What is the most Domains you have seen in a single forest?

discount81discount81 Member Posts: 213
Some of the microsoft study material for the MCITP etc shows example companies with 8-10 domains.

This got me thinking, I've worked for several large companies over the years and I only recall some of them having more than a single domain.

The 2 largest companies I worked for, I only recall a single domain being there however I am sure there would of been more, I was just unaware because I worked on migration projects and didn't really do much in the way of System Administration.
http://www.darvilleit.com - a blog I write about IT and technology.

Comments

• QordQord Member Posts: 632 ■■■■□□□□□□
    We have 6 where I work. We have 5 different organizations that fall under one umbrella organization, so each has their own domain and the overseeing body has their own as well.
  • jmritenourjmritenour Member Posts: 565
    If you're including subdomains, I've seen an AD environment with about 20 total domains. This company was really tight with their security, and very highly segmented.
    "Start by doing what is necessary, then do what is possible; suddenly, you are doing the impossible." - St. Francis of Assisi
  • discount81discount81 Member Posts: 213
    jmritenour wrote: »
    If you're including subdomains, I've seen an AD environment with about 20 total domains. This company was really tight with their security, and very highly segmented.

Were you an enterprise admin, if so how many day to day problems did you encounter just purely in replication ?

I forgot about a large global pharmaceutical company I worked for that had extremely tight security, there was probably 50+ domains there.
    I was only desktop support back then so aside from resetting the odd password I wasn't in AD much.
    http://www.darvilleit.com - a blog I write about IT and technology.
  • the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    We did work for a company where they had brought companies and had to show they were separate. So while they had one helpdesk (and us) they actually have 3 domains, all their equipment was co-located in the same building, but different racks. Finally, separate email accounts.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • jmritenourjmritenour Member Posts: 565
    discount81 wrote: »
    Were you an enterprise admin, if so how many day to day problems did you encounter just purely in replication ?

It was a customer, they were pretty restrictive about what rights they gave on their domain, and I only got called in when there was a problem. As far as replication issues - not as many as you'd think. Granted, they were pretty light on universal groups and cross domain shares, but most of the problems came from shaky site links.
    "Start by doing what is necessary, then do what is possible; suddenly, you are doing the impossible." - St. Francis of Assisi
  • NinjaBoyNinjaBoy Member Posts: 968
    The first organisation that I worked for had (and still has) 3 within the same forest. Now a days, as my department and I support multiple organisations, the max is two.
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    3-4

Different regions globally
  • DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
    includinf sub domains have seen some with very large numbers, many globle compinies a highly segmented so 10+ is not at all uncommon
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
  • bdubbdub Member Posts: 154
    I did help desk for an MSP whose model was to migrate their clients domains to their forest. They had a single forest with probably 50+ sub domains. Thats the most sub domains I have seen.