Wireless issue

TrailerisfTrailerisf Member Posts: 455
Friend of mine has a D-link Di-524 wireless router in his store.

WPA encryption with two computers connected directly to the router through network cables.

When his laptop attempts to join the network when set to WEP it takes forever and a day to connect. WPA enabled and its instant.

He can browse the network but cannot get ANY internet what-so-ever... Anyone else gone through this before???

No, port 80 is not being blocked on the router as the Desktops work perfectly normal and have internet access.
On the road to Cisco. Will I hunt it, or will it hunt me?

Comments

• JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    It sounds like a DNS problem. Is the laptop DHCPing from the router or it is a static network configuration? Make sure the DNS address the laptop is using is the same as the router's internal gateway address. Use a public DNS (e.g., 4.2.2.2) as a secondary DNS address.
  • TrailerisfTrailerisf Member Posts: 455
    Address is fine. Gets assigned a dynamic IP ( and varies on 192.168.1.*) Gateway is fine also.

Its not going to be an "easy" issue to resolve.
    Can you ping your ISP's gateway from the laptop? If so, how about pinging cisco.com and 4.2.2.2? If all that works, open a Command Windowsand FTP to ftp.microsoft.com. This will verify if your laptop has Internet connectivity or not.

If your laptop can browse shares on your LAN then it your wireless is configured properly, so I'm thinking a misconfiguration on the laptop is the problem. Try using a different Web browser.
    No external pings and yes, you can ping the gateway which is on .1
    I owuld have used mozilla instead of ie... but no external pings work... ie pinging yahoo.com
  • dmafteidmaftei Member Posts: 83 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Trailerisf wrote:
    When his laptop attempts to join the network when set to WEP it takes forever and a day to connect. WPA enabled and its instant.
    So, if you configure the laptop to do WPA everything works fine (browsing the web and stuff)? But if you configure the laptop to do WEP you can browse the internal network, but not the web? Do I understand you correctly?
    BSEE, MSCS
    www.maftei.net
    Trailerisf wrote:
    No external pings and yes, you can ping the gateway which is on .1
    No, not your internal gateway on your router. Ping the IP of your gateway to the Internet assigned to your router by your ISP. This would be the external IP address your router uses. You need to look in your router's configuration to see this external gateway address.