Need advice on what certs to get....

hamlin69hamlin69 Member Posts: 36 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hello I am currently in the finance industry and I am trying to get into the IT field. I have my A+ certification. I really like networking and want to work in that field of work but I am unsure of what else to get. I know that the network+ exam would be good but I assume CCNA would be better? After I get my CCNA what else should I get? I know there are Microsoft ones but they seem more oriented to windows.

My ideal job would be a network admin or engineer for a company.

Comments

• halaakajanhalaakajan Member Posts: 167
    CCENT > CCNA >MCST:NI > MCTS:AD > MCTS:SA > CCNP > GSEC > VCP > GCIH > SSCP > CISSP > CCIE + MBA (Optional)

Lifecycle of an IT guy :D
  • YFZbluYFZblu Member Posts: 1,462 ■■■■■■■■□□
    You toss those credentials out like every 'IT guy' obtains them at some point or another. How many IT professionals do you know of who have CCIE, CISSP, various MS certs, and an MBA?
  • hamlin69hamlin69 Member Posts: 36 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Not sure what most of those are. I assume the MCST ones are Microsoft. Do I need Microsoft ones to do networking?
  • flt0nujrflt0nujr Member Posts: 65 ■■■□□□□□□□
    hamlin69, if your interested in networking then you should look at first getting the CCNA from Cisco and see if you like it. Most of those who love Networking would probably go for the CCNP at a later time once they have some time within a Noc or as a network engineer. Those other certs listed would take you left, right, back, forth and every which way. I've been in IT for at least 7 plus years and most of the folks here listed don't have all of these certs listed. Stick to one branch in IT and run with the ball.

B.S Information Technology Telecommunications
    A.S Network Server Administration
    M.S Information Security Management (expected 2014-2015)
  • amcnowamcnow Member Posts: 215 ■■■■□□□□□□
    halaakajan wrote: »
    CCENT > CCNA >MCST:NI > MCTS:AD > MCTS:SA > CCNP > GSEC > VCP > GCIH > SSCP > CISSP > CCIE + MBA (Optional)

Lifecycle of an IT guy icon_biggrin.gif

Let's not get carried away. Many of those certifications are for information security and system administration.
    hamlin69 wrote: »
    Hello I am currently in the finance industry and I am trying to get into the IT field. I have my A+ certification. I really like networking and want to work in that field of work but I am unsure of what else to get. I know that the network+ exam would be good but I assume CCNA would be better? After I get my CCNA what else should I get? I know there are Microsoft ones but they seem more oriented to windows.

My ideal job would be a network admin or engineer for a company.

You're already on the right track with A+.

Net+, CCENT, and CCNA are logical choices as well. CCNP would only help. Anything more than this would probably be overkill for what you're trying to do.

BTW, you never mentioned your educational background. This could be a factor. I'm assuming you have some sort of degree in business.
    WGU - Master of Science, Cybersecurity and Information Assurance
    Completed: JIT2, TFT2, VLT2, C701, C702, C706, C700, FXT2
    In Progress: C688
    Remaining: LQT2
    Aristotle wrote:
    For the things we have to learn before we can do them, we learn by doing them.
    I have a degree in Business Finance yes.
  • RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Have you considered something in the database field?
    No I have not, what certs would be beneficial to get into that?

EDIT: So I was looking at the MS certs and I don't have a testing centre in my city for the MS ones.... wow.
    We only have a PearsonVUE here in Thunder Bay, Ontario and they don't carry the MS ones. This sucks.
  • the_hutchthe_hutch Banned Posts: 827
    Oracle or MS SQL certs
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Windows 7 is always a nice one to get. Security + is another if you are eyeing down government work.