Options

Developer Track suggestion needed...

0xFFFFFF0xFFFFFF Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
I have a bachelor of science degree in computer science and MCSE:server 2003 certification. However, my current job heavily involves network/systems with very little development. I wanted to pursue the SQL 2012 developer and a MS developer certification. I had to use C, C++ and Java for my computer science classes. If I say I slept and woke up with these three languages, that would be a huge understatement. So I think learning the C# and C#.NET would be a breeze.

I am not sure what I want to do in terms of developing apps for windows or web. Lately there is a huge push to move everything to the cloud based software as a service model. so I am tempted to pursue the .NET web track. All I saw in the new developer track is the MCSE in metro app development. Are MCPD and MCSD certifications worth pursuing now? Your input is greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Just my 2 cents but I suspect that there will be value in the MCPD and MCSD for some time. There will be lots of applications which will not be moved to cloud-based software for a while. Most companies don't re-write their applications when new technology appears. Additionally, I suspect that there will be industries (like the one that I work in - financial services) which are not going to rush to adopt cloud-based technology until there is more of a proven track-record.
  • Options
    0xFFFFFF0xFFFFFF Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I agree with you to the extent that most companies don't want to re-write their apps. The ones who stick with their on-premise legacy technology will fall behind and give way to their competition who will be able to offer better ROI with the SaaS model. This is happening very rapidly in my industry. That's my 2 cents. But you are right. There will still be lots of demand for widows based on premise apps.