winnt.exe vs winnt32.exe

kingfishkingfish Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
I am really confused! Do you use winnt.exe to upgrade to 2000 from 3.1,9x or winnt32.exe. I have searched and searched and still can not find a clear answer. Can anyone explain these two files to me?

Comments

• vexvex Member Posts: 113
    Running Winnt.exe, performing a network installation, starting from the Windows 2000 Professional operating system CD, or using the four boot floppy disks performs a clean installation and does not allow you to upgrade. You must be inside the existing operating system to upgrade.

Running Winnt32.exe from the command prompt installs or upgrades Windows 2000 Professional from a previous version of Windows 95, Windows 98, or Windows NT Workstation 4.0 and 3.51.

Hope this helps

Cheers
    Ancient Certs:
    Exam 70-064: Implementing and Supporting Microsoft Windows® 95
    Exam 70-067: Implementing and Supporting Microsoft Windows NT Server 4.0
    here is a link to more info:

Intstalling Win2K
    Ancient Certs:
  • kingfishkingfish Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
    So you use winnt.exe for clean installs and winnt32.exe for upgrades right?
    Correct
    Ancient Certs:
  • kingfishkingfish Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks taking the OS tomorrow and this is no time to be second guessing myself!
  • Whiteice27Whiteice27 Inactive Imported Users Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    WINNT should be used when upgrading from 95,98 and ME
    WINNT32 should be used when upgrading from WinNT and Win2000

This is what the exam wants you to know when preforming an upgrade, use this information to estimate your answer, be sure to pay attention to the question and what its asking of you.
    If you try to fail and succeed, which have you done?
  • WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    Whiteice27 wrote:
    WINNT should be used when upgrading from 95,98 and ME
    WINNT32 should be used when upgrading from WinNT and Win2000

This is what the exam wants you to know when preforming an upgrade, use this information to estimate your answer, be sure to pay attention to the question and what its asking of you.
    No, that is not correct, it won't even work. And it's certainly not a matter of 'what the exam wants you to know', and there's no need to estimate the answer, it's a matter of technical facts that can be confirmed simply by reading the product documentation, or trying it out in a real-world scenario.

icon_arrow.gifwww.techexams.net/technotes/aplusos/upgrading_windows.shtml

And here's one of the many documents at microsoft.com that will confirm it:
    icon_arrow.gifwww.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Windows/2000/server/reskit/en-us/prork/prbb_iwp_iruj.asp

Winnt is never used as an upgrade utility. That's why CompTIA is confusing people because they list "Determine correct upgrade startup utility (e.g. WINNT32 vs WINNT)" as an exam objective. For the win 9x/2000/xp this is not a valid choice as winnt is never used to perform a real upgrade, which must be done from within the 32-bit Windows OS, using winnt32.
  • JubiJubi Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Ya thats what I heard, is that you use Winnt32 within windows and Winnt in command prompt.