SSCP Study Materials and appropriate jobs that one can apply for under this cert.

flt0nujrflt0nujr Member Posts: 65 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hello all, I'm currently preparing for the SSCP certification to become more versatile at securing servers and possibly cloud. I'm currently reading SSCP all in one book, and I'm also using testout labsim's. The testout does offer great lab simulations from active directory, windows XP, windows server 2008, some linux videos, but thats it. I'm wondering if utilizing studyscope questions would be ideal for me to use also. I appreciate any information you can provide to me for good study materials and also SSCP specific job categories. I'm more interested in a system admin role.

Thanks Flt0nujr
B.S Information Technology Telecommunications
A.S Network Server Administration
M.S Information Security Management (expected 2014-2015)

Comments

• halaakajanhalaakajan Member Posts: 167
    Work towards MCTS:NI and MCTS:AD then focus on Security(SSCP,GSEC,GCIH etc) You can write the 3 exams within this year or before the quarter of next year if you have the experience and willing to work on it.
  • flt0nujrflt0nujr Member Posts: 65 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thanks halaakajan, can you tell me why I should go for MCTS and not MCITP? Also, GSEC and GCIH requirements are great but only if one has $4k or more to attend their classes, which I don't. I chose the SSCP because I qualify for at least 2 of the domains listed on ISC2 website and it will gibe me a leg up or at least crack the door open for landing either an interview or an entry level security position.
  • kalkan999kalkan999 Member Posts: 269 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I have a few questions for you before I answer the SSCP:

1. How long have you been in IT?
    2. When did you take the Security + exam?
    3. Do you ever intend to take the CISSP?
    4. DO you have a military background? If so, and if you have a clearance, do you know about DoD 8570.01-m?

There are reasons why I ask these questions. Most notable is that if you are going to try to get a Defense contractor or direct government civilian position, then you should look to the Associate of ISC2, instead of SSCP, as Security + and SSCP carries the same 'weight' as far as DoD 8570 regs are concerned. HOWEVER, if you don't feel you are ready to take on a CISSP exam, but want to prep for it with the SSCP, then I suggest taking SSCP.
    SSCP is not highly sought after in the commercial world, and the CISSP exam goes CBT day after tomorrow, so I imagine that a lot of people who have the skills, but didn't like the Standardized testing model where one had to fill out a scantron and then WAIT for up to 6 weeks, will likely take the plunge, as the test results are immediately available; this will mean more CISSP's for certain, and may hamper your job searchnig efforts.
    Many people are surprised to learn that their prior military experience counts towards the 5 year requirement for the CISSP.
    1) I've been in IT for at least 7 years
    2) I recently passed the Security+ exam 2 months ago
    3) I am searching for DOD contractors within this field but I'm also willing to take a lesser role with a security firm
    4) I do not have a military background

Most of the security certs offered by SANS cost around $4k or more when it comes to training. Like many other's I don't have that type of money laying around and my current employer is not willing to pay for such training. I'm currently trying to find an employer willing to provide this. But the SSCP came has option to get a foot hold on learning malware, Firewall, Windows Server 2008 AD (IMO), Rbac, Drac, etc... Im not attempting to become a manager or director within security. I'm primarily a technician and would prefer to remain within this field.
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,025 Admin
    Have a look at the individual job sites maintained by each of the major defense contractors to determine what jobs are open within your experience level and skill set. Start with the US companies on the Top 100 defense contractors list.
    Thanks JD Murray!!! The information is very much appreciated.
  • halaakajanhalaakajan Member Posts: 167
    You can add MCTS:SA and have MCITP:SA designation. If I am not mistaken you can take GIAC certifications without attending their courses.
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,025 Admin
    halaakajan wrote: »
    If I am not mistaken you can take GIAC certifications without attending their courses.
    You are not mistaken. It currently costs $999US to challenge any GIAC certification exam without first taking the corresponding SANS training course. You can save quite a bit of money that way.