Options

MIS major emphasis

nms90nms90 Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
which would be the best concentration to choose with my MIS major database,networking or e[FONT=verdana, geneva, lucida, lucida grande, arial, helvetica, sans-serif]-commerance/e-business. What are some jobs i could get out of college with each of these major emphasis or if any? Also which offer the best jobs dealing in job safety etc.[/FONT]

Also which would be a better minor or dbl major with these concentration marketing, decision science or accounting

Thanks and all replies are welcome

Comments

• Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I'd go for database, good amount of jobs and good pay.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    i was really leaning towards e-commerance and e-business. Due to the increase in the digial media/market lately but i may be wrong. What type of jobs are out there for database and are they mostly contract or long term?
  • Options
    MstavridisMstavridis Member Posts: 107
    Well here is the issue with MIS, it is a business degree. Yes it is seen as an IT related job, but if someone comes along with a BS in networking Admin or computer info admin degree you will get beat out in a networking or admin job. People with MIS usually get seated in management jobs. Not sure if that is your cup of tea.

I'm not saying you wont get the job as an admin, its just there are better things that will get you there.
  • Options
    AkaricloudAkaricloud Member Posts: 938
    While it's true that it is a business degree, with technical experience it can be a very powerful combo. In the end it doesn't really matter what your emphasis is on as long as you're gaining experience in the field you want to go into. Your emphasis isn't likely to land you a job nor does a MIS degree entitle you to anything other than a entry level position.

Find what you want to do, start gaining work experience in that field then once you get your degree you'll be in a very good position.
  • Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Database Administration jobs can be long term or short term, but pay is usually good either way.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    To enhance my comp skills should i minor in CS or just keep the accounting?
  • Options
    ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    A big part of minoring or double-majoring should be how much more time you'd need to complete the 2nd major or the minor. I found there are only a few subjects I can minor in that would take substantially less time than just getting a Master's degree, and almost none I could do as a 2nd major quicker. Obviously not all schools are equal in this regard and you may see different results, but I cannot imagine the average MIS degree will have much, if any crossover with a C.S. degree. The math requirements alone could be 20-30 credits.

Anyway, my point is that you might do better to go for a Master's than getting a 2nd degree. MIS is just fine and when it comes to working in most IT infrastructure jobs, it's not going to be much worse than a CS degree.

I would actually recommend database or networking emphases. For entry-level positions, these are going to be more helpful. For non-entry level positions, a major emphasis' role in determining your employment is immaterial to the point of barely existing.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340