Microsoft E-Learning Course for MCTS - SQL Server 08, Database Development

the_hutchthe_hutch Banned Posts: 827
So I finally decided to use the e-learning course that I get with my Microsoft Technet subscription. I registered for the MCTS (Exam 70-433) course on MS SQL 08. Does anybody know if this course alone is sufficient to prepare for the exam? I've never taken a Microsoft Exam, but I've heard that they are fairly difficult. Thanks. icon_thumright.gif

Comments

• N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Hutch took the exam about a year ago. Failed with a ~500. It was heavy on XML I know that much.

I would say out of 50 questions 15 I knew immediately and a few others I was almost sure of and then there were a bunch of ????????????

The MS Press Book was okay but with another resource like you are using you might be okay.
  • the_hutchthe_hutch Banned Posts: 827
    Sounds rough. Do you use any practice tests before taking it?

Maybe I should just stick with powerpoint :-/
    Don't let me discourage you! You might be better than me when it comes to SQL and XML. I've had classes 3 to be exact previously before taking the exam and labbed SQL server for a while.

I just didn't spend enough time working with it. Just because I could write an inner/outer join or throw a view on a production table/tables, didn't mean I was ready. There are questions on triggers and stored procedures and you have to know what the code will do. Give it a shot!
    Honestly, I'm comfortable-ish with SQL, but not at all with XML. My vulnerability management job that I got about 5 months ago has me managing a SQL database to manage scan data. But other than that, I have no real experience with SQL or databases. And I've never taken a class in database management either.
    That was my calling for a while. My mother is a DBA so I grew up hearing this and that about programming and databases. I thought it was my calling then got a taste of the business side. The nectar is so sweet I don't think I'll ever go back :)

Regardless I would go out to Amazon and look at the rating on the books. Find the best one or the one with the best reviews and use that to study. Give it a shot. Either way I wish you the best.
  • RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Do your eLearning and then go to PluranSight.com and sign up for their free trial. Watch the videos on SQL and XML. Not the videos on XML but the ones that deal with SQL Server and the XML data type.

If you have no real experience with SQL then you are not ready to start prepping for the exam. You should do a good deal of labbing first. Once you have a strong foundation of the concepts, then start the exam prep.

My suggestion is that you actually develop a working DB from scratch for something practical. Some common examples I suggest: an IT asset management DB or a fitness tracker that tracks different goals and exercises. Use stored procedures to allow CRUD operations (not direct access to the tables).

Comfortable with SQL is not enough for any of these exams.
    My suggestion is that you actually develop a working DB from scratch for something practical. Some common examples I suggest: an IT asset management DB or a fitness tracker that tracks different goals and exercises. Use stored procedures to allow CRUD operations (not direct access to the tables).

I do have about 6 months experience. My new job is vulnerability management. So its a mix of scanning tools (Eeye Retina) and the output of those scans is organized in a SQL database. But I was planning on building one at home for the purpose of tracking different data pulled from my pcaps produced by wireshark. I'm hoping I can use the database to build a baseline model of standard network activity on my network.
    the_hutch wrote: »
    I do have about 6 months experience.

If you had six months full time DBA-Developer experience, yes.
    The content delivery is horrible for the coursework. But I am happy with the labs.
    It's very 2001. But the labs are pretty good and the content is good as well.