Options

Good General IT Certs?

I'm currently a field technician and am looking to eventually get into Networking or Security (haven't decided yet). I got my A+ on my own, and my company sent me for training when I asked to go for my Network+.

I asked the person who manages all the company training if we have any vouchers left for New Horizons and she happily said that we have plenty, but I'm afraid that my manager might turn me down since it's not directly related to my current job.

If that's the case, can anyone recommend some good certifications that apply to all IT and would look good on a resume? I'm guessing something along the lines of MCITP, etc.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!
Goals for 2014: CCNA: Voice / CCNA: Security

Comments

• Options
    MrBishopMrBishop Member Posts: 229
    If you're getting into networking and security, I think you might want to go ccna, ccna security, etc.
    Degrees
    M.S. Internet Engineering | M.S. Information Assurance
    B.S. Information Technology | A.A.S Information Technology
    Certificaions
    Currently pursuing: CCIE R&Sv5
  • Options
    the_hutchthe_hutch Banned Posts: 827
    Honestly, I'd say the goals you have listed in your signature block is exactly what you should be doing, given your interests.
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    If you are a field technician and you are looking at getting higher level certs that are related to your job that could possibly help I would go for these.

CCENT. Sell your manager that's it's basic network connectivity maybe push for the CCNA your call

70-680 and 70-685 would be snap right into the work you are doing and could prep you for system admin work. I personally would go with that, but who asked me

But like Hutch mentioned if you could pull off what you have listed in your signature why not!:)
  • Options
    ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Security+ or CCENT or CCNA are definitely your next steps.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • Options
    NytrocideNytrocide Member Posts: 225
    N2IT wrote: »
    CCENT. Sell your manager that's it's basic network connectivity...

I actually pushed for CCENT before taking Net+ but he said it was too vendor specific to Cisco. icon_rolleyes.gif Looking back I'm sorta happy I took Net+ first though...good basic network knowledge either way.
    Goals for 2014: CCNA: Voice / CCNA: Security
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    There are a couple of different directions you can go and none of them are wrong IMO

If you can get "free" training I would do it. That's like free matching money in your 401K.

If you can't get him to sign off on the CCENT or the CCNA, I would go for 70-680 and/or 685. Get something for free at least IMO. It won't hurt and I'm sure you can get buy in from your boss. It might also help get you into a system admin role which then you could later transition into a network admin role. Just my little mind thinking but it maybe something you want to consider. I would also look about sneaking the networking Microsoft server one by him. It has MS on it and it's server related, but has some networking to it. I think it might be the 682, but I am not sure. That's another option I would consider. Maybe one of the sys admins would chime in and give more thought to that idea.

Of course Security + is a good one, but that's easy to obtain so I would go for the bigger hitters if they are paying.
  • Options
    KrunchiKrunchi Member Posts: 237
    Nytrocide wrote: »
    I actually pushed for CCENT before taking Net+ but he said it was too vendor specific to Cisco.

It seems that your manager makes the call have you asked them what they would like to see you take?
    Certifications: A+,Net+,MCTS-620,640,642,643,659,MCITP-622,623,646,647,MCSE-246
  • Options
    grande25grande25 Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    If you're looking for federal work they classify Security+ as "IA tech level 2" or "IA management level 1". Sec+ coupled with your bachelor degree really should qualify you as the IA management level 1 position. CISSP would be IA management level 2 which is the next step up.

I have security+ and am currently working on CCNA. Learning Sec+ was a great learning experience and covers more management level material. CCNA is also a tremendous learning experience but is definitely more hands on and technical. The cisco series of certifications will really put you through the numbers and build hands-on confidence. Security+ will make you they guy raising the BS flag in staff meetings when people want to do unsafe/stupid things with the network.
  • Options
    universalfrostuniversalfrost Member Posts: 247
    since you already have A+ get your security+ then go down the ccna/ccent route.

of course if you don't like the net+ route you can go get your cissp after you get your security+, then you get your CEH and some of the other more concentrated security/forensics certs...
    "Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati" (when all else fails play dead) -Red Green
  • Options
    4_lom4_lom Member Posts: 485
    The CompTIA exams are about as general as they get...
    Goals for 2018: MCSA: Cloud Platform, AWS Solutions Architect, MCSA : Server 2016, MCSE: Messaging

• Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    Since you're wanting to build up a nice, rounded IT foundation, I'm guessing to move up and out of your current position, I'd say following your current plan is a good idea. After you're done with that, I could recommend getting some Linux and Microsoft Windows experience under your belt as well:

Security+ - > CCENT - > CCNA -> Linux+ -> MCSA (2008 or 2012)

From there, you'll have to start thinking about what you want to do, what you're currently working with, where you think you'll be ending up, etc. Becoming intermediately experienced on a lot of different things is good, but sooner or later you'll have to pick an expertise (or two) if you want to move out of the low-to-mid range of IT work. The nice thing is, having that solid foundation will help you not only find your specialty, it will also help you if (and when) you should ever have to take on responsibilities outside that specialty.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    cglgolfcglgolf Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I have a few questions for the forum. I am not in the IT field but after going thru the last economic downturn. not having a college degree was brutal. My background is and always has been in Management. I always wanted to get into the IT field but with kids, current career, etc. etc. never decided to take this path. I am looking at the General IT degree at WGU, then finishing up with an MBA in IT, then start on my PMP. I am a Six Sigma Blackbelt and in our business, every process improvement project I head up deals with our OS, the IT Dept, so on and so on. I do understand that getting into the IT field on the ground level would reduce my income by 2/3rds not an option. However as the only Six Sigma Blackbelt on staff I need to be able to talk intelligently with all parties involved. Getting a degree in IT may seem like a waste of time to some but it is a Bachelors Degree and I deal more with IT than I do with any other business sector. Just looking for a little guidance. I just passed the CIW 1D0-510 relatively easy cert and have scheduled the A+ for June 29th. My ultimate goal is a VP role in Core vales, IT, Systems, or corporate training. Just looking for some thoughts
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    @cglgolf - the general IT degree may be a good deal for you. The person I would recommend you contacting here would be N2IT as he is also more business side but has picked up a lot of IT knowledge along the way. You also might want to get in touch with eMeS as he's also Six Sigma.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    the_hutchthe_hutch Banned Posts: 827
    4_lom wrote: »
    The CompTIA exams are about as general as they get...

I don't know why CompTIA gets such a bad rep. Granted, relative to other exams, they may seem easy. But they are still challenging exams for an entry-level professional. And every CompTIA exam is more difficult than any test I ever took during my entire undergrad studies.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I think the main reason CompTIA gets a bad rep (from me anyway) is that they charge outrageous prices for entry level certifications that do not do very much for your career. When I look at a certification I'm looking for some good ROI, something that is going to help take me places in my career. I don't see that with CompTIA.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,052 Admin
    It's up to each certification consumer (that's you, dear reader) to do the research to determine which certs will give them the best ROI for their career path. This ensures that the survival-of-the-fittest of Capitalism causes the better certs to survive, and the less-well-regarded ones to die and hopefully be replaced by better ones. This is one of the major reasons that TechExams.net was created and seems to be flourishing. :D