Do I understand this correctly?

MeanDrunkR2D2MeanDrunkR2D2 Member Posts: 899 ■■■■■□□□□□
When it comes to the new MCSA Server 2012, that if I have MCITP Enterprise Desktop Administrator, I can upgrade that directly to MCSA Server 2012 just by taking the Exam 417?

Now, since i have passed the 70-680, I started working on 70-640 not long ago to get the MCITP SA and was wondering if it would be better for me in the long run to get the 70-686 and finish that, then take up the 70-417 to upgrade to MCSA 2012 and be a few less tests to take to get the MCSE 2012 Server Infrastructure?

Originally I was going for the MCITP EA, but with the changes to the certifications it makes little sense to go that route now.

What would you do?

Comments

• cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    It seems any of the below are directly upgradeable to MCSA W2K12 via the 417 exam.

MCSA_Step1.png
  • MeanDrunkR2D2MeanDrunkR2D2 Member Posts: 899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Interesting.. Now I may end up rethinking my certification strategy. I'm probably a few weeks from taking the 70-640 at least, maybe a little longer. Just wondering if I should drop that strategy and go into the 2012 server. At my work we will be converting all of our servers over to 2012 by the end of this year so I'm a little curious which route to go. (I currently work as a Desktop Administrator)
  • hennrizzlerhennrizzler Member Posts: 23 ■□□□□□□□□□
    It might be a bit too early to comment as they've not released what the course/guidelines for the 417 is yet. I've got EDA and although getting MCSA:2012 with just one exam sounds great, it greatly confuses me.

I mean EDA is a client exam.
    MCSA/VA/EMA are a server exams.

If both require 417 then I assume the 417 exam will have a large mixture of both types of questions and will be quite difficult? It's the only way I can justify why one exam can grant two people, those who did the MCSA/VA/EMA (which is the more difficult track) and those who did the EDA (basically deployment and gpo), to have the same level of ability at the end of it? Otherwise we'll have people who know servers calling them MCSA:2012 and those who don't also calling themselves that.

Doesn't this stike anyone else as odd?
  • pumbaa_gpumbaa_g Member Posts: 353
    I believe the upgrade path is only relevant for MCITP EA and SA and not EDA. This is because these exams already cover the basics of 2008 Environment namely Active Directory 70-640/Network Infrastructure 70-642 & Server Administrator 70-646.

I suspect at this point that the upgrade option is only effective for MCITP SA as the 2012 Certifications published have the same 3 exams for 2012. For EA Windows 7 will be replaced by Windows 8 so 70-687 for Windows 8 will be one requirement that I feel may be included in the future.

I am currently on the EA Track, the plan is to give my Application Infrastructure and Windows 7 exam this month (MS has this offer for Windows 2008 and Windows 7 exams valid upto 30th June wherein you will get a free voucher for the 2012 or Win 8 exam if you book your exams by then)
    Hopefully this will pay for my Win 8 and possibly (fingers crossed 417) icon_wink.gif
    [h=1]“An expert is one who knows more and more about less and less until he knows absolutely everything about nothing.” [/h]
  • MeanDrunkR2D2MeanDrunkR2D2 Member Posts: 899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    From what I read is correct, an MCITP in the image shown by cyberguypr which is also on MS site, it shows that one must only do the 417 exam to upgrade to the MCSA 2012 if they have MCITP: EDA. My guess is that the test will not be an easy one, and will encompass quite alot to get that designation for MCSA 2012. That one test may not be an easy one, but could be a faster path for someone in my shoes right now.

Of course, it would have no bearing on getting the MCSA 2008 which I'd still have to finish out the SA track, but if it's a newer certification and I can get there faster (and less money) it may be worth skipping MCSA 2008 in the long run.
  • LayOffPayOffLayOffPayOff Member Posts: 30 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Ive read over these charts and i dont see anything that specifies an upgrade path for MCITP:EA, only EDA. The only way I can understand it is that MCITP:EA = MCSA2008, and therefore the upgrade path for SA and EA are the same, which also means unless your career goal is to work with Win2008, there is no point in taking the extra exams to earn EA. Just go for SA/MCSA2008 and follow the upgrade path to 2012.

Thoughts?
    WGU BSIT-Network Administration: March 2012 - Jan 2013
    -Courses Completed: ORA1, WFV1, COV1, CQV1, BNC1, MGC1, TPV1, DFV1, CUV1, BOV1, AHV1, AIV1, AJV1, SBT1, RBT1
    -Courses Transfered: AXV1, CPV1, CSV1, CTV1, AGC1, BBC1, CLC1, LAE1, LUT1, QBT1, INC1, INT1, GAC1, HHT1, DHV1, CWV1, QLT1, DEV1, BVC1, IWC1, IWT1
  • pumbaa_gpumbaa_g Member Posts: 353
    You are right on that one. However, as MeanDrunk said the 417 will be a tough one to pass as it will include pretty much everything on 2012 environment. Personally I still believe its not worth missing out on the info that 70-643 provides thats why I want to go in for it.

Keep in mind that 2012 and Windows 8 have not been released yet with a late 2012 launch the market for 2008 will be around for another 3-4 years (atleast). The last study I checked on MCP Magazine pegged the figures of Enterprises still using 2003 at 74%
    [h=1]“An expert is one who knows more and more about less and less until he knows absolutely everything about nothing.” [/h]
  • method115method115 Member Posts: 85 ■■□□□□□□□□
    pumbaa_g wrote: »
    You are right on that one. However, as MeanDrunk said the 417 will be a tough one to pass as it will include pretty much everything on 2012 environment. Personally I still believe its not worth missing out on the info that 70-643 provides thats why I want to go in for it.

Keep in mind that 2012 and Windows 8 have not been released yet with a late 2012 launch the market for 2008 will be around for another 3-4 years (atleast). The last study I checked on MCP Magazine pegged the figures of Enterprises still using 2003 at 74%

If this is true that's a large portion of people that will most likely go straight from 2003 to 2012.
  • ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■■□
    pumbaa_g wrote: »
    You are right on that one. However, as MeanDrunk said the 417 will be a tough one to pass as it will include pretty much everything on 2012 environment.
    I took the upgrade path from 2003 and 2008, and if people's comments about the core MCITP tests are any guide, I got off easy. Upgrade might actually be the easier path.
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%