NEW! Macbook pro's/air's

spicy ahispicy ahi Member Posts: 413 ■■□□□□□□□□
So WWDC is over, and they revealed spec bumps for the Air's and MBP's as well as a new slim MBP. Still trying to process the different versions, as well as my own personal requirements (need a new laptop icon_twisted.gif) but wondered if anyone was swayed to upgrade/buy one of these new puppies? I also noticed that they've updated the Mac Pro's, which would have worked fine if I didn't have a newish desktop already.
Spicy :cool: Mentor the future! Be a CyberPatriot!

Comments

• IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    I am underwhelmed. It's pretty but it's not $2199 worth of pretty.
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
  • spicy ahispicy ahi Member Posts: 413 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I'm kind of on the fence. I need a laptop because I find myself out and about more often than not, mostly waiting for my kids at their practices. So I need a machine to do some studying and light duty work. Of course, I've been made unofficial videographer for my kids' sports teams so I was thinking it was a good excuse to buy fcp or adobe premiere so I can do some video editing of game/practice tapes for the coaches and players who are interested. That mostly rules out the air's in that case, which is why I was curious about the new thin/light mbp. Spec wise, it's not much more powerful than the 2011 mbp that I gave to my wife, nor is it much lighter (I think it works to a pound lighter, but it's still 4+ pounds) but is is thinner. Is it worth the upgrade for non-replaceable memory? Meh. We'll see. I think I'll wait until I start seeing premiere/final cut reviews on the new laptops before I think about actually purchasing something.
    I just bought a new ultrabook (Amazon.com: Acer Aspire S3-951-6432 13.3-Inch HD Display Ultrabook: Computers & Accessories) and I love it but I got a GREAT refurbished deal on it for about $750. I would never spend more than that on a laptop because I am always on the move and it'll get a lot of use and abuse.
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
  • petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    At one time, I had thought to use a nice, spiffy new Mac laptop as an incentive for reaching certain educational/career goals. The thought was along the lines of: if I complete goal x, I will go out and blow $2500 on a well-outfitted Mac that could run VMs.

Nowadays, it's just doesn't seem worth it. There are some really nice Linux desktop OSes that have the same (or close to it) shine of the Mac experience, and there are low-end quad-core PC laptops available around $400.
    I realize Apple makes (usually) very reliable equipment, but are they worth the extra bucks? I don't think so. I can't fault anyone who likes Macs (still have a G4 at home for some things), but I just can't drink that expensive Kool-Aid at the moment.
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers
  • onesaintonesaint Member Posts: 801
    I dig the underwhelming of it. I get the CEOs hand me down, a 2011 MBP, and this isn't too big a jump, so I don't feel like I'm loosing out!
    Work in progress: picking up Postgres, elastisearch, redis, Cloudera, & AWS.
    Next up: eventually the RHCE and to start blogging again.

Control Protocol; my blog of exam notes and IT randomness
  • emerald_octaneemerald_octane Member Posts: 613
    I got one for work. I had to, it's too perfect. Twin thunderbolt ports means I can finally connect dual screens on these puppies (with no crazy display spanning or anything). Fast processors, SSD (although all of my laptops have dual intel 320s) . Also ordered the 16 gb of ram since I usually have 2x windows and 1x OS X vm open at all times.
  • ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I am underwhelmed. It's pretty but it's not $xxx worth of pretty.
    Fixed so it applies to any Mac at any given time.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
    So true, ptilsen, so true...
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
  • ColbyGColbyG Member Posts: 1,264
    The Pro update is weak, and too expensive. I might grab a 13" Air though.
    Personally, I'm really excited for the 2nd generation of Ultrabooks. Sony's is out, Gigabyte is releasing a nice set soon, and most manufacturers are following suit in June and July. Specs are generally Core i5 or i7, 6-16GB RAM, SSD, 15 years of battery life, 2-4lbs, and small, high-res monitor. What's especially exciting is that most lines are going to have a model with a with mid-to-high-end video card. GeForce 640M seems to be common. This is very exciting for anyone who wants to do some moderate to heavy gaming on a laptop without sacrificing the benefits of an Ultrabook.

