I don't know how to type!

acv987acv987 Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
I never learned how to type the "correct" way. I use 2-4 fingers, but I can type fairly quickly 40 WMP, without looking constantly. I am currently working towards my degree and certs with WGU. Just curious as to how this will effect me when I'm in the job market or hired somewhere. Should I learn? Would I be a laughing stock typing the way I do?

Comments

• lordylordy Member Posts: 632 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I think only the minority in IT is using the 10-finger-system. 40 WPM should be sufficient.
    Working on CCNP: [X] SWITCH --- [ ] ROUTE --- [ ] TSHOOT
    Goal for 2014: RHCA
    Goal for 2015: CCDP
  • fredd13fredd13 Member Posts: 26 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I don't know many people that can actually touchtype, so I would not worry about it.
    You will get better the more that you type
    Gained Foundation Degree in Computer Network Management
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    If you are hunting and pecking it might draw some laughs, but I don't think its a big deal as long as you can get the job done.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • BradleyHUBradleyHU Member Posts: 918 ■■■■□□□□□□
    i definitely use 10 fingers to type, and without even lookin at the keyboard. i believe i type in the 80-90wpm range. my stepmother taught me how to type when i was young, so its stuck with me thru all these years. it definitely helps, when you're talkin to someone one face to face, and you have to look at them, but dont want to stop typing the email/document that you're working on that moment in time. i always found it weird for ppl(especially 20s & 30s) who work at jobs where they do alot of computer work, but type with their index fingers only. and i also wonder why some of the type-writer generation have troubles going from that to a keyboard as well...
    Link Me
    Graduate of the REAL HU & #1 HBCU...HAMPTON UNIVERSITY!!! #shoutout to c/o 2004
    WIP: 70-410(TBD) | ITIL v3 Foundation(TBD)
  • htebazilehtebazile Member Posts: 52 ■■□□□□□□□□
    i think you should learn.

really, it's such an important skill to have. and there are tons of free typing apps available, some of them are fun typing games, even.

i don't think it would take up a lot of your time (spend 10-15 mins per day) and you will benefit greatly in the long run. i type at more than twice 40wpm (average about 95wpm)..... if you were able to double your typing speed, you can accomplish the same tasks in half the time.

it's really not that hard to learn how to type, even if you already have your own typing method. i didn't learn to touch type until my senior year in high school, but had been using computers since 2nd grade (on a commodore 64) so i was able to aptly type out my papers for school even before learning touch typing (even though back then they still accepted handwritten, my handwriting is messy so i prefered to type them).

at first i was resistant to learning, but it was the best and most useful elective i took in high school.
    ~ elizabeth
  • FiR3xFiR3x Member Posts: 24 ■□□□□□□□□□
    acv987 wrote: »
    I never learned how to type the "correct" way. I use 2-4 fingers, but I can type fairly quickly 40 WMP, without looking constantly. I am currently working towards my degree and certs with WGU. Just curious as to how this will effect me when I'm in the job market or hired somewhere. Should I learn? Would I be a laughing stock typing the way I do?

Just double check that the way you type does not affect your fingers in long-term, I believe there is a healthy way of typing.
  • tprice5tprice5 Member Posts: 770
    As long as you can type quickly without a high rate of errors you are just fine. There are many people who won't agree with that. For example, I had a typing instructor in middle school who hated my typing. It didn't matter that I was the fastest typist in the class, to include the instructor. The fact that I wasn't typing "properly" drove her up the wall.
    A few years later and she is still teaching middle school and my salary surprasseded hers my first year out of college. So I'll just keep on doing what I am doing.
    Certification To-Do: CEH [ ], CHFI [ ], NCSA [ ], E10-001 [ ], 70-413 [ ], 70-414 [ ]
    WGU MSISA
    Start Date: 10/01/2014 | Complete Date: ASAP
    All Courses: LOT2, LYT2 , UVC2, ORA1, VUT2, VLT2 , FNV2 , TFT2 , JIT2 , FMV2, FXT2 , LQT2
  • TackleTackle Member Posts: 534
    That is sufficient. If it takes you 2 minutes instead of 1 to type an e-mail, not a big deal and no one will ever know.
  • EveryoneEveryone Member Posts: 1,661
    I don't know why typing isn't taught more. People are always amazed when they see me type. I learned when I was a child on our Commodore 64, and continued on with various typing programs through most of my grade school years as we upgraded our computers. I can type in the 80-100wpm range with very high accuracy when I have to copy something I'm reading, and probably close to double that when I am typing what I'm thinking. I never look at the keyboard.

