Options

Taking a job with lower pay, but greater opportunity: Should you do it?

wellnowwhatwellnowwhat Member Posts: 56 ■■□□□□□□□□
I was recently presented with an opportunity to work for a large company as a Helpdesk/Support guy for Apple computers and devices, which is similar to what I currently do. However, there are two things about this opportunity that I'm thinking heavily about:

1) The pay is lower by $2/hr. This isn't a HUGE difference, but significant enough to make me think about it.

2) Because it's a larger company, there is a lot more room for mobility and growth, which is something that I'm severely lacking with my current company.

So, I just thought I'd get some input and see what you all thought. Would it be a bad idea to take this position even though it pays less?

Comments

• Options
    jdancerjdancer Member Posts: 482 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I would if it would lead me to a "dream" position. You need to decide what your "dream" position is and if this opportunity will lead you to it.
  • Options
    halaakajanhalaakajan Member Posts: 167
    Don't leave your job yet. $2 are a lot, it is 4000$ a year. Work towards getting certifications. MCITP:SA would be a great one. Start applying for a better position once you get the MCITP.
  • Options
    shodownshodown Member Posts: 2,271
    I did it about 18 months ago. I left my nice cushy Senior Engineer job for a VOIP support position. 18 months later I'm a Lead Voip Engineer on a global deployment with a way larger increase of pay compared to being a Senior network engineer.
    Currently Reading

CUCM SRND 9x/10, UCCX SRND 10x, QOS SRND, SIP Trunking Guide, anything contact center related
  • Options
    AkaricloudAkaricloud Member Posts: 938
    I wouldn't personally. Have you tried to get them to match it? Go to them and say "Hey, I'm really excited about accepting the position but I can't justify taking a paycut to do it. I'm not asking for much but could you at least match my current wage?".

Most companies won't even have to think about it twice for only $2 more per hour.
  • Options
    wellnowwhatwellnowwhat Member Posts: 56 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Go to them and say "Hey, I'm really excited about accepting the position but I can't justify taking a paycut to do it. I'm not asking for much but could you at least match my current wage?".

I actually just talked to the recruiter for the company and he said he would talk to the hiring manager about how flexible they are when it comes to pay, since I have a lot of Apple experience and certifications. I'm hoping they'll be able to match my current rate, because it sounds like a pretty nice gig.
  • Options
    HypntickHypntick Member Posts: 1,451 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I actually did this and it was the best decision of my career so far. I've ended up learning more where I am now in just over a year than I would have in 5 years at the other position. Also considering the advancement opportunity was less where I left, i've more than made up the difference in pay by being advanced already. You just have to evaluate your position and see if it's really worth the short term loss of money. Good luck with whatever you choose.
    WGU BS:IT Completed June 30th 2012.
    WGU MS:ISA Completed October 30th 2013.
  • Options
    rsuttonrsutton Member Posts: 1,029 ■■■■■□□□□□
    If you are starting out in your career, and by starting out I mean you have less than a few years of experience, take the position that will give you the best experience. Think where you want to be in 5 years and take the job that will get you there.
  • Options
    Alif_Sadida_EkinAlif_Sadida_Ekin Member Posts: 341 ■■■■□□□□□□
    halaakajan wrote: »
    Work towards getting certifications. MCITP:SA would be a great one. Start applying for a better position once you get the MCITP.

He said he wants to work with Apple computers and technology and you're suggesting he get Microsoft certs?

Anyway, to the OP, if you can afford it I would go for it. I did this early on in my career and the experience i gained allowed me to move forward in my career to bigger and better things. Sometimes you have to take one step backwards to take two or three steps forward.
    AWS: Solutions Architect Associate, MCSA, MCTS, CIW Professional, A+, Network+, Security+, Project+

BS, Information Technology
  • Options
    ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I wouldn't, personally. Unless you have very good reason to believe with a high level of confidence that it will get you into a better role, it's a bad move. If they can at least match your rate, great, go for it. A new employer that isn't willing to match your existing pay for essentially the same type of work you're currently doing is probably not an employer prone to giving raises and big promotions. The key there is that you're doing the same job. Taking a pay cut to get into a different specialization is one thing, but taking a pay cut to do the same job? That doesn't make much sense to me.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • Options
    healthyboyhealthyboy Banned Posts: 118 ■■□□□□□□□□
    yeh, if you see no progression in your current one then hop,

its a i.t support role remember i.t support is important, and you get to do a little bit of everythin.
  • Options
    matt333matt333 Member Posts: 276 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I hate to say it but, i wouldn't take the job even if there was better opportunity for growth for the reason that its apple and its limiting your experience to just apple stuff. limited AD, win servers etc.. real infrastructures. not playing around with the prettier side of desktop support. the real jobs are in Microsoft and Linux not apple.. I'd move away from apple and get to know Microsoft or Linux <<IMO of course>>
    Up to you
    Studying: Automating Everything, network API's, Python etc.. 
    Certifications: CCNP, CCDP, JNCIP-DC, JNCIS-DevOps, JNCIS-ENT, JNCIS-SP
  • Options
    SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    I was recently presented with an opportunity to work for a large company as a Helpdesk/Support guy for Apple computers and devices, which is similar to what I currently do. However, there are two things about this opportunity that I'm thinking heavily about:

1) The pay is lower by $2/hr. This isn't a HUGE difference, but significant enough to make me think about it.

2) Because it's a larger company, there is a lot more room for mobility and growth, which is something that I'm severely lacking with my current company.

So, I just thought I'd get some input and see what you all thought. Would it be a bad idea to take this position even though it pays less?

Wait for another job that fulfills #2...and doesn't have you worrying about #1.
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • Options
    JustFredJustFred Member Posts: 678 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Depends on what you are looking for. about a year ago i gave up my desktop support job from a company i was with for 5 years and took a pay cut to become a junior network engineer at another company, I never regretted the decision and i have gained a lot of experience. I'm currently over seeing a large project as the main project manager. I'm still working on my CCNA and hoping to get certified some time soon then off to do some VOIP stuff.

Comfort zones are okay as long as you are continuously learning something new otherwise you are going to have a hard time finding something else and if reorganization comes knocking at the door you are toast. Always try to stay current. I regret being a desktop engineer for so long and getting out of it was the best decision i have made in my career so far.

If you have a partner, its also better to sit down with them and talk things over before making any decisions. It helps when they understand and support where you are coming from.
    [h=2]"After a time, you may find that having is not so pleasing a thing, after all, as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true." Spock[/h]
  • Options
    lantechlantech Member Posts: 329
    If you're going to take a pay cut then you need to be sure that there is more opportunity at this new company.

Some companies don't pay as well as other places because of their name and the prestige that comes with working for that particular company. They know there are people out there that will take pay cuts just to say that they were good enough to work at that company.
    2012 Certification Goals

CCENT: 04/16/2012
    CCNA: TBD
  • Options
    jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Money can't buy job satisfaction - had to learn it the hard way ..
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Based on your earlier posts I think you were wanting to gradually get more into networking and broader systems exposure, and away from focusing on Apple, right? Well since all of your experience is Apple, the next best thing is working for a company that has Apple but also the other usual suspects, and continue working on your certs.

I would see if they would at least match your current pay.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...