Options

MP3's

Lee HLee H Member Posts: 1,135
Hi

Does anyone know of a way to stop users on our network saving MP3 files to their home folder, every week we search for MP3's and find quite a few.

Thanks

Lee H

Comments

• Options
    Ricka182Ricka182 Member Posts: 3,359
    You could put a disk quota on their folder. If they download too many, they'll run out of room.
    i remain, he who remains to be....
  • Options
    TrailerisfTrailerisf Member Posts: 455
    Lee H wrote:
    Hi

Does anyone know of a way to stop users on our network saving MP3 files to their home folder, every week we search for MP3's and find quite a few.

Thanks

Lee H
    You could get someone to implement a company policy against it and deal with them afterwards.

I am assuming that you are talking about the home folders being stored on the network. Try showing the people how to save them localy on their c: drive.

But an easy way to stop that? Not that I know of.
    On the road to Cisco. Will I hunt it, or will it hunt me?
  • Options
    seuss_ssuesseuss_ssues Member Posts: 629
    Make a script that at login or logout that searches for all *.mp3 files and then deletes them.

//begin batch

cd which_ever_directory_has_they_are_storing_files_in
    del /s *.mp3

//end batch

i havent done any batch files in soooo long but that should change directory to whatever directory you specify and then delete all mp3 files in that directory and in its sub folders

***edited

you may want to add the /q flag so that it doesnt ask "are you sure you want to delete this file"
  • Options
    keatronkeatron Member Posts: 1,213 ■■■■■■□□□□
    There are several third party apps that will do this.
  • Options
    woodwormwoodworm Member Posts: 153
    You could get someone to implement a company policy against it and deal with them afterwards.

Exactly, your company could be prosecuted as saving copyrighted material on a file server can be counted as illegal file sharing.

I would go along with the logon script idea and also implement a policy that prevents Windows Media Player from being launched by staff.

We have the company policy implemented, and then we do a manual search of all directories on the file servers on a regular basis, but since we sent out the original warning staff have never saved any mp3's back to the file servers (though to be fair, the IT department were originally the worst offenders!!!).

You probably shouldn't encourage them to save the files on to their local drives though.
  • Options
    Lee HLee H Member Posts: 1,135
    Hey thanks guys

will look into the script file and see if its possible, we dont allow pupils to save their work localy their home folder is on our server so thats not an option, interesting comment about storing ilegal mp3's it causes a little worry

Lee H