It is a very valuable skill. The only down side is, when you type really fast, you can end up making rather long forum posts, because they take no time at all to write. :P
  • TackleTackle Member Posts: 534
    According to Wikipedia, as of 2005 the fastest typer in the world can type 150 wpm for 50 minutes. Her highest clocked speed was 212 wpm.

She can type more in a couple minutes than I speak all day.
  • AkaricloudAkaricloud Member Posts: 938
    I wouldn't worry about not typing correctly but rather not typing quickly and accurately. It will affect your education, your job and most of all, your productivity. Why not just learn to type better? -It really isn't all that difficult of a task compared to some classes you're going to take.

These days every highschooler can type 60+WPM, being that slow isn't going to help you get/keep a job. This was actually a requirement in the school that I went to in order to graduate.

I have a very weird typing style personally where I use all fingers but have lots of cross over and vary which finger to use based on the letter before and after the one that I'm currently typing. Definitely not something that is taught but I can still type 100+WPM very, very accurately.
  • Legacy UserLegacy User Unregistered / Not Logged In Posts: 0 ■□□□□□□□□□
    typing 150wpm consistently for 50min?! thats rough my fingers got tired just from reading that Id be worried for carpal tunnel.. I think only reason i can type fast is because when i had typing class in middle school i learned on a typewriter. Really got to feel every key that was pressed. I can comfortably type at a constant 95wpm but my older brother types with his index fingers he seems to type fairly quick and accurate. So really depends on the individual. Typing class really should be mandatory my little brother types with his index fingers hes terribly slow and its excruciating to watch. He used to beg me to type up his written papers since it'll take me 30 minutes to do what he does in 5 hours.
  • acv987acv987 Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks a lot for all of your advice. I guess I will try to learn, it can't hurt right?
  • the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Best thing I ever did was to take a typing course my freshmen year in high school. My teacher was like a Russian Drill SGT, walked around with a ruler and slapped it on your desk if she caught you looking down. After nine months of this, I type about 90 wpm and it saved my life during college with all the papers I had to write. I to can speak with people, look at them, and not stop typing. Most people get annoyed by this, but I simply tell them that I can listen and type. Can't expect me to slowdown to your speed, if you catch my meaning lol That all being said, I have worked with plenty of people who use the hunt and peck, it won't be any issue.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • BokehBokeh Member Posts: 1,636 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Like everyone has said, the more you do it, the more you will keep up speed and accuracy. I took typing in junior high, but it did nothing for me really. Got to the military, and had to type daily (telecommunications - 5 level tape anyone?). I picked up speed and accuracy there.

If you are really worried about it, pick up one of the typing programs, like Mavis Beacon Teaches Typing (I think you can still buy it). Practice, practice, practice.
  • kurosaki00kurosaki00 Member Posts: 973
    joke thread?
    40 wpm is the standard minimum for data entry. Its a great speed in the keyboard.
    I dont write the "typing class" way either, but gets the job done.
    meh
  • the_hutchthe_hutch Banned Posts: 827
    I'm amazed at how many IT professionals can't. I think it should be a required course.
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I agree, I learned while messing around on the Commodore 64 and other machines my mom and dad would bring home. I'm not a great typist, but I can turn and burn if I need to.

I've actually witnessed someone getting passed over for a reporting job because they hunt and pecked. People would snicker if it was ever brought up. I have to admit watching someone hunting and pecking is disturbing.

