Signed up for eCPPT

jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
So I just signed up for the eCPPT course today before the discount was over.
I hope I have a lot of fun with the course. I saw a few modules that I know I will have problems with but I will spend a lot of time on those modules.
Booya!!
WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
*****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****

Comments

• YuckTheFankeesYuckTheFankees Member Posts: 1,281 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I don't know if you have ever noticed but they always have "Regular price applies from July 1st " , the prices don't really change. I remember seeing the "deal ends June 1st", well today is June 1st and now it says "deal ends July 1st".
  • jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Never noticed that lol. It's cool though because I feel that I have an opportunity to save money and to learn a lot.
    Booya!!
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****
    I forgot to mention, I did not mean that in a negative way. I almost signed up for eCCPT and OSCP but I'm sticking to networking for now. Definitely update us on how the new material is, I'm interested to know.
    It's alright. I didnt take it in a negative way.

I can tell you right now that the material is rough in the beginning if you don't have experience with Assembly and C++. I'm not familiar with Assembly and C++ so this is the reason why I started with the first section. I figure I would understand the other sections easier.

If you've gone over some introduction for Assembly then its not that bad. I think that having a math background of algebra helps with the programming. I think that the first module will motivate me to learn some c++.

If you've been studying security for a little while then you'll come to some things that you should be familiar such as hashing and encryption.

Thats all I have for the first module so far. I think I'll get through a couple of lessons today.
    Booya!!
    C++/ASM is definitely my weakest area.
  • ltgenspecificltgenspecific Member Posts: 96 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Would you happen to have a link to the discounted pricing? Thanks in advance!
    The "discounted" price is on their website.
    This is the pricing for the courses:
    eLearnSecurity - Enroll in Penetration testing course Professional

Alright, I went over the course some more and what I'm writing won't be organized. I'm too tired to do that right now.

I'm having so much trouble with ASM and C++ right now even though its my first time going through the material. Understanding ASM and C++ will really help you with understanding some of the buffer overflow materials that the course covers. So I really really suggest that you learn as much as you can with ASM and c++.

I also signed up for the 30day lab. I felt that I could get more done with 30days instead of 30 hours. But before I go and vpn or rdp to a lab, I'll try to do it on my own desktop using vmware. The course has PDFs that go with the lab so students can answer questions about what they're doing. When/if you're doing the labs on your computer just be careful about running out of ram because of the use of virtual machines and the webbrowser taking up so much space.

Just make sure you turn off the antivirus. I was trying to copy a pwdump and run the program but it wouldn't work until I remembered from a computer security class that I took that I had to disable the antivirus. Also make sure you have a folder for all the tools you'll be using so that the antivirus can have an exempt directory.

Having some basic command line knowledge is very very helpful for linux and windows (xp/7) and it is necessary. Knowledge with backtrack is very helpful too. Knowing some things such as setting up ssh tunnels, wireshark, telnet, passing the hash, pwdump, and using ophcrack will make things easier so far...

I forgot to add..... You might be some reading Italian once in a while. But you'll get by.
    Booya!!
    How is the section on C++/ASM?, are the video's giving a decent foundation or do you have to look elsewhere for better material?
    The sections that work with C++/ASM gives examples of code and how it works on the slides and videos. I have to look for better material because I understand certain things up to a point. So I have a weak foundation from the videos. I tried to get into ASM before I started this course but I didn't get to far. The C++ stuff is where I try to use math to understand what is happening.
    Booya!!
    That's the problem I have found with "hacking" courses, they make a 10-30 minute video about ASM but there's so much to it...you'll probably need 3-10 hours of studying on your own to grasp the damn material. You might want to check out the ASM videos from securitytube.net.

Video Groups (#6)
    Thanks for the link. I will need a few hours to understand the material. I think you have more experience with ASM/C++ than I do. So I think you would do better in the first section than I will.
    Booya!!
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    Learning programming is a lot like learning networking. You do it best hands-on, making mistakes, and learning how to troubleshoot and fix the mistakes. And to get the best out of it, you must remember how you found the trouble and understand why your fixes worked.
    I never thought that I would be interested in security back in 07-08 as I am now and its kicking my butt. If I had known, I would have been taking more classes on programming, databases, and web design.

I really appreciate the advice and I understand where you're coming from.
    Booya!!
    Good luck on the rest of the course. Let us know if you start to grasp ASM a little better.
  • the_hutchthe_hutch Banned Posts: 827
    I never thought that I would be interested in security back in 07-08 as I am now and its kicking my butt. If I had known, I would have been taking more classes on programming, databases, and web design.

I really appreciate the advice and I understand where you're coming from.

Yeah, I'm right there with you. I wish I had started out with CompSci or databases also. I got my bachelor's in network administration, and instead of learning anything, I just found myself doing a bunch of busy work. I'm planning on taking the SPSE (SecurityTube Python Scripting Expert) course before even attempting OSCP.
    I was thinking about learning Python but I think I will get around to it later. I guess it is important to be well rounded for computer courses. I thought I was just taking courses because the college wanted my money. I guess the courses that I took will help me later on.

I'm hoping that this course will help me with the CEH and the OSCP.

I won't be getting a better understanding of ASM/C++ until I review the material a few times.
    Booya!!