32 Bit COmpatibility with 64 Bit

MetaldaveMetaldave Member Posts: 102 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hi all! Happy New Year to you all!

I have a question that is plaguing me and can't get a staright answer on google, so I thought I'd throw it at you guys! (Maybe there isn't a straight one! icon_rolleyes.gif ).

I am building a PC for my friend. I have researched all the parts and he's all happy to go. But we haven't decided to go 32 Bit or 64 Bit processor/board wise.. Was hoping if you coud tell me will 32 bit apps run on the 64 bit system?

Any help would be much appriciated.

Comments

• dmafteidmaftei Member Posts: 83 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Depends on what operating system you'll use.
    BSEE, MSCS
    www.maftei.net
  • MetaldaveMetaldave Member Posts: 102 ■■■□□□□□□□
    We'll Im gonna have to use XP 64 bit edition aren't I?
  • OpenSourceOpenSource Member Posts: 135
    Metaldave wrote:
    We'll Im gonna have to use XP 64 bit edition aren't I?

No. If you go AMD 64-bit hardware (processor/motherboard), you can still use a 32-bit Operating System such as Windows XP Professional. However, you will not be able to run 64-bit software, not that there is much 64-bit software for the average consumer anyway.

If you run a 64-bit Operating System such as the Windows XP 64-bit edition with 64-bit hardware (no 64-bit OS without 64-bit hardware), then you will be able to run 32-bit and 64-bit software. Note however that 64-bit drivers for hardware are still in development so you may encounter problems.

Hope that helps, but if you have more questions or comments, post 'em...

- Joey
    Metaldave wrote:
    Was hoping if you coud tell me will 32 bit apps run on the 64 bit system?
    What I meant is whether or not 32 bit apps will run depends on the OS you use, not on the hardware. Microsoft claims 32 bit applications will run on its 64 bit operating systems, with some restrictions. See http://support.microsoft.com/kb/896456
    BSEE, MSCS
    www.maftei.net
    Unfortunetly that link isn't working.

I was planning on putting an AMD Athlon 64 3500 in to it if all goes to plan. But I think you've cleared things up for me.

Just to be 100% as I'm purchasing this evening/tomo morning. If I use that processor and compatible mobo I will be able to install my XP pro 32 bit version and be able to use all my old apps as usual?

[/url]
    Metaldave wrote:
    Remove the trailing dot icon_smile.gif
    BSEE, MSCS
    www.maftei.net
    dmaftei wrote:
    Metaldave wrote:
    Remove the trailing dot icon_smile.gif

Gentleman, thank you. :D
  • xeviousxevious Member Posts: 59 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Have a look at www.planetamd64.com for driver support. Hopefully you'll be able to found all you need to have a clean device mgr view.

You'll want to have a look at Avast antivirus as well, else the security center icon will flag 'no av installed' even if you installed a 32bit antivirus package. Kind of annoying, but your preference.

Have fun.
    That's an awesome site! Thanks for info :)