How often do you think about leaving IT?

Comments

• the_hutchthe_hutch Banned Posts: 827
    I considered leaving IT and going to law school to study information and intellectual property law. Doubt I'll do it though. Mostly because I have little desire to prep for the LSAT.
  • onesaintonesaint Member Posts: 801
    I couldn't think of leaving IT. It satisfies a personal need (ADD?) to continually learn different and new things. There isn't another industry I know of that has as many different specialties that are as closely knit as in IT. If one area gets boring, I have a dozen more closely related that I can underpin with my previous experience.

I suppose one day the hustle may get old and the long work days mixed with lots of personal time spent on keeping up will get to me. However, I think in that case I would still like to do something IT related like teaching, training, technical writing, etc. Plus I don't think a slower pace would suit me.
    Work in progress: picking up Postgres, elastisearch, redis, Cloudera, & AWS.
    Next up: eventually the RHCE and to start blogging again.

Control Protocol; my blog of exam notes and IT randomness
  • jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Think about it every now and then, daily when I had a rough time at work .. Sometimes I just wish to have an "easy" job where I don't need my brain but can simply do my stuff, leave on time, go home and repeat ..

Having said that - it is all possible, just have to agree for a third of the salary :D
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • lordylordy Member Posts: 632 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I think about it regularly.

When I started my career twelve years ago it was all fun and playing with tech stuff. The tech department seemed anarchic. Knowledge ruled, not titles. These days however, IT has become different. Its way more work and much less play. That makes me a dull boy ;)

I have a few ideas of what I would like to do but the time is not quite right yet. I am saving as much money as I can to be able to life without a good wage for a while when I start something new. It's gonna be good, I hope :)
    Working on CCNP: [X] SWITCH --- [ ] ROUTE --- [ ] TSHOOT
    Goal for 2014: RHCA
    Goal for 2015: CCDP
  • jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I think lordy hit the nail on its head ... It was really "cool" back in the days - now you work constantly out of office hours and get blamed for everything .. I think back in the days you were praised for doing something great - nowadays praise is when you don't get blamed for something not working :)
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    nowadays praise is when you don't get blamed for something not working <----so true!
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • XcluzivXcluziv Member Posts: 513 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I don't think about leaving the IT field. I think the IT industry is one of if not the best industry to be apart of. Depending upon your speciality, there is alot of flexibility in regards to geographic location where you can always setup shop and not necessarily have any overhead to conduct create effective solutions for clients.

I would enjoy sitting in Bora Bora or Dubai on the beach developing solutions.....best of both worlds icon_cool.gif
    LINKED | GTECH | NOTHINGBUTSHAREPOINT - BLOG AUTHOR

"TRY NOT. DO. OR DO NOT. THERE IS NO TRY" - Yoda

• SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    N2IT wrote: »
    @ the Grinch.

My wife who is in her mid 20's graduated from Nursing school just recently

the_Grinch wrote: »
    Yeah, in my area they've run through the pool of new nurses and really want at least a year or two of experience before hiring.

If you were to go into Nursing, better hope you can stand getting a Bachelors in it. Some hospitals are requiring it now for new hires...and eventually for current ones.

N2IT, same thing.

Look it up. :\
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
    Yeah, BSN in 10. Basically states that you have 10 years to get your BSN. Couple programs in my area will take any bachelors you have and in 12 to 15 months you'll have a BSN and your RN license. If you have the ASN, simple enough to finish the BSN online in a year.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • sidsanderssidsanders Member Posts: 217 ■■■□□□□□□□
    quite a bit. the politics of large shops is a killer. i would like to do some "office space", do nothing.
    GO TEAM VENTURE!!!!
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Never though I don't work in the typical 'IT shop' as I'm on the service provider side of the house. Pays very well, I enjoy the work and I'd hate to try and start a new career now that I'm so deep into this one.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • snokerpokersnokerpoker Member Posts: 661 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I haven't thought about it cuz I'm not qualified to do much else. Have to pay the bills for my son who just turned 2!
  • paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    @wellnowwhat - I don't actually have any pearls of wisdom. I can only empathize and wish you the best of luck. I have been fortunate in the past that I have always been able to rely on a professional network to get me through tough patches. I see from your other postings that you are going to continue onward and hopefully upwards. Good luck.
  • astrogeekastrogeek Member Posts: 251 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I grew up around computers and always wanted to work in IT when I grew up, then while in college I became diagnosed with Crohn's disease which demanded I have health insurance. Because of this I had no other choice but to quit school and work a full time job while I try to figure out how to return to my passion - thus was the beginning of my 10 year IT career hiatus.

Now that I finally broke into IT, the concept of leaving isn't a thought I can even contemplate and don't believe ever will. I spent 10 years working sh*t jobs with managers that would scream at the top of their lungs at you for no rational reason - that was just their way of managing. Honestly, I'm still having a hard time transitioning into a job where I sit in an air conditioned building merely using my mind to solve problems, whereas before I was working 70 hour work weeks, often in 100+ degree heat, maxed out on pay and no realistic possibility of achieving anything better for myself.

So to put it simply, if someone were to ask me if I would ever want to leave IT my answer would be a definite "F*ck no!" icon_wink.gif
  • IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    Sorry to hear about the Crohn's disease, astrogeek. I'm glad you found your way back to IT.

