CCNA vs ICND1/2

shnelsonshnelson Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
Seriously on the fence about just going straight CCNA, rather than an extended focus on the ICND1 then 2.

Anyone taken this route? I like the idea of it, as you're only sitting one exam (if you pass) of around 50 questions instead of two for the same end result.

Is it beneficial to have a CCENT? I'm not trying to decorate a resume, only interested in demonstrating competency in the technology to my current employer.

I would love to hear from anyone that took the 640-802 and how you felt about it, and if you'd have a different approach if you did it all over again (not re-certify etc)

Comments

• YuckTheFankeesYuckTheFankees Member Posts: 1,281 ■■■■■□□□□□
    CCENT/CCNA = CCNA Neither way makes you look any better, end result = CCNA. I took the 2 exam approach, just so I could focus on the material better. I felt the CCNA as 1 test had too many objectives, so I took 2 test to split them up.
  • matt333matt333 Member Posts: 276 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Same, I suggest the 2 exam route. taking the one is a big risk especially if you've never taken a cisco exam
    Studying: Automating Everything, network API's, Python etc.. 
    Certifications: CCNP, CCDP, JNCIP-DC, JNCIS-DevOps, JNCIS-ENT, JNCIS-SP
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I say go the one exam route. The least amount of tests the better is the way I see it.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • ThunderPipeThunderPipe Member Posts: 120
    I'd recommend the 2 exam route for a few reasons...

- Retest Fees
    - Fail ICND1 or 2 = retest fee of $150
    - Fail CCNA = retest fee of $300
    - Less exam topics
    - 2 certs instead of 1 (if you like to count these things)
    - Speed requirements less for the 2 test route over the single (so says Jeremy from CBT nuggets)

It's been awhile, but I'd take the 2 test route again any day....well....if I was starting from scratch again...icon_cool.gif
  • spd3432spd3432 Member Posts: 224
    I went the one exam route. When I took it, I'd had over 20 years in various IT roles which included time working with network equipment (routers and switches / Cisco, Nortel, 3Com) so while there was a lot of stuff covered in the one exam, not very much of it was brand new.
    ----CCNP goal----
    Route [ ] Studying
    Switch [ ] Next
    Tshoot [ ] Eventually
  • jdancerjdancer Member Posts: 482 ■■■■□□□□□□
    CCNA is really geared toward folks with a background using Cisco anyway. I took the one exam route since I already had experience with Cisco equipment.
  • shnelsonshnelson Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the feedback everyone.

640-802 it is, I will be taking the exam on the last day of Cisco Live in a couple weeks & am enrolled in some of the ICND1/2 labs they have available there.

I have a heavy background in windows/vmware with networking fundamentals down, now it's time to adjust to the Cisco mindset.

Using the following for prep:
    CBT Nuggets ICND1/2
    CCNA Official Cert Library (Odom, 3rd Edition)
    CCNA Study Guide (Lammle)
    CCNA/CCENT Study Guides (Bryant)
    Cisco Packet Tracer
    Day to day touch time with a good mix of Cisco equipment @ work.

I've been casually covering the material, letting it really soak in. I started with Odom's books, which I am finding are great for reference but not necessarily something I want to read front to back (I should have believed all the reviews!). Now I'm on to Lammle's book & pretty optimistic about it after the introduction.
  • prtechprtech Member Posts: 163
    I say go the one exam route. The least amount of tests the better is the way I see it.
    This.

CCNA was my first cert, and I thought 50 questions were better than 100. It wasn't as hard as I expected it to be, but this was two years ago. I don't know if it's much harder now.
    If at first you do succeed, try something harder.
  • drkatdrkat Banned Posts: 703
    One exam, - 45 questions 90 minutes? cant beat that.
  • ToddBToddB Member Posts: 149
    The 1 exam path is fine if you already know networking and just want the cert. If you are mostly new to all this stuff like I was. You will learn 10x more in the 2 exam. Yes a newbe can learn enough to pass the 1 test, but its not about the test or cert but about the knowledge your gaining. I going to head down the voice path and not stay directly in R&S but I still needed a solid foundation.

My 2 pennies!
    :thumbup:

Phil 4:6 "Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God."
    ToddB wrote: »
    If you are mostly new to all this stuff like I was. You will learn 10x more in the 2 exam.

How would you learn more just by taking two exams? Either way you should be learning ALL of the material no matter how many tests. I don't think its a question of whether or not someone should learn all of the material.
  • ToddBToddB Member Posts: 149
    I feel you will retain it more, since my post I looked up information. Hardest part of 1 test path is time. Also I failed the 1st ICND1 twice before I passed, @300 bucks per test I would of gave up before trying a 3rd time.
    :thumbup:

Phil 4:6 "Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God."
    I just don't see how the number of exams you take has any influence on how much info you retain. As far as failing, just make sure you know the stuff the first time and that isn't a problem. :D
  • QordQord Member Posts: 632 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I also went the one test route. BUT...I also went through the Cisco Academy at a Community College first. I also studied like a mad man and labbed everything I could. Time is an issue on that exam, but it's far from impossible.
    Well, I sat the 640-802 last wednesday and am very happy I did.

I did not pass, but overall I was pleased with the exam. I scored 801 and felt very comfortable with time (over 20 mins remaining). I know that's kind of a bold claim for someone that didn't pass, but I'm the type of person that will quickly accept the fact that I do not know the answer to a question & instead of dwelling/burning time on it I start ruling incorrect answers out.

I enjoyed the simulations. Though certain commands would have made life easier, you can quickly understand that Cisco is expecting a particular method in troubleshooting commands.

While I didn't pass, this bout with the exam was cost free and I really can't complain for only having three weeks of applicable study. Now that I know what to expect (and I will have $300 on the line), I plan on retaking in mid July after honing in on my weak spots.
  • spd3432spd3432 Member Posts: 224
    Glad to see you picked up information on your weak(er) areas and getting right back into it. Good luck next month.
    ----CCNP goal----
    Route [ ] Studying
    Switch [ ] Next
    Tshoot [ ] Eventually
    Round two of the 640-802 for me was yesterday, very excited to say I passed!

I studied pretty heavily on what the previous results had indicated as my weaker areas, only to find they didn't improve much. Little disturbed on where I went wrong (again), especially with ACLs since I feel very confident in that area.

Either way, I passed.. & am glad I took the one exam route!
  • mapletunemapletune Member Posts: 316
    Grats on taking the 802 challenge head on and emerging victoriously!! =D

I'm a chicken, going for 2 exam path, heh~
    Studying: vmware, CompTIA Linux+, Storage+ or EMCISA
    Future: CCNP, CCIE