Must Have USB Tools?

IndyLovelessIndyLoveless Member Posts: 42 ■■□□□□□□□□
What are the apps that everybody needs to have on their USB thumb drive? What is your favorites?

Comments

• GeronimoGeronimo Member Posts: 31 ■■□□□□□□□□
    There's way too many on my flash drive to list. CCleaner, SIW, and WinDirStat are frequently used. if you haven't already done so, I would check out the following sites:
    PortableApps.com - Portable software for USB, portable and cloud drives
    The Portable Freeware Collection - Latest entries
  • GeronimoGeronimo Member Posts: 31 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I also like using the filehippo update checker (standalone version) on non-managed computers.
    FileHippo.com Update Checker - FileHippo.com
  • IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    I have bootable WinXP, AVG and Win7. You have no idea how many times I've needed them. For everything else, there's my CDs with various tools. I don't like to put EVERYTHING on USB because they get hard to manage and much easier to lose
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
  • DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
    This really is a open ended question, so much depends what work you do. For example Iris mentioned ccopied of Windows, but as a network engineer I have no need of these at all, that kind of thing stays safly burried on a 500gb exxternal USB ddrive at the bottom of my bag/draw.

On the other hand, wireshark, ip scanners, tftpd32 (tftp server), fileziller, cattools, putty and various other tools at the ones i keep to hand on a USB key. As well as a copy of my work related bookmarks
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
  • the_hutchthe_hutch Banned Posts: 827
    Backtrack bootable USB
  • WafflesAndRootbeerWafflesAndRootbeer Member Posts: 555
    Slapping together a good set of boot-accessible diagnostic and recovery tools is the way to go now that all PCs support USB booting. Several years ago, that wasn't the case and swapping CD/DVD media for various programs and compilations was no fun. Now I can fit it all on one fast and fat flash drive with room to spare for on the fly data recovery if need be.