CISCO cert is useless in NYC

sizeonsizeon Member Posts: 321
unless you know someone in the field or are already in the field. Everyone wants microsoft, citrix, vmware or comptia certs. Just check online job boards.

Comments

• IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    found 95 jobs in nyc using the keyword ccna and only 42 using the keyword mcitp on dice.com.
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
  • sizeonsizeon Member Posts: 321
    Go back and look at the requirements and qualifications.
  • IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    484 results for keywod "cisco" and 345 for "microsoft certification." these network engineer jobs are mostly asking for cisco certifications. check out dice.com. hopefully thatll help you with your job search :)
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
  • AkaricloudAkaricloud Member Posts: 938
    To be honest most certs are fairly useless, it's the knowledge you gain from obtaining them that is useful. Sure there may not be a lot of jobs that require them but that doesn't mean the experience and knowledge won't land you a position.
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I'd disagree that they are useless, but people need to keep their expectations in check. They aren't a meal ticket.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • shodownshodown Member Posts: 2,271
    I get calls from the NYC, Jersey area all the time looking to hire me and even offer relocation.
    Currently Reading

CUCM SRND 9x/10, UCCX SRND 10x, QOS SRND, SIP Trunking Guide, anything contact center related
    Same here shodown. Definitely not useless, especially in the bigger metro areas.
    I think it comes to a matter of skill. A few years ago I couldn't get a VOIP job to save my life. Now I turn them down all the time. It just takes putting in your time. No easy way to the top.
    Currently Reading

CUCM SRND 9x/10, UCCX SRND 10x, QOS SRND, SIP Trunking Guide, anything contact center related
  • sizeonsizeon Member Posts: 321
    shodown wrote: »
    I get calls from the NYC, Jersey area all the time looking to hire me and even offer relocation.

how? How did u get in?
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    It is a pretty bold statement to say that a major vendor certification is useless in a major city. Just doesn't make any sense.
    sizeon wrote: »
    how? How did u get in?

I think its a combination of my resume, and Certs, and softskills.

The Certs and Resume get me the call. My softskills and technical skills get me to job.
    Currently Reading

shodown wrote: »
    The Certs and Resume get me the call. My softskills and technical skills get me to job.

Truer words have never been spoken. Or typed.
  • rsuttonrsutton Member Posts: 1,029 ■■■■■□□□□□
    cyberguypr wrote: »
    It is a pretty bold statement to say that a major vendor certification is useless in a major city. Just doesn't make any sense.

Most sweeping, blanket statements are often incorrect. Kind of ironic if you think about it...