. 7 years as a system support technician..
    WGU Progress: Progress | Completed | Start Date: 9/1/2012 B.S. Network Management & Design
    Courses Transferred in: BBC1 LAE1 QBT1 IWC1 IWT1 DHV1 CSV1 CWV1 CRV1 DEV1 - 28 cu :roll:

• YuckTheFankeesYuckTheFankees Member Posts: 1,281 ■■■■■□□□□□
    He's referring to no "networking" experience.
    He's referring to no "networking" experience.
    I set up AD accts, VOIP phone accts, emails, maintain the servers, setup and maintain switches in server room and in office. Isn't that networking experience. what am i missing as far as networking experience....

• ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■■□
    What does "maintain the servers" and "maintain switches" mean?
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%
  • halaakajanhalaakajan Member Posts: 167
    there is a huge difference between maintaining and designing/configuring a network. here in Canada you will get prolly a 18-22$ job in Alberta
    I was asking a real question guys... wasn't looking to get flamed.. sheesh...

• YFZbluYFZblu Member Posts: 1,462 ■■■■■■■■□□

I don't think you were getting flamed - Someone gave you a relatively low number and you retorted by saying you have experience - So it's not unreasonable for people to ask you to clarify that experience. In reality the following factors will determine how much you make:

-Experience: What kind? With who?
    -Your location
    -Your education. Certs included
    -How well you sell yourself
    -How well you actually know your stuff
  • drkatdrkat Banned Posts: 703
    CCENT/Network+ is gonna get you... lets see... Entry level Network job.

You say you have experiencing maintaing switches?? what kind of switches? what is the extent to your administration; unfortunately the server work (depending on the type of position) wont matter much for the job. You'll need to look deep at your experience and ask yourself if you can do the job that is asked of you. NOC isnt necessarily the only road to go, really depends on you. N+/CCENT == Position is the wrong path to be on... you need to look at the positions you want to secure, and then determine the qualifications that are needed to succeed.

Just my $0.02
    drkat wrote: »
    CCENT/Network+ is gonna get you... lets see... Entry level Network job.

You say you have experiencing maintaing switches?? what kind of switches? what is the extent to your administration; unfortunately the server work (depending on the type of position) wont matter much for the job. You'll need to look deep at your experience and ask yourself if you can do the job that is asked of you. NOC isnt necessarily the only road to go, really depends on you. N+/CCENT == Position is the wrong path to be on... you need to look at the positions you want to secure, and then determine the qualifications that are needed to succeed.

Just my $0.02

I would like to get my networking skills to expert level and eventually land a network security position. Im enrolled in WGU majoring in IT security. looking to start soon..

• ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■■□
    You got real answers. You just didn't like them.
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%
    You got real answers. You just didn't like them.

your absolutely right...

• tr1xtr1x Member Posts: 213
    Obtaining a "Cisco Certified Entry-level Network Technician" certification won't get you anything beyond entry-level work without a good bit of networking experience. Are you already enrolled in WGU? If not, get your CompTIA certs and the CCENT out of the way first, it will end up saving you a lot of time and money. Good luck on your studies.
    tr1x wrote: »
    Obtaining a "Cisco Certified Entry-level Network Technician" certification won't get you anything beyond entry-level work without a good bit of networking experience. Are you already enrolled in WGU? If not, get your CompTIA certs and the CCENT out of the way first, it will end up saving you a lot of time and money. Good luck on your studies.

thanks sir.. that's exactly what im doing...

• drkatdrkat Banned Posts: 703
    well unfortunately you wont become an "expert" by going to school and studying books. You'll need to get an entry level network position and focus and focus.. and did I say focus? gain the experience and go from there.
    thanks guys..

• ThunderPipeThunderPipe Member Posts: 120
    Hey there. Realistically. It's difficult to land a job in a department you have little to no real world experience. What you need to do if at all possible, is go chat up your network guys. Hang out with them when you have a break. See if anyone is quitting. See if they have an empty spot on the team. Tell your bosses you want to cross train. Tell them you want to move to the network department. It's much easier to relocate within an organization than to go find a Job out there without the experience. Squeaky wheel gets the grease. You wanna do networking. Tell them. You may not get a raise. You may get the shitty shift. But what you do get is real world experience in that department.