Books & test exams to use!!!

normtnormt Member Posts: 65 ■■□□□□□□□□
I bought the all-in-one study guide & the exam cram books to use for this exam ages ago, then I`m sure I read not so long ago that the all-in-one book wasn`t comprehensive enough? Any one any input on these books?

Also, considering buying the Boson tests, any input to this suggestion would also be welcome!!!

Thanks
Elvis Lives!!! Thank you very much!!!

Comments

• Chivalry1Chivalry1 Member Posts: 569
    This is normally something I would not recommend. But Microsoft Security + book did a great job for the exam. I went through alot of those other books and they were to lengthy and hard to understand. I normally never recommend MS books, but in this case they did a great job.
    "The recipe for perpetual ignorance is: be satisfied with your opinions and
    content with your knowledge. " Elbert Hubbard (1856 - 1915)
  • unknown1234unknown1234 Member Posts: 29 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I've personally enjoyed using the examforce testing software which is based off the examcram2 study guides. I've used it for Network+, A+ O/S and A+ Core, and passed everytime first time. I'm network security officer and systems administrator in the US Navy so I do have a heads up. I think testing software is a little bit more important than the study material, only so you know how to take a test and be prepared for testing questions. Hope this helps.
  • Puffy ElvisPuffy Elvis Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Ah! The time honored question of "Best Study Materials". If I could only recoup some of the many hours I've spent separating the chaff from the wheat of study materials- not a fast process I assure you as there is such an unbelievable amount of *crap* published these days for computer certifications.

Ok, enough of the hyperbole! Here is the only reading list you will ever need!

Security+ published by Syngress Publishing
    Security+ by Exam Cram 2 (published by Que)
    Security+ Exam Guide, Test Taker's Guide Series by Christopher A. Crayton

The Syngress book is a wonderfully complete, accurate and detailed. This is your reference book. I read it cover to cover.
    The Exam Cram 2 book is a good overview and kind of gives you a well organized list of details you’ll need to know.
    The last book is a very well written short book on Security that really gives you the big picture. I read this book first.

The general rule of thumb for studying is consult multiple references and rely on some of the great web resources for more detailed explanations. I find the web essential for clearing up apparent or real inconsistencies between different books. Just do a search for whatever is confusing you.

Hope this helps!
  • Puffy ElvisPuffy Elvis Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Almost forgot... practice test recommendations. Normally Transcender has the market cornered in this area but their tests were surprisingly lacking. To be honest, I never found a practice test that closely resembled the actual test.

So, my advice is to simply take a load of practice tests to make sure you understand the material. You will ultimately benefit most by researching the answers you got wrong.

The one thing about CompTIA is that they really provide you with a detailed list of exam topics. Go to their website and download the test objectives and make sure you know everything on that list cold. It's a long list but if you know it in every last detail you should pass the exam.
  • SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    I have to agree, the Microsoft book was pretty good, (I didn't use that one, though, just looked at it at the bookstore.) The one I used was very comprehensive, from Course:

http://www.course.com/catalog/product.cfm?isbn=0-619-21566-6

The lab manual was pretty good. I used this book only, along with some help from sites like this one, and I managed to get myself a nice, healthy 892 on the exam. The nice thing is, Course has a whole series on more advanced topics, like forensics, firewalls & IDS's, web security, etc. . .

(And, of course, the Mike Meyer's Passport book was handy, even if I only got a chance to peruse through it at the store. Even a quick glance at each section was helpful.)

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • FijianTribeFijianTribe Member Posts: 62 ■■□□□□□□□□
    There is also a lab manual for Security+ that goes with the Thomson course book (ISBN: 0-619-12017-7)

ISBN 0-619-13104-7

I took a beta course at the college here, and we used both books.

I'm going through them again to study up to pass the exam.
  • SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    Yup, I had the lab manual, too. Although, through the college, they came as a matched set. All in all, it was a good buy, and I'm definately not going to sell it back any time soon.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • BigO1120BigO1120 Member Posts: 110
    There is also a lab manual for Security+ that goes with the Thomson course book (ISBN: 0-619-12017-7)

ISBN 0-619-13104-7

I took a beta course at the college here, and we used both books.

I'm going through them again to study up to pass the exam.

Check out the review this person gave the material on www.bn.com. It's only one reviewer but I thought I should share this with you all:

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbninquiry.asp?ISBN=0619120177&pdf=y&userid=vb057huCRO
    A Thing Of Beauty Is A Joy Forever
  • BigO1120BigO1120 Member Posts: 110
    Ah! The time honored question of "Best Study Materials". If I could only recoup some of the many hours I've spent separating the chaff from the wheat of study materials- not a fast process I assure you as there is such an unbelievable amount of *crap* published these days for computer certifications.

Ok, enough of the hyperbole! Here is the only reading list you will ever need!

Security+ published by Syngress Publishing
    Security+ by Exam Cram 2 (published by Que)
    Security+ Exam Guide, Test Taker's Guide Series by Christopher A. Crayton

The Syngress book is a wonderfully complete, accurate and detailed. This is your reference book. I read it cover to cover.
    The Exam Cram 2 book is a good overview and kind of gives you a well organized list of details you’ll need to know.
    The last book is a very well written short book on Security that really gives you the big picture. I read this book first.

The general rule of thumb for studying is consult multiple references and rely on some of the great web resources for more detailed explanations. I find the web essential for clearing up apparent or real inconsistencies between different books. Just do a search for whatever is confusing you.

Hope this helps!

Me again...some of the reviewers for the Syngress published book for the Security+ exam were not too pleased with it. Check it out:

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbninquiry.asp?ISBN=1931836728&pdf=y&userid=vb057huCRO
    A Thing Of Beauty Is A Joy Forever
  • WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    BigO1120 wrote:
    Check out the review this person gave the material on www.bn.com. It's only one reviewer but I thought I should share this with you all:

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbninquiry.asp?ISBN=0619120177&pdf=y&userid=vb057huCRO

Those kind of reviews tell more about the reviewer than the products. I don't know that book, so it could very well be true but since it's just one review it holds very little value. Sounds to me like someone expected a book that covers it all, while there's no such thing. You should always use multiple sources (i.e. 2 books, or a book and a CBT, and a good set of practice questions, and uhmm... my TechNotes :)).

Puffy Elvis, your name reminded me of an image you'll probably like:
    http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=278363