Options

What Is Good Way To Resolve SHARE/NTFS Permission Questions?

JLLJLL Inactive Imported Users Posts: 74 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hello,

I am currently working on the study questions available through the Microsoft Press Readiness Review Suite for the 70-290 Exam. It appears that the Share/NTFS Permission questions are presenting some trouble for me. I completely understand what each Share/NTFS permission allows or denies, but the problem comes in when I am given a list of requirements that I must meet.

If anyone would like to share some type of methodical approach that may help, it would be greatly appreciated. I’ll be happy to send a screenshot of a sample question to your e-mail address if desired.

Thanks in advance.

JLuna

Comments

• Options
    Thank you Webmaster.
  • Options
    TrailerisfTrailerisf Member Posts: 455
    #1 thing to remember. Share permissions are greater than NTFS.

When you create a shared folder default permission is everyone READ. Alot of the questions revolved around that.
    On the road to Cisco. Will I hunt it, or will it hunt me?
  • Options
    Trailerisf,

Thank you for your input. However, the problem I was having had to do with meeting all the requirements demanded by an organization regarding the security of a shared folder and what users can and cannot do within it based on their department. The extensive list of requirements were so great that, at first, really overwhelmed me. It also didn't include terms like 'Read', 'Write' and 'Change' which made it even harder for me. But after taking it apart, one requirement at a time, it wasn't so bad :)

Again, thanks.

JLuna
  • Options
    TrailerisfTrailerisf Member Posts: 455
    Only way that I do it is start from the top and work your way down (folder wise)
    Share Permissions always come first, then NTFS.

You want to grant a little more access with share and then tighten with NTFS...

If you are too restrictive with share, you can do nothing with NTFS later to ease the restrictions... Hope that helps.
    On the road to Cisco. Will I hunt it, or will it hunt me?