I couldn't think of leaving IT either. I was building computers by the time I was 8 or 9 years old and spent my teenage years playing around on BBSes. I always knew I wanted to work in IT but I wasted my teenage years and early 20's on being irresponsible. Now that I'm actually doing what I should be doing, I wouldn't want to ever give up. It's not a matter of not being able to do anything else career-wise, but I can't think of another field that I would be as passionate about. Sure, I could probably BS my way through med school or law school but what's the point if you don't enjoy it?
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
  • undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    I got into IT just because it was what I was good at. I'd always been interested in computers as a kid and taught myself programming because I wanted to make games. Never did end up seriously pursuing that. Then when I dropped out of college I needed to make ends meet so I just did what I was good at and here I am today. I still want to pursue art though, so one day once I am a good enough artist and can make a good living off of it I'll bow out of IT. Of course I realize that I'll never make the same money that I make here, but being debt free makes it a whole lot easier to cope with. The nice thing about being an artist is that it is a whole lot easier to transition to since you can be an artist and work your previously chosen career of IT at the same time.

I definitely have some goals I want to hit first before I ever quit IT though. Both monetary and skill-wise.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • VAHokie56VAHokie56 Member Posts: 783
    Never Matey , caarrrr its the Network life for me...I have been in the game since 2007 and never once thought about turning back, and the way things are going ( knock on wood ) I don't imagine I ever will.
    .ιlι..ιlι.
    CISCO
    "A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish" - Ty Webb
    Reading:NX-OS and Cisco Nexus Switching: Next-Generation Data Center Architectures
  • jamesp1983jamesp1983 Member Posts: 2,475 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Never. I've been fascinated by computers/networking since I was 8 years old. I consider myself extremely lucky to get to work with something I enjoy each day.
    "Check both the destination and return path when a route fails." "Switches create a network. Routers connect networks."
  • gdeusthewhizkidgdeusthewhizkid Member Posts: 289
    I spent the bulk of my 20s pursuing my music career. I entered IT at age 29 because the music industry is hard to really break into. Luckily I had a diploma from lincoln tech to fall back on. I dealt with computers so much in the studio that computers came naturally. If it ever pans out again that's the only way i would leave. As a music producer/mixing engineer. Making and being around music is something I truly enjoy.
    WGU Progress: Progress | Completed | Start Date: 9/1/2012 B.S. Network Management & Design
    Courses Transferred in: BBC1 LAE1 QBT1 IWC1 IWT1 DHV1 CSV1 CWV1 CRV1 DEV1 - 28 cu :roll:
    Down: AXV1 CPV1 WFV1 CLC1

Technical Diploma from Lincoln Tech.
  • AnonymouseAnonymouse Member Posts: 509 ■■■■□□□□□□
    All the time. Having a hard time finding a new IT job that is actually an upgrade from what I am doing now at the new location I will be moving to. I'm thinking of studying something in the medical field 'cause that's just what Filipino's like me do haha.
  • NoercNoerc Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
    watch the IT crowd tv series and you won't ever want to leave lol
  • jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I'm not in IT but I've been doing customer support type jobs related to IT. I'm seriously thinking about taking a break and trying to get into the Air Force. I'm looking at the TACP position a lot.
    Booya!!
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****
  • SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    I'm not in IT but I've been doing customer support type jobs related to IT. I'm seriously thinking about taking a break and trying to get into the Air Force. I'm looking at the TACP position a lot.

Better make that decision quick as military funding and need for more servicemen continue to drop.
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
    TACP is a great job, but very tough. Make sure when preparing that you use the Army's fitness guide. When assigned to an Army unit you'll be held to their standards. That being said, they will more then prepare you for it ;)
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • DevilryDevilry Member Posts: 668
    I never think about leaving these days. I was always into computers as a child, building and selling them by age 8 or so. I worked in IT all though high school until I was in my early 20's. I then got interested in law, because of all the wrong reasons; the money. I saw that lawyers started at 130-150k and got hooked. It lastly only a few months before I realized it was an absolutely terrible field to be in, grimy, shallow and very depressing. I worked in a few firms as a hybrid paralegal and sysadmin(luckily). After a couple years of this, and attempting to keep driving at it thinking I was just paying my dues.. I could not take it anymore. I got hired back into sole IT and its amazing what it did for me personally, life has been grand ever since.

Moral of story: Do what you love, the money will come. Do what you do for the money, you will suffer in life personally.
  • mikedisd2mikedisd2 Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Quite often, I'd think of ditching everything and working on a deep sea fishing vessel. But I can't quit, not while being a sole provider for the mortgage, marriage and midgets.
  • MstavridisMstavridis Member Posts: 107
    This entire thread is BLASPHEMOUS, the only reply should be NEVER. haha
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    In all seriousness to the thread. Hang in there, jumping from career to career can cost you 100 of thousands of dollars if you do this. It has cost me. If I would of stayed at the USDA when I first got out and had 12 years of experience I would of been getting paid good money. Maybe it's for the best, but I contend staying put and grinding it out can lead to some promising job roles and duties.

***If you get a great opportunity go for it of course.
  • cxzar20cxzar20 Member Posts: 168
    the_hutch wrote: »
    I considered leaving IT and going to law school to study information and intellectual property law. Doubt I'll do it though. Mostly because I have little desire to prep for the LSAT.

That would be the mistake of a lifetime. Google "law school scam" sometime and educate yourself. I began my career in accounting and thoroughly researched whether I wanted to change careers and go into law or IT. With the amount of information out there the deniability of ignorance is no longer valid when it comes to the law profession. The grass is NOT greener on the other side.
  • IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    I just read a news article yesterday about a law firm offering $10K a year for entry-level full-time lawyers. Here's the link to the article: Boston Law Firm Got 32 Applicants for Attorney Job Paying $10,000 a Year, Partner Says - News - ABA Journal

You would think that no one would apply but sure enough they already have applicant resumes coming in
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com