How long is A+ Course please? How long did it take you?

listerlister Member Posts: 38 ■■□□□□□□□□

Also, id like to know - do you think it would be possible to learn it online? I saw a really good deal and was wondering if it should "really" be taught in a classroom setting?

I guess I am asking because the students will need a lab to use right? Or is that not the case for A+? Thanks

Comments

• N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    It took me 5 years, but I studied off and on during that time frame. If you wanted to dedicate a lot of time to it you could probably pass it in 1-2 months with 2-5 hours of study a week.

No lab needed, but having a desktop/laptop to open up might help you remember the components. Also having access to XP, Vista, 7 wouldn't hurt.

As far as an online course it depends on the vendor.
  • listerlister Member Posts: 38 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks - I feel that I have time now to complete it - i.e. dedicated. I found a course that lasts 2 weeks - do you think that could be normal for someone studying full time on this? Thanks
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    One month. I spent too much time reading the book. It's all about how much experience you have troubleshooting computers.
  • WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    lister wrote: »
    I found a course that lasts 2 weeks - do you think that could be normal for someone studying full time on this? Thanks
    One week for Essentials and one week for Application, sounds about "normal" for a course. However, taking the course doesn't necessarily mean you'll be ready for the exams, it would be wise to add a few weeks, or more, self study + practice to that.
    I guess I am asking because the students will need a lab to use right? Or is that not the case for A+?
    That is the advantage of going to a good course, you'll actually be able to get hands-on experience with components you may not have available for practice yourself. Like N2IT wrote above, having a desktop/laptop you can take apart helps, and so does running some virtual machines with older windows version. Instead of spending thousands on a course I would buy some CBTs, books, practice exams, lab material if needed. If you are entirely new to IT a course may work much better for you than self study.
  • YFZbluYFZblu Member Posts: 1,462 ■■■■■■■■□□

Also, id like to know - do you think it would be possible to learn it online? I saw a really good deal and was wondering if it should "really" be taught in a classroom setting?

I guess I am asking because the students will need a lab to use right? Or is that not the case for A+? Thanks

Please avoid paying thousands of dollars for an entry level certification course. I completed my A+ last year and one of the best decisions I've ever made was avoiding overpriced courses. Attempt to self-study with a book and free online material such as Professor Messer's videos. That should pull you through A+ no problem. Obviously if you're having difficulty learning the material it's not unheard of to pay for a class - I would check with a local Community College first, though - Typically its relatively low cost per credit hour.
    Yeah you should spend less than 300 in study materials. Use Professor Messer for free and get a book.
  • the_hutchthe_hutch Banned Posts: 827
    Do you currently work in IT? That's really the determining factor if you ask me. If you have never worked in IT or you're not a serious new-egg nerd who builds his own rigs...A+ is probably going to be a difficult exam for you. If you don't or have never worked in IT, I would recommend a class. If you do work in IT...you can probably go the self-taught route without much trouble.
  • itsgonnahappenitsgonnahappen Member Posts: 95 ■■■□□□□□□□
    This really depends on your experience and career level. If you're brand new to IT, classes will help you get exposure to equipment that you may otherwise not have access to. However, you can certainly study on your own and pass the exam. Search Youtube and check out Messer's videos for starters.
  • quinnyflyquinnyfly Member Posts: 243 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I used the Jean Andrews book and was working around computers, I studied for about 4 weeks and did both the A+ exams at the same time. There is a lot to take in, if however, you have the opportunity to build, fix, service or repair some computers in the meantime, this would be a big advantage.

I would also suggest getting hold of an old computer, pull it apart and put it back together again, and take notes on what bits go where and then research what they are, how they adapt, and specifically what they do. It is all good learning the theory about something, but its is even more effective when you can physically see and touch it. The A+ exam seems big on items like ports, port speeds and types etc, having a real computer to play with is far better than trying to build a conceptual model in your head.

There is loads of free resource out there, but which is best for you and how long it takes really all depends on your learning mode or input. Some people can simply study from a text book, some need class room time, others simple labbing or even some youtube vids such as Professor Mersser etc, or even a combination of the above. Find what works best for you, and also print off the exam objectives from the Comptia website. While you are there, why not try your hand at some practise exams to gauge an idea of where you are at with your knowledge by trying one of their practise exams. I have linked these below:

Exam Objectives: Exam Objectives

Practise Exam: Sample Questions

It seems most people take around a month or so to study for one of the A+ exams, more often than not most just take one of them and then do the other about three months later.

Hope this is helpful.
    The Wings of Technology
  • cmj2303cmj2303 Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Just passed both exams today for a job offer that I received. Took me 2 days of studying and 1 day of looking at prof. messers vids and I passed with a good margin for error. Will be completing the comptia trifecta by the end of next week. I say **** the classes and the boot camps look at prof messers vids and take notes. Then read the book for all the technical stuff. I thought I was gong to fail because I took both at same time and I prof. messers vid only has limited win 7 stuff. Also the book I had was outdated because I got it from a torrent.
  • MrkaliMrkali Member Posts: 105
    I studied for about a month essentials and practical application. I went, took and passed essentials, studied for one more week then took and passed practical. I had the intention of taking practical right after essentials but decided to give myself an extra week of studying.

