Comments about this book

sonicboysonicboy Inactive Imported Users Posts: 46 ■■□□□□□□□□
guys, please comment about this book in comparison to the MS Training Kits (blue cover).

078214352001aa240sclzzzzzzz2oz.th.jpg

I was thinking which is the best. icon_rolleyes.gif

Comments

• janmikejanmike Member Posts: 3,076
    I haven't used this Sybex book, but there are 3 reviews on Amazon that do not recommend this manual at all.

I am using the M$ Kit for 20-271 right now. It takes you through a lot of practice exercises and has, IMO, some good reviews and troubleshooting scenarios.

I read one manual, by Timothy L. Warner, and then I went to a boot camp for both 70-271 and 70-272 which used the official study guides and was able to understand the instructor because of the MCDST manual I had already read and quite a bit of study on W2k Pro and W2k3 Server that I had already done. From that experience, I think that the M$ Kits should take care of the need. What ever you study, you need the hands-on experience working with the system in order to get it all burned into you mind.

Good luck!
    "It doesn't matter, it's in the past!"--Rafiki
  • evanderburgevanderburg Member Posts: 229 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I checked out the MSpress book which most people say is good and I found a lot of repeated info in it. I skimmed through the MS press books but I really used two books from course technology and they had some nice info in them with good test questions. I passed the test with 949 and 900.
    "You can never know everything and part of what you know is always wrong. Perhaps even the most important part. A portion of wisdom lies in knowing that. A portion of courage lies in going on anyway. " - Lan, Winter's Heart by Robert Jordan
  • D-boyD-boy Member Posts: 595
    I don't know how they compare, I only used the ms press books... icon_wink.gif
  • sonicboysonicboy Inactive Imported Users Posts: 46 ■■□□□□□□□□
    janmike wrote:
    I haven't used this Sybex book, but there are 3 reviews on Amazon that do not recommend this manual at all.

I am using the M$ Kit for 20-271 right now. It takes you through a lot of practice exercises and has, IMO, some good reviews and troubleshooting scenarios.

I read one manual, by Timothy L. Warner, and then I went to a boot camp for both 70-271 and 70-272 which used the official study guides and was able to understand the instructor because of the MCDST manual I had already read and quite a bit of study on W2k Pro and W2k3 Server that I had already done. From that experience, I think that the M$ Kits should take care of the need. What ever you study, you need the hands-on experience working with the system in order to get it all burned into you mind.

Good luck!

what's the difference between MS Kits and official study guides? Can I just rely solely on MS Kits to pass the exams?
    I checked out the MSpress book which most people say is good and I found a lot of repeated info in it. I skimmed through the MS press books but I really used two books from course technology and they had some nice info in them with good test questions. I passed the test with 949 and 900.
    That's good score!!
    Besides MS press books, did you go through any **** papers before going for the exams?

Please bear with me, I'm new to MS exams and just wish to gather more info in order to get myself on the right track. icon_wink.gif
    D-boy wrote:
    I don't know how they compare, I only used the ms press books... icon_wink.gif
    thanks for your feedback. :)
  • janmikejanmike Member Posts: 3,076
    Sonicboy wrote:
    ...what's the difference...
    These study guides are useful in a classroom with an instructor where the PCs are set up with Virtual PC, on a virtual domain, where you can do all of the exercises according to the instructor's/manual's leading.

The M$ Kits fill the area for private study. You can build a network with 2 PCs for doing the exercises in the Kit, or even install Virtual PC on one machine and "pretend" that you have 2 machines.
    "It doesn't matter, it's in the past!"--Rafiki
    janmike wrote:
    Sonicboy wrote:
    ...what's the difference...
    These study guides are useful in a classroom with an instructor where the PCs are set up with Virtual PC, on a virtual domain, where you can do all of the exercises according to the instructor's/manual's leading.

The M$ Kits fill the area for private study. You can build a network with 2 PCs for doing the exercises in the Kit, or even install Virtual PC on one machine and "pretend" that you have 2 machines.
    if I were to install Virtual PC on my one and only home pc, will there be any problems? icon_confused.gif:
  • nothing_ptnothing_pt Member Posts: 44 ■■□□□□□□□□
    sonicboy wrote:
    if I were to install Virtual PC on my one and only home pc, will there be any problems? icon_confused.gif:

No, but you should have plenty of memory. At least the recommended for the OS you are using plus the recommended for th OS you will install on the virtual machine.

Btw, i rather advice you to get VMWare, is way more complete than VirtualPC.

PS: on my machine, with 512Mb of RAM, i have 2003 on it and use XP on a Virtual machine to resemble the Server/Client and is sometimes slow.
    nothing_pt wrote:
    sonicboy wrote:

No, but you should have plenty of memory. At least the recommended for the OS you are using plus the recommended for th OS you will install on the virtual machine.

Btw, i rather advice you to get VMWare, is way more complete than VirtualPC.

PS: on my machine, with 512Mb of RAM, i have 2003 on it and use XP on a Virtual machine to resemble the Server/Client and is sometimes slow.
    then I guess I'll study MCDST without installing anything as I can't afford to have a 2nd pc in my home. icon_confused.gif