Options

Asking for More Cuz' Clearance?

itguy7itguy7 Member Posts: 23 ■□□□□□□□□□
So lets say I'm thinking of switching jobs. This job requires a clearance. It also requires certs that I all have. Education is not posted as a requirement or even mentioned in the posting. It's an analyst position in security. The only thing I lack is the hands-on experience performing analysis. Much of the day-to-day procedures I'm familiar with knowledge-wise. I just haven't gotten the chance to do it at an enterprise level.

How much MORE money can I ask/justify because I already obtain the clearance/certifications even though I lack the security experience/degree? This saves them money from having to pay for certs and clearance process (EXPENSIVE). PLUS the job was posted as immediate need and because I am legally qualified I fit that need in a timely manner.

Maybe 15k? 10k? Anybody have any experience dealing with job clearances and asking more because your literally worth more due to your clearance and the company not having to pay for it? Keep in note I live in national capital region.

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    shodownshodown Member Posts: 2,271
    itguy7 wrote: »
    So lets say I'm thinking of switching jobs. This job requires a clearance. It also requires certs that I all have. Education is not posted as a requirement or even mentioned in the posting. It's an analyst position in security. The only thing I lack is the hands-on experience performing analysis. Much of the day-to-day procedures I'm familiar with knowledge-wise. I just haven't gotten the chance to do it at an enterprise level.

How much MORE money can I ask/justify because I already obtain the clearance/certifications even though I lack the security experience/degree? This saves them money from having to pay for certs and clearance process (EXPENSIVE). PLUS the job was posted as immediate need and because I am legally qualified I fit that need in a timely manner.

Maybe 15k? 10k? Anybody have any experience dealing with job clearances and asking more because your literally worth more due to your clearance and the company not having to pay for it? Keep in note I live in national capital region.

Thanks!

depends on the clearance and the contract.

If you are only going up to a secret clearance don't expect much. I you are going TS/SCI you can squeeze out more, if you are going TS/SCI full scope poly you can get the 10-30K more. But like I said it depends on the contract. Clearances aren't worth as much as they use to be. I actually make more in the private sector than I did with a TS/SCI
    Currently Reading

CUCM SRND 9x/10, UCCX SRND 10x, QOS SRND, SIP Trunking Guide, anything contact center related
  • Options
    ValsacarValsacar Member Posts: 336
    Most of the time, when it says requires X clearance, that means you get nothing extra for having it, besides the ability to apply because you meet the requirements. If it says, "must be able to obtain" then you might be able to get extra.

Are you sure your clearance is still active and valid? When was the last time you used it?
    WGU MS:ISA Progress:
    Required: NOTHING!!!!!
    Current Course: NONE

Completed: COV2, LKT2, LOT2, FNV2, VUT2, JFT2, TFT2, JIT2, FYT2, FMV2, FXT2, FYV2, LQT2
    Started 01 May 2012, Degree awarded 29 Oct 2013
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Don't get too greedy. Trust me, there is someone out there with the certs, clearence, experience and degree that wants this job as well. People with clearance are a dime a dozen around the capital.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Yeah location makes a big difference, where I am at in Michigan clearances were not as plentiful around me. When a clearance security job opened myself and a few people I worked with before all got called. It was kind of funny because we always ended up being each other's referrals. I got kind of greedy out here and got what I always asked for. If I was anywhere else where there is a lot of military bases or federal government facilities the clearance pool of applicants is usually much bigger.
  • Options
    AkaricloudAkaricloud Member Posts: 938
    Wait, you're saying that you lack experience but technically meet the requirement of having a clearance and want to ask for more money because of it? -That would be like me applying for a network engineer position just because the job posting listed a degree as a requirement then demanding more because I have a degree.

Good luck with that.

Employers that list salary are listing it for qualified applicants, not a base plus how much they would need to train someone to make them qualified. It's likely that you can negotiate salary as with any company but I wouldn't try to leverage the clearance to do so. Trust me, they will have plenty of other applicants still considering the area.
  • Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    If it's a contract position then the cash is what it is, I doubt you could get them to boost the pay any and if they did I don't suspect it would be too much. I'd imagine they'd say that due to the lack of hands on experience, they pay is what it is. While I'll agree that clearances are expensive, as shodown said, it really depends on what clearance is required. Secrets are quick and painless, requiring at this point about a month to get (as long as you didn't live in 9 different states).
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff