Ever sell books on Amazon? They rob you!

mog27mog27 Member Posts: 302
I am selling a handful of my old computer/certification/tech books on amazon.com. They only give you a $3.49 shipping credit which is never enough. So this book I just sold (they bought it for $14) cost me over $8 to ship and they took a commision of $4.32. I only netted about $4 on a book that sold for $14. That is B.S. icon_mad.gif

Anyone else sell books on there that agree with me?
"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Ben Franklin

"The internet is a great way to get on the net." --Bob Dole

Comments

• TeKniquesTeKniques Member Posts: 1,262 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Yeah that sucks, but it is great for people like me who have bought all my books used (or so they say) from Amazon and have made out like a bandit because the book is essentially new and in excellent condition.

I have noticed that a lot of the people who sell books on Amazon are usually book stores that just couldn't sell it in the store.
  • vexvex Member Posts: 113
    $8 to ship sounds high!!! Were you shipping out of the country? Or you dont live in the USA.

I sell stuff on Ebay all the time and it's never cost me that much to ship a book!
    Ancient Certs:
    Exam 70-064: Implementing and Supporting Microsoft Windows® 95
    Exam 70-067: Implementing and Supporting Microsoft Windows NT Server 4.0
  • mog27mog27 Member Posts: 302
    vex wrote:
    $8 to ship sounds high!!! Were you shipping out of the country? Or you dont live in the USA.

I sell stuff on Ebay all the time and it's never cost me that much to ship a book!

Nope. In the country. I go to USPS.com. It was a 4 pound book and it came to a little over $8.
    "They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Ben Franklin

• TeKniquesTeKniques Member Posts: 1,262 ■■■■□□□□□□
    mog27 wrote:
    Nope. In the country. I go to USPS.com. It was a 4 pound book and it came to a little over $8.

Are you using the media mail rates?

http://www.usps.com/send/waystosendmail/senditwithintheus/mediamail.htm
    TeKniques wrote:
    mog27 wrote:

I dont think you can print labels online for media mail.

• SRTMCSESRTMCSE Member Posts: 249
    mog27 wrote:
    TeKniques wrote:
    mog27 wrote:

i don't think you can but since that's "amazon's preferred method" that's all they pay you to ship (media mail rates), anything above that is on you. I sold a bunch of cert books on amazon and made off nice on em.
    SRTMCSE wrote:
    mog27 wrote:
    TeKniques wrote:
    mog27 wrote:

i don't think you can but since that's "amazon's preferred method" that's all they pay you to ship (media mail rates), anything above that is on you. I sold a bunch of cert books on amazon and made off nice on em.

So next time I guess I have to go to my local post office and request media mail shipment? Sucks that you can't do that online. Printing and paying shipping online is so convenient.

• JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    I've sold over 100 used books using the zShops on Amazon.com. I always ship Media Mail unless the buyer requests a faster shipping method, then I have them pay for it. The fact that Amazon doesn't reimburse me fully for the shipping rate only causes me to tack another dollar or two on to the price of the book. I've used Media Mail to ship books to Brazil, Switzerland, and the Philippines and it usually takes 6-8 weeks to arrive, but it's cheaper for the buyers. The post office near me has short, fast lines, so I never bother to try shipping any other way.
    I lost some money but now I know to always use media mail for this. :)