All this for $500-$2000 less than a MacBook Pro. I'm not going to trash the next-gen MBPs are bad -- the specs and design are impressive -- but as always, they're horribly overpriced. Basically same specs, and few or no concessions get an Ultrabook for much less money.
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
  • spicy ahispicy ahi Member Posts: 413 ■■□□□□□□□□
    All true points. Prior to the announcement, I was actually looking hard at HP Elitebooks as they mobile quadro's were recommended by some videographer friends of mine to do the type of video work I was talking about. Only issue with them (and Dell's mobile workstation) are that they're ugly and HUUUUUUGE. But I guess if I truly want to stay true to what I want to do with this laptop, then asthetics shouldn't be a concern. The 0.71" thickness and 4.5lb weight do make me think though. It's light and skinny enough to put in my backpack along with my video camera and camera and all of their associated parts. Right now, I carry my MBP and the weight more than anything is bothersome (I feel like I'm rucking when I pack that thing; just gotta throw in my sleeping bag and I'm set. lol) Ah, well. I'll see the final cut reviews on the "next generation" macbook pro and go from there. Heck, maybe if FCP runs decently for editing 2-5 minute youtube clips, I might just go that route and save all the "heavy" editing for the upcoming iMac or Mac Pro refresh. icon_lol.gif

P.S. Also forgot to mention that I had purchased a student copy of CS5 premiere pro when my wife was going to school. If I can find it, I might just go ahead an go the PC route. I've read some reviews of Premiere running decently on HP quad-core laptops...
  • tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    The Retina display laptop is the luxury model. I doubt Apple is thinking they are going to make all the profit off these. The 2K model just makes the lower price models seem more "reasonable". Eventually as usual the display will trickle down to the cheaper models once the "ooh ahh" appeal goes away.

I remember when the Macbook Air came out all the critics were saying what a POS it is but eventually similar looking laptops aka "ultrabooks" came out that look almost the same.

The iPad was just a giant "iPhone" and it will fail, a gazillion dollars later tablet competitors came along.

I used to have a Tibook with the G4 back in early 2000. I do miss having the Mac OS though I keep thinking I will get a Macbook someday but my iPad and Galaxy Tab does everything I need mobile wise since I really don't do much stuff on a laptop and would rather have a desktop.
  • SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    I am getting HP Spectre XTs for the office most likely.
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • lordylordy Member Posts: 632 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I have been waiting for this.

I currently have a first generation aluminum iMac and an Core2Duo MBP. I will throw both out and probably get a Retina-MBP and a Thunderbolt Display. This year, christmas is in Summer :)
    Working on CCNP: [X] SWITCH --- [ ] ROUTE --- [ ] TSHOOT
    Goal for 2014: RHCA
    Goal for 2015: CCDP
  • Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    I really want one of the 15inch Retina MBP's. 15inch retina display, 8 gigs, quad-core sandy bridge procs, and solid state, for $2199 (less the corporate discount), less than an inch tall, and weighs less than 5 lbs. yeah, that's worth it to me.

Unfortunately, that particular expenditure will probably have to wait until next year. Too much money committed elsewhere for the rest of this one.
  • Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    ptilsen wrote: »
    All this for $500-$2000 less than a MacBook Pro. I'm not going to trash the next-gen MBPs are bad -- the specs and design are impressive -- but as always, they're horribly overpriced. Basically same specs, and few or no concessions get an Ultrabook for much less money.

Here's the thing -

I can't run OS X on an Ultrabook. I don't get the easy and seamless integration with my phone and tablet that a pure Apple environment offers.

This is important to me, as my time is valuable, and I want my crap to work without effort so that I can spend that time on things that are more important.

Now, I know that goes against the geek ethos, where you're supposed to enjoy crap like troubleshooting display drivers, but I've done my fair share of that, and I kind of like not having to deal with it anymore.

Far too many people get hung up on the cost of comparable hardware and don't pay attention to the intangibles. I don't mind Apple making a profit, and I'm willing to pay more on the frontend if it'll ultimately end up saving me on the backend.
  • jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Amen to that Forsaken. I can remember building my "dream machine" and spent 1000s on the latest and greatest just to have flippin Bluescreens all day because the motherboard / ram etc., just didn't work until "version x" of a bios and whatnot ..

