Cisco/Juniper Monitoring

Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
Anyone recommend some good books and tools for monitoring Cisco and Juniper devices?
-Daniel

Comments

• ShanmanShanman Member Posts: 223
    I use Nagios on my network. I love it!
  • DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I use Mutiny - Mutiny Technology Home and love it more ;)
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
  • HypntickHypntick Member Posts: 1,451 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Another vote here for Nagios, that's what we use and it works out quite well.
    WGU BS:IT Completed June 30th 2012.
    WGU MS:ISA Completed October 30th 2013.
  • Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Nagios can work for some stuff. But I hoping for something with even correlation, more default alarms etc. Predictive scaling.
    -Daniel
  • alxxalxx Member Posts: 755
    cat tools from solarwinds there is a free version Kiwi CatTools | Network Configuration Management | Kiwi Syslog
    Goals CCNA by dec 2013, CCNP by end of 2014
  • Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    Daniel333 wrote: »
    Nagios can work for some stuff. But I hoping for something with even correlation, more default alarms etc. Predictive scaling.

You're probably not going to get all of that in one package without forking out some cash.

I've always been a big fan of nagios as well, but lately I've begun playing with OpenNMS, and I have to say I like it as well
  • MAC_AddyMAC_Addy Member Posts: 1,740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    We used to use PRTG. But we're fully converted over to SolarWinds now. Brilliant product. Does exactly what we need for monitoring.
    2017 Certification Goals:
    CCNP R/S
    MAC_Addy wrote: »
    We used to use PRTG. But we're fully converted over to SolarWinds now. Brilliant product. Does exactly what we need for monitoring.

Solar winds upset me, they brought out KiwiKAt tools a few years back, at the time a licence cost £99. now its almost £500 and no real improvements, just a case of buy out the competition and then price it so no one buys it.

Looking at the price of Orion from Solar winds its very highly priced for what it does.
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
    alxx wrote: »
    cat tools from solarwinds there is a free version Kiwi CatTools | Network Configuration Management | Kiwi Syslog

no longer a free version I don't think, demo version only allow you to add one device and one activity. icon_sad.gif like I say was a great product before solar winds got there hands on it.

In fact its now cheaper to buy SecureCRT and write a few scripts for that, and its more felxible.
  • phoeneousphoeneous Member Posts: 2,333 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I've used Zabbix and Cacti, both are pretty good. Going to setup Nagios for the first time in a few months on a used sun box that I got.
  • Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Sorry, I think I was sorta cryptic in my post. thanks for all the replies.

I am looking for an enterprise grade monitoring and event management solution. Budget is looking like it will be 6 figures for this. Just starting to do my research. Chances are we'll be running three or four Proof of concepts by years end.

We currently Use Foglight for VMware, oracle and host monitoring but sadly their Network monitoring feels years behind even most freeware tools. I've started doing correlations using Splunk ESS and that is awesome. But it really doesn't "speak" Cisco/Juniper. It's still quite a hackjob. It too feels like it's a couple years away from being what I would expect.

I've never used anything like Cisco Works or what every Juniper sells in that level. Curious if there is any other vendors in this space that people have input on.
    -Daniel
  • Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    Daniel333 wrote: »
    Sorry, I think I was sorta cryptic in my post. thanks for all the replies.

I am looking for an enterprise grade monitoring and event management solution. Budget is looking like it will be 6 figures for this. Just starting to do my research. Chances are we'll be running three or four Proof of concepts by years end.

We currently Use Foglight for VMware, oracle and host monitoring but sadly their Network monitoring feels years behind even most freeware tools. I've started doing correlations using Splunk ESS and that is awesome. But it really doesn't "speak" Cisco/Juniper. It's still quite a hackjob. It too feels like it's a couple years away from being what I would expect.

I've never used anything like Cisco Works or what every Juniper sells in that level. Curious if there is any other vendors in this space that people have input on.

Your options are going to be along the lines of HP OpenView, Solarwinds Orion, and so on. I actually really like Orion, my only complaint with it being that it's Windows based.