Verizon ditching phone plans and going to a shared plan

N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
This is going to save me a ton of money moving forward. I was excited to see the new model implemented or soon to be.

Any other Verizon customers out there excited to see this?

Comments

• demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819
    i use alot of data so im sticking to my unlimited data plan as long as i can
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • paulgswansonpaulgswanson Member Posts: 311
    I wish I had an unlimited plan. I really hate these limited ones.
    http://paulswansonblog.wordpress.com/
    WGU Progress: B.S. Network Management & Design <- I quit (got bored)
  • blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    For those of us who have been too cheap to purchase a plan that includes data, I wonder if we are we now required to purchase a plan that includes it? I have a company provided phone that has data, and so I only use voice and text on our personal mobile phone.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    You can't buy a smartphone with a contract that doesn't include a data plan. It has been this way for at least a few years now. And Verizon's "unlimited" people have a limited time to enjoy it....I promise you that.

And they're also charging $30 upgrade fees.
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Yup, once I renew my contract bye bye unlimited plan...a very sad day. Or if I pay the full purchase price of the phone you can keep it.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I got into the game a little to late so no unlimited for me and having another user and a tablet on my plan is brutally smashing my financials.

This will save me over 150 USD per month. I am excited
  • blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I already see that it's going to cost us more, not having invested in a personal smart phone and having no desire for data. The minimum plan you can purchase when switching to the new model is a $50/mo that includes 1GB data, and $30/mo for each non-smartphone.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
    The data piece is in place to mitigate against all the users taxing the network. They only have so much capacity which they clearly can't handle. AT&T is moving to this model as well.
  • the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    In reading the plan it actually really screws me over. I currently pay $73 a month for 450 minutes (that I never use), 500 text messages (everyone I know if pretty much on Verizon), and unlimited data. Here I come Spring unless they do it too...might be dark ages for me soon.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
    My plan is unlimited text and voice, along with 2 gb with 2 added devices for 249 a month.

We never even get close to using the 2 gb so dropping down to 1 doesn't hurt, but I have to keep unlimited text and voice. I go over 4,000 mins on voice and over 1,500 text easy a month
  • higherhohigherho Member Posts: 882
    the_Grinch wrote: »
    Yup, once I renew my contract bye bye unlimited plan...a very sad day. Or if I pay the full purchase price of the phone you can keep it.

Thats the day I go to Sprint. At least they have 4G in the area were I live so I will be happy. People who do not have 4G yet, you will see your data climb drastically compared to 3G.
  • demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819
    N2IT wrote: »
    My plan is unlimited text and voice, along with 2 gb with 2 added devices for 249 a month.

We never even get close to using the 2 gb so dropping down to 1 doesn't hurt, but I have to keep unlimited text and voice. I go over 4,000 mins on voice and over 1,500 text easy a month

im the opposite i have 450 min and barely use them up but i used 44gb one month
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • TackleTackle Member Posts: 534
    im the opposite i have 450 min and barely use them up but i used 44gb one month

Dang, that's a TON of data. I do have unlimited data, this switch kind of upsets me. Granted, during the winter months I rarely used more than 1gb of data. Now that summer's here it will climb significantly (More trips w/o access to wifi, more tethering, more streaming) No one else on my plan (5 phones total) has a data package.
  • onesaintonesaint Member Posts: 801
    I'm on Verizon unlimited, still have an iPhone 4, not real interested in limited data, not real interested in sprint either. My Ipad is 3G, but not on a plan. Maybe these new plans will work out to my benefit. It's doubtful though.
    Work in progress: picking up Postgres, elastisearch, redis, Cloudera, & AWS.
    Next up: eventually the RHCE and to start blogging again.

Control Protocol; my blog of exam notes and IT randomness
  • tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I have unlimited but to be honest I might put myself on a data diet to increase my productivity....