Thinking back - that would have gotten me a nice Mac Pro ... which at least holds its value somewhat ...
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
    The features coming to iOS6 looks interesting. The integration with Mac OS X is going to be pretty cool for my wife's iPhone and iMac. Only problem is my wife doesn't use her Mac much at all and does everything on her phone and iPad.
  • rwmidlrwmidl Member Posts: 807 ■■■■■■□□□□
    The 15" Retina Display models, while nice, are more aimed/targeted to those who do photo/video editing (photojournalists, etc).
    CISSP | CISM | ACSS | ACIS | MCSA:2008 | MCITP:SA | MCSE:Security | MCSA:Security | Security + | MCTS
    Oh wow the "Guided Access" feature is awesome if you have young kids who keep clicking the home button or stupid Facebook links in games. I bought some plastic thing to put over the home button because my two year old likes the flash card word games but is fascinated with the home button also.
    Here's the thing -

I can't run OS X on an Ultrabook.

Indeed...being against the EULA and all. ;)
  • tprice5tprice5 Member Posts: 770
    I consider myself a Mac guy and this announcement was just noise.

I own the black macbook I bought for college (for a computer science degree, smart? no). iPhone I got because, well, it's the iphone. Mac mini for home theatre integration and iPad for certification text books.

I love the reliability but hate the price. Mac Mini and iPad I bought used so I was able to get a good deal. Will likely never buy another Macbook but will probably wait in line for every iteration of the iPhone until I'm 90.
    Certification To-Do: CEH [ ], CHFI [ ], NCSA [ ], E10-001 [ ], 70-413 [ ], 70-414 [ ]
    WGU MSISA
    Start Date: 10/01/2014 | Complete Date: ASAP
    All Courses: LOT2, LYT2 , UVC2, ORA1, VUT2, VLT2 , FNV2 , TFT2 , JIT2 , FMV2, FXT2 , LQT2
    Here's the thing -

I can't run OS X on an Ultrabook. I don't get the easy and seamless integration with my phone and tablet that a pure Apple environment offers.
    Hey, more power to you. OS X is not my thing, but it's just an operating system. I will concede that if you heavily prefer a piece of hardware running OS X, I have nothing against that.
    This is important to me, as my time is valuable, and I want my crap to work without effort so that I can spend that time on things that are more important.

Now, I know that goes against the geek ethos, where you're supposed to enjoy crap like troubleshooting display drivers, but I've done my fair share of that, and I kind of like not having to deal with it anymore.
    I agree completely. This is why my phone is an iPhone 3GS and my next phone will be an iPhone 5. I still prefer Windows as an OS, but if you're happy with OS X, I won't dispute the advantages -- there are real, significant advantages to using a largely closed, tightly integrated platform.
  • WafflesAndRootbeerWafflesAndRootbeer Member Posts: 555
    2014 is when the really awesome Mac products will come out because that's when the current technology gets upgraded to "The Next Big Thing!". The latest refreshes are nothing noteworthy and definitely not worth buying unless you absolutely feel the need to buy them for whatever reason.
  • demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819
    i think mac needs to start thinking lower end vs the high end they keep going after
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
    2014 is when the really awesome Mac products will come out because that's when the current technology gets upgraded to "The Next Big Thing!". The latest refreshes are nothing noteworthy and definitely not worth buying unless you absolutely feel the need to buy them for whatever reason.

Or your social status is in jeopardy of course. ;)
  • cxzar20cxzar20 Member Posts: 168
    i think mac needs to start thinking lower end vs the high end they keep going after

I am sure they should change their business strategy since you know, their current ways only make them the most valuable (or second most) company in the world depending on the day. icon_rolleyes.gif

There are companies that do that already. Makes no sense to do it if your making a huge profit.

Kind of glad the phone manufacturers are killing each other in the Android area so only a couple are left when the dust settles and a more standard phone becomes readily available. I read only Samsung and one other is making a profit off phones if you don't consider the free-low end devices.
  • WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    With 3D Studio Max 2013 coming to OS X (something Autodesk and before that Discreet have refused for years) the last main reason I had to keep Windows as my main OS is no longer valid. Especially with a retina display... Although I agree it is relatively expensive, that's just the investment for the first one because Macs retain their value longer and better than most wintel PCs. If you buy a new Mac book now, in a year or two you only have to add $300-$600 (depending on model/age/specs) to get the latest again. Add to that the cheap OS upgrades and it pretty much evens out. I think I will bribe Santa later this year into sending me one. :)
    I miss my G4 Titanium Macbook. Made it through a year in Iraq and somebody in the Air Force crushed it in a C-130 cargo hold because they wanted me to reduce the size of my carry on....and I packed that thing as best I could to make sure it would make it home.