Getting a job at CompUSA?

Matt_SmiMatt_Smi Member Posts: 111 ■■■□□□□□□□
Right now I am in school taking classes which will prepare me for MCP/MCSA certifications. I have already taking courses which prepared me for A+ and Net+, I am A+ certified now and Net+ will be my next cert. I need to get a job as a sort of hold me over while I study for my other certs and look for a “real” job. I was thinking of applying at CompUSA, being one of their techs that work in the back and fix computers and what not. Do they even require A+ for that position? And would having it enable me to get a job fairly easily? I guess it doesn’t have to be at CompUSA either, could be at circuit city or any place that has similar services.

Comments

• CompUSA DOES require technicians to hold a current A+ certification.
  • Chivalry1Chivalry1 Member Posts: 569
    They do require A+. I used to work for COMPUSA. This is where I got my tech start in computers. I learned alot! I worked for Compusa as a side job to gain more hardware/technical skills in computers. It actually paid off in the long run.
    "The recipe for perpetual ignorance is: be satisfied with your opinions and
    content with your knowledge. " Elbert Hubbard (1856 - 1915)
  • Matt_SmiMatt_Smi Member Posts: 111 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Ok thanks for the info...
    Chivalry1 wrote:
    I used to work for COMPUSA. This is where I got my tech start in computers. I learned alot! I worked for Compusa as a side job to gain more hardware/technical skills in computers. It actually paid off in the long run.

That is pretty much what I plan on doing, working as a tech at a place like CompUSA or Circuit City as a starting point so I can at least get some experience on my resume, you have to start somewhere…
  • garv221garv221 Member Posts: 1,914
    My first tech job was at CompUSA. I didn't have A+ though, I started selling stuff then they moved me into the back fixing pcs. They do require A+.
  • jacktheripper994465221jacktheripper994465221 Inactive Imported Users Posts: 67 ■■□□□□□□□□
    i have hardware down and i am working on getting software down too.

do they accept half certified? or dont they have that thing where you can get your cert in 90 days?
  • triplebenctriplebenc Member Posts: 28 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Since A+ is a required cert, does your pay differ from those from sales? or do they just start you off a minimum wage and w/ time increase it.