Options

Linux+ or dive right in to RHCSA?

wellnowwhatwellnowwhat Member Posts: 56 ■■□□□□□□□□
I've set up CentOS and Ubuntu servers at home and configured them with different services, such as SAMBA, BIND, and netatalk. I'm fairly familiar with yum and apt, and most other CLI commands.

I'm just curious: Would Linux+ be a better starting point, or, given that I have some knowledge, would jumping straight into RHCSA have a better ROI?

Comments

• Options
    ChooseLifeChooseLife Member Posts: 941 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Depends on what your goals for going after a certification are.

Validating knowledge for yourself?
    Framing your learning process?
    Beefing up resume and increasing chances of getting an interview? If so, what type/level of job are you targeting?
    “You don’t become great by trying to be great. You become great by wanting to do something, and then doing it so hard that you become great in the process.” (c) xkcd #896

GetCertified4Less
    - discounted vouchers for certs
  • Options
    wellnowwhatwellnowwhat Member Posts: 56 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Well, it's a "career change" of sorts. I do Apple support and repair right now, but I'm more interested in moving up into a position as a Server Administrator for Red Hat or other Linux servers. I've sat down the Microsoft stuff and it really doesn't hold my interest like the Linux stuff does, so I'm hoping to transition out of my Apple work environment and into something that involves working on Linux systems.
  • Options
    ChooseLifeChooseLife Member Posts: 941 ■■■■■■■□□□
    If you want to get into Linux server administration, my advice is not to bother with obtaining Linux+ certification. Make sure you know the foundational material this certification covers though.

With certain luck, RHCE may have a positive ROI (i.e. improve your chances of securing a Linux admin job). Studying for this certification will definitely set you on the right track for learning Linux administration.

Good luck
    “You don’t become great by trying to be great. You become great by wanting to do something, and then doing it so hard that you become great in the process.” (c) xkcd #896

GetCertified4Less
    - discounted vouchers for certs
  • Options
    YuckTheFankeesYuckTheFankees Member Posts: 1,281 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I would definitely go the RHCSA > RHCE route. I've never seen an employer ask for the Linux+, you'll learn only basics.