I used my own method which is pretty much the 5 finger. I'm sure not every stroke of mine is aligned with touch stroke keyboarding, but it's pretty dang close. And no I don't look at the keyboard.
  • docricedocrice Member Posts: 1,706 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Fast, accurate typing seems to make an impression among people. If I typed at 40 wpm, I'd have a hard time keeping up with the requirements of my job. I touch-type for the most part and I use a Das Keyboard Ultimate at home (the one with the blank keys) to force myself to not rely on looking at the keyboard often. Strong typing skills are a must in this day and age, in my opinion.
    Hopefully-useful stuff I've written: http://kimiushida.com/bitsandpieces/articles/
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    docrice that sounds like a great way to increase your skills. Thanks for the suggestion.
  • jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I think I learned 10 finger typing back in the Commodore days where you had all sorts of computer programs in magazines where you had to type up machine code.

Nowadays i don't even look on the keyboard when typing and can even talk to someone while finishing the sentence ...

Even got the DASKEYBOARD at work now

Buy Das Keyboard Model S Ultimate Mechanical Keyboard

So yea - I am sometimes amazed how some people work for 10 or more years as admin and still don't type quickly with 10, or at least 6-8 finger :)

Edit: Funny, just read that docrice uses the DASKEYBOARD too - awesome keyboard, worth every penny ..
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • MrBishopMrBishop Member Posts: 229
    Nothing wrong with using 2, 3, or 4 fingers to type and from the sounds of it, you can type pretty fast using your method.
    Degrees
    M.S. Internet Engineering | M.S. Information Assurance
    B.S. Information Technology | A.A.S Information Technology
    Certificaions
    Currently pursuing: CCIE R&Sv5
  • demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819
    i cant type either ... i basically bang my head on the keyboard for my thoughts to come out
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • acv987acv987 Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I started doing some lessons today on customtyping.com. So far so good. I did well at the individual finger parts but fell apart trying to do 3 letter words haha. Ill keep trying until I can pass it.
  • SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    My 70wpm comes from many years of PC gaming. Ever since I had to enter in DOS commands to load them up as a kid.
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • MAC_AddyMAC_Addy Member Posts: 1,740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I've never been taught how to type, but I'm pretty fast at typing. A lot of people are amazed when they see me type.

I usually say I can type 200 words a minute... in my own language. That's a Steven Wright joke if anyone has ever heard of him. :)
    2017 Certification Goals:
    CCNP R/S
  • CLEMENTE21CLEMENTE21 Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Not sure if you guys remember this when you were a little kid. There was cat games with learning how to type fast. They taught you where to position on keyboard before typing. I googled for this information but couldn't find it. It was in early 90's. That's how I learned and now I type faster. About 100 wpm.
  • Jacob18Jacob18 Member Posts: 26 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Learn to type!! It doesn't take long and it's a job skill. Even 40wpm like me is good and pretty slow. If it involves a lot of typing I give it to my secretary. She types 90wpm. Never regretted learning it in high school. It's one of the few skills from high school I use every day, like English and math. The 3 Rs.

Funny story. I finally got hearing aids after years of being told to. Came back to office and heard a keyboard click for the first time in 10yrs. I had assumed they stopped clicking with advancements. Funny and I was flabbergasted...lol and yes I got teased a lot that day from staff.
  • ScamcenoScamceno Member Posts: 30 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Just learn its pretty quick and you can tease your family about it when you watch them type. My sisters use the 2 finger method, and I tease her all the time. If your even on these boards, chances are typing is something you do daily.Mavis beacon is how I learned as a freshman in hs, before I knew it im probably around 100WPM(if I know what im typing and make 0 mistakes).

Get mavis beacon and play all the stupid little kiddy games so you know where to put your fingers, and once you got that down just keep using it. You won't realize it, but one day it'll hit you that you type twice as fast as you used to. And you only get faster, plus its nice to not have to even bother looking at the keyboard(unless its not a standard keyboard, or its a different size and you need to adjust).