I used Michael Meyers All-In-1, flash cards and practice tests. I didn't bother buying his Win7 supplement. Other than Windows 7 minimum install requirements, if you know Vista you generally know Windows 7.
  • angjen0816angjen0816 Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I took a class at a community college and it wasn't enough for me to be able to pass the test, and I got an A in both classes! I am still going to have to do some studying on my own and then try and take the test this summer.
  • hamlin69hamlin69 Member Posts: 36 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Took me 3 months to do while working full+family+doing stuff for myself. I watched professor messer videos and read mike meyers book. I had no professional experience.
  • SDownesSDownes Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I have my tests tomorrow morning....both 701 and 702. I've been studying the material for the last two months and had both tests literally CRAMMED into a 4 day course. My pretest score was high enough for me to test tomorrow......so we shall see! I REALLY need the certifications for work or back to airplane hell I go icon_sad.gif
  • gadav478gadav478 Member Posts: 374 ■■■□□□□□□□
    It really is basic IT background stuff... If you have ever fixed a computer or cracked one open, a few weeks of studying with a good book will be all you need. I recommend Exam Cram. But please do yourself a favor and study practice problems from multiple sources. You should be able to go to a library and pick up a book of test questions.
    Goals for 2015: CCNP
  • hamlin69hamlin69 Member Posts: 36 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Took me 3 months or so working full time and having a family. I studied the book, watched videos and then studied book again. I knew most of the stuff already though.
  • xocityxocity Member Posts: 230
    Took me 3 weeks. I had alot of free time so its really all i did. I just watched the Messer videos and glanced over the Exam Cram book for a while and took both tests back to back and passed. Granted i did have like 4 years general pc repair experience
  • quinnyflyquinnyfly Member Posts: 243 ■■■□□□□□□□
    One monthe of study, 2 weeks on each plus about 1 years of hands on experience before hand.
    The Wings of Technology
  • netsysllcnetsysllc Member Posts: 479 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I only read the books to learn their terminology for the stuff. I have 20+ years of experience with computers.
  • j.petrovj.petrov Member Posts: 282
    I studied with CBT nuggets and did a bunch of practice tests (exam cram) read the tech notes, and it took me about 3 weeks total to study and pass the exams. I don't work in IT currently, but do have a technical background. I also ended up building a triple boot computer (OS X, RedHat, Win7) a week before I studied so that really helped get things clicking for me.

I spent a good amount of time learning network concepts both wired and wireless, and also brushing up on printer troubleshooting/maintenance.
  • ZectelZectel Registered Users Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I remember taking a hardware class in college and the professor said the class would be a good start for the A+ exam. This was at least 6 years ago. So I'm going to be starting an A+ course at a local tech institute. They're even an authorized testing center so I can take the A+ exams there. The class starts Monday and is 5 days long, 8 hours a day. I saw a local competitor offering the same course for 5 weeks, but you only go once a week. They also had one for 8 weeks, but you'd go only 4 hours a day once a week.

The class cost around $1,200 USD and I have the option of retaking the course in a year as many times as I want there at no extra charge.

If you're going for the online route, you might as well just read a book and look at free videos online and save yourself the money. I don't believe the A+ material can be explained better in an online course than in free material you can find online. At least in a classroom setting, it should give you hands-on experience with the hardware being taught.
  • gadav478gadav478 Member Posts: 374 ■■■□□□□□□□
    N2IT wrote: »
    It took me 5 years, but I studied off and on during that time frame. If you wanted to dedicate a lot of time to it you could probably pass it in 1-2 months with 2-5 hours of study a week.

No lab needed, but having a desktop/laptop to open up might help you remember the components. Also having access to XP, Vista, 7 wouldn't hurt.

As far as an online course it depends on the vendor.

I'm with you on the 5 years, it took me a while, I was just being lazy, and especially if it's your first cert, the test taking experience does sometimes put people off. If you put in your time, you'll do fine. The key is just using multiple sources of questions. I leased a book from the library with just test questions, so I knew I was getting a full rounded scope of what I could be asked. Now that I'm reading everyone take on this, they're right. Please don't spend money on a course either. I went to the library and got all the books I needed. Free. After a month of a good study regimen, I flew through both exams. It helps to have experience as well. Open a computer, see how it works, ask questions, and study! You'll do fine- without spending a lot of money.
    Goals for 2015: CCNP
  • DEC901DEC901 Member Posts: 48 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Taking it from a training center it took me one month because there is so much information to memorize IF you're new to the IT field. A suggestion would be to use no less than three different books to study from and make sure you have access to practice tests. But then everyone else seems to have said that so maybe there's something to it!!! Good luck, or CONGRATZ already
    @ Geoff

It seemed like A+ took the longest for some reason. Network + took about a month, but by then I had 1 year of networking experience. Basically monitoring and calling in on down and bouncing circuits. Also SSH/Telnetting into the routers and switches to make sure everything was functioning properly. I was dealing with Cisco technology at the time so I should of went for the CCENT or CCNA, but I wasn't that aware of certifications back then. I thought you had to be a big time expert back then. The senior network guys boasted CCNA's I think one had a CCNP.

Security + took about a month with Darril's book. I read it once took the exam and passed with a ~750. Not the best score, but I was just doing it for government jobs, not any other reason to be honest. I am not a security guy at all.
  • Doug94550Doug94550 Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thank You.
    I was looking at doing this exactly as you described.
    Professor Messer is great.
    And I have a A+ Study Guide on it's way.
    Doug
  • steelodonsteelodon Member Posts: 103
    One month. I spent too much time reading the book. It's all about how much experience you have troubleshooting computers.

Studying for the test is recommended......but I second on experience. It makes the exams that much easier IMHO.
  • antielvisantielvis Member Posts: 285 ■■■□□□□□□□
    James Conrad does a CBT Nuggets series for A+ and from what I've seen, it's quite good (my A+ dates back to 1999). Outside of that, a good book and a couple of old computers should suffice. You can find old computers everywhere now.

Unless you have are technically illiterate, I don't think you need to go to school to take A+. Save your money for something more difficult down the road. Don't be afraid to fail either. We all fail at times. I'd also shy away from paying big money for those practice tests. Use the real test as a practice test. At the worst you fail.