IS degree vs BA degree

SRTMCSESRTMCSE Member Posts: 249
Hi everyone,
I had a question about an Info Systems degree vs. a Business admin degree.

I'd like to eventually work toward IT director or CIO, not necessarily stay in a super-hands on focus, but I'd also like some kind of flexibility if I ever want to move out of IT. I've been leaning toward ultimately getting an MBA since I see it's pretty versatile. I guess what my real question is, will I still be able to get IT jobs with a BA in the meanwhile til I gain the experience and knowledge to work in an executive position?

Thanks,

Greg

Comments

• cmbcmb Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
    i'm pretty much in the same boat - i posted in the general discussion though for some odd reason - it can be moved in here -- i am between IT and MIS and would also like to eventually be an IT director or CIO and need some guidance on which one to go through - i posted the classes from both curriculums in my post in general discussion
  • SRTMCSESRTMCSE Member Posts: 249
    cmb wrote:
    i'm pretty much in the same boat - i posted in the general discussion though for some odd reason - it can be moved in here -- i am between IT and MIS and would also like to eventually be an IT director or CIO and need some guidance on which one to go through - i posted the classes from both curriculums in my post in general discussion

oh that must be where i got the idea to post, i thought I read it on another forum, LOL. wow i must've been tired when i made this post.
  • JuddJudd Member Posts: 132
    SRTMCSE wrote:
    Hi everyone,
    I had a question about an Info Systems degree vs. a Business admin degree.

I'd like to eventually work toward IT director or CIO, not necessarily stay in a super-hands on focus, but I'd also like some kind of flexibility if I ever want to move out of IT. I've been leaning toward ultimately getting an MBA since I see it's pretty versatile. I guess what my real question is, will I still be able to get IT jobs with a BA in the meanwhile til I gain the experience and knowledge to work in an executive position?

Thanks,

Greg

Hi Greg,

It's been my experience in the IT industry that when talking about the career path of CIO's or IT Directors they usually have a degree in IT. Typically, it will be a B.S. in Information Technology or Computer Science with a minor in Business Admin.

The recent trend leans toward the IT degree because of the exposure to many different facets of the industry; this would be good experience for an executive that doesn't want to get too heavily into a particular area of IT. Most go on to get a Masters in MIS (Management Information Systems) which incorporates many business courses.

These are the credentials that the CIO at our company has, but he also has been with the company for 25 years icon_wink.gif you can't get that at college. Hope this helps you out.
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    It sounds like a BSIT followed by an MBA would be the way to go. Make sure the school you attend for your MBA is recognized as a good one. There's almost as many people out there with an MBA as there are with a real estate license.