This certification will no longer be available to earn as of July 31, 2013

jay twizzlejay twizzle Member Posts: 7 ■■■□□□□□□□
So I went to Microsoft's Learning Site MCITP (Microsoft Certified IT Professional) | Training Courses for IT Professionals and to my surprise just about every single Windows 7 cert will retire or no longer available to be taken after July 31, 2013. I know Windows 8 is around the corner but I don't see alot of Companies requiring or asking Windows 8 Certs in the near future. Now does that mean after July 31, 2013 will these certs be considered irrelevant ???

Comments

• swildswild Member Posts: 828
    There are still companies that ask for current MCSEs. Businesses will not be able to adopt Win 8 in a year unless Microsoft plans on giving it away. Even then it may take 3 years for some companies to fully test it and integrate it into their environment.
  • jfmcaninchjfmcaninch Member Posts: 54 ■■□□□□□□□□
    They must be coming up with a new cert title for Windows 7. It makes no sense to create a certification barrier for Windows 7 and Server 2008. As swild mentioned above it will take at least a few years to get Windows 8 into the mainstream.
    Currently studying for 70-410 hoping to write June 2016 with end goal of MCSE:Server Infrastructure
  • afcyungafcyung Member Posts: 212
    I read more as the title of the cert is being retired. If you notice only some of the certification exams are being retired next year so I imagine that there will still be win 7 certs available.
  • steve13adsteve13ad Member Posts: 398 ■■■■□□□□□□
    The bigger news is that the traditional MCSA/MCSE tracks slated for retirement on 7-31-13. I also noticed that both of the upgrade exams (2003 -2008 ) are also retiring on 1-31.

Microsoft Learning: Certification Lifecycle

I guess Microsoft feels like they've got something "special" with their new naming structure and their moving all in.
  • RomBUSRomBUS Member Posts: 699 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Wow I honestly think this is a negative move...they keep changing their titles and structure that we're all used to. I will still take the 70-680 test but I will be upset if there is some sort of "upgrade" exam for their next revision of this...if it holds true
  • ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    That's way too soon. I could understand if they changed the name of the certification or something, but it's crazy to me that they're retiring most of the 2008/R2 exams so quickly, and at the same time as the 2003 exams at that. Server 2008 and 2008 R2 will still have higher market penetration than 2012 by next summer, guaranteed. Unless I've missed something and they're not replacing the existing 2008 exams with new ones, this seems like a bad move for customers and professionals.

Edit: For reference, here is the upgrade path to the new MCSE, the closest equivalent to EA and the old MCSE.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • robaatorobaato Member Posts: 25 ■□□□□□□□□□
    They are switching back to MCSE. Same initials but different meaning. So everyone with the old title that hasn't studied and renewed will look current and everything that has gone completely insane with double negative vague and obscure questions with wrong answers will have an outdated cert before they receive in the mail.

Microsoft's New MCSE Program - YouTube
    WTFrack? Well, if MS made any sense and was easy we wouldn't have a job. icon_rolleyes.gif

icon_study.gif I'm a MCSTPECP Certamafied. Yepicon_thumright.gif
  • MstavridisMstavridis Member Posts: 107
    Well I am going to study for juniper now cause I feel like microsoft has gutted me enough this year.
  • jay twizzlejay twizzle Member Posts: 7 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the heads up
    Now I am curious to see how this will play out since I am preparing for the 70-685 exam. Will people who hold MCITP's have to retest just to earn the new MSCE title? I guess we will have to wait and see what happens.
  • ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Why would we need to wait and see? The upgrade path has not only been published, but linked in this thread. Current holders of most MCITP titles have specific upgrade exams available.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
    I overlooked your post, my fault
  • Mikey82Mikey82 Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    This certification will no longer be available to earn as of July 31, 2013. Candidates who pass Exams 70-640, 70-642, and 70-646 will continue to earn the MCSA: Windows Server 2008 certification after the MCITP: Server Administrator on Windows Server 2008 certification is no longer available.

This says to me they are renaming the exam.

So it falls inline with the new naming scheme.

The 70-680 isnt retiring according to that page.
  • pumbaa_gpumbaa_g Member Posts: 353
    Ditto Mikey82. Plus you still have time to complete EA or SA on 2008 till end of the year and then give the magical 70-417 for 2012 and get the shiny new MCSA 2012.

I would be worried about the Microsoft Virtualization Certifications. No clear guidance on the retirement/replacement yet. I am sure it will be related to the System Center 2012 but looking pretty confusing at this time icon_confused.gif:
    [h=1]“An expert is one who knows more and more about less and less until he knows absolutely everything about nothing.” [/h]
  • 4_lom4_lom Member Posts: 485
    Even if the 680 is retiring, I would push really hard to obtain it before it does. In my opinion, most enterprise environments will be slow to adapt Windows 8 (or won't use it at all). I'm finding a lot of corporations that are still using XP... my point is when Windows 8 comes out, the price of Windows 7 will probably drop, and businesses will then invest in it. Windows 8 was primarily built for tablets anyway. I just got the 680, and will be taking 685/686 in the next few months. After they expire, you won't be able to take the exam and prove competency in Windows 7, even though it will still largely be used.
    Goals for 2018: MCSA: Cloud Platform, AWS Solutions Architect, MCSA : Server 2016, MCSE: Messaging