Static routes in the LAB

karnivorekarnivore Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi all, few moths ago i had a trouble with BGP in peering with loopback interfaces and I understood what's the way to peer in that fashion: "An static route to loopback neighbor interface" anyway CISCO sais this is the way to do it and it works perfectly, but the question is, since in the Lab they say NO STATIC ROUTES!!! what's the way to peer? redistribute connected???(is doesn't works in my lab, eighbors stick in active state not in stablished) that's messing me around cos if i don't know if an static route will break down my exam or will be fine. Please can anyone help me with that stuff???
Thank you all mates.

Comments

• darkuserdarkuser Member Posts: 620 ■■■□□□□□□□
    you only need a static route when you're not directly connected to your peer's ip and are not already learning your peer's ip address thru an igp.
    in most real world cases you just add a static route to the peer's loopback to the directly connected serial.

in the lab you simply advertise the loopback in the igp of choice.
    what you do in the lab also depends on what is presented to you and is not defineable here.
    rm -rf /
  • Ten9t6Ten9t6 Member Posts: 691
    darkuser wrote:
    you only need a static route when you're not directly connected to your peer's ip and are not already learning your peer's ip address thru an igp.
    in most real world cases you just add a static route to the peer's loopback to the directly connected serial.

in the lab you simply advertise the loopback in the igp of choice.
    what you do in the lab also depends on what is presented to you and is not defineable here.

I agree.....IBGP peering is taken care of with the use of the IGP that you are told to use. Internally, since you peer to loopbacks for reachability, you have to advertise this.....Now, if your talking about reaching outside of your AS from an Internal peer......you can use static routes on your border router, redist. connected, or....next hop self......something to tell your internal routers how to get to that network. If this is not done, you will have hidden routes....Does this make sense?

Kenny
    Kenny

A+, Network+, Linux+, Security+, MCSE+I, MCSE:Security, MCDBA, CCNP, CCDP, CCSP, CCVP, CCIE Written (R/S, Voice),INFOSEC, JNCIA (M and FWV), JNCIS (M and FWV), ENA, C|EH, ACA, ACS, ACE, CTP, CISSP, SSCP, MCIWD, CIWSA