Do you have a preferred Window Manager?

paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
Hanging out on this this forum has inspired me to re-build my lab over the past few months. I was even thinking about going for a LPI or RHCSA cert.

As part of upgrading my lab to prep for one of these certs - I was mulling over whether I should move to a different window manager. I'm not really interested in KDE or Gnome or any of the heavy weight desktop platforms. I'm seeking something for my main desktop which I would run Redhat or other Desktop VMs from.

I have been using twm for as long as I've used Unix and it's variants and I've never found anything better.

Does anyone have any other recommendations for light-weight window managers that they like?

I had used Sawmill for a short while as well. But I went back to twm. Currently, I'm looking at vtwm.

Thanks.

Comments

• splinuxsplinux Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
  • jdancerjdancer Member Posts: 482 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I use the i3 window manager from i3 - improved tiling wm under Arch Linux.

I have no use for desktop managers.
  • zipolinizipolini Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
    fluxbox is my love ;)
    love it for its customizability
  • paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Thanks for the suggestions. I've been using ctwm which seems like an updated version of tww.

Openbox seems to be built for KDE and Gnome so that's probably not going to work since I don't use either.

I like i3 - at least it looks very clean - but alas I have a Nvidia card and I do not think that Xrandr is supported.

I'm going to give Fluxbox a whirl. I just downloaded the sources and compiled it. It looks simple and clean and looks like it has active support which is a plus.
  • alxxalxx Member Posts: 755
    I've been sticking with XFCE with fedora . Currently xfce spin of fedora 17.

Mostly in vm's or on boxes with intel graphics.
    Xfce Desktop Environment
    Xfce Wiki - start

About Spin: Xfce

Might also want to try lxde About Spin: LXDE

Fedora Spins

Great thing with the spins is you can test them as a live cd, then install if you like them.

I've switched from using one box with everything installed to using multiple vm's.
    Pretty much a vm for each of my own projects(vm + repo).

Slowly switching to kvm and weaning myself way from vmware (except for on mac).
    Goals CCNA by dec 2013, CCNP by end of 2014
  • ally_ukally_uk Member Posts: 1,145 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Gnome 2.0, XFCE, or LXDE
    Microsoft's strategy to conquer the I.T industry

" Embrace, evolve, extinguish "
  • zipolinizipolini Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
    they are desktop environments, not just window managers ;)