Options

A liltle question about IRQs

Link07Link07 Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello first thanks a lot for your study notes and practice exams, they really helped me a lot ... thank you very much!
i am currently studing for the A+ core hardware exam, and I have a question.. i didnt find anything about this in google... well, my question is this:

In a lot of manuals I read that only can by used 16 numbers of IRQs (0 to 15), but when i went to the device manager on my system and checked the system resources used by my internal modem and network card , they had the IRQ numbers of 18 and 23 ....also a lot of devices had numbers grater than 15........numbers grater than 15 can be used as IRQs numbers? if it is true .. what is the limit?, and if not why the device manager shows that?

sorry if it is a dumb question i am starting in this and i didnt find anything on the net ... thanks for reading !

Comments

• Options
    KGhaleonKGhaleon Member Posts: 1,346 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I can't answer your question, but for the A+ exam only IRQs 0-15 will be used. I wouldn't get too worried about it. I don't pay much attention to the numbering of IRQs and DMAs outside of the A+, it doesn't seem to matter where they are assigned as long as there aren't any conflicts.

KG
    Present goals: MCAS, MCSA, 70-680
  • Options
    ebkrantzebkrantz Member Posts: 41 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Older systems from what i know there irqs were from 0-15 and newer systems can support about 24 and is some casese(depending on what type fo computer) they could have up.
  • Options
    ebkrantzebkrantz Member Posts: 41 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Older systems from what i know there irqs were from 0-15 and newer systems can support about 24 and is some casese(depending on what type fo computer) they could have up.