Passed JNCIS-ENT

nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
Ola,

Today i passed the JNCIS-ENT and utilised the excellent 50% discount offer.

Study wise i used the fast track pdf's, the practice questions from the Juniper website for the exam voucher and a ex4200. The 4200 was probably overkill but i wanted to get some of the basics down on a physical device.

The exam itself was not too hard, definitely not CCNP level like some people have suggested on the juniper forums, but there were some tricky questions. Heres a tip, also read the appendix from the FT pdf's, this probably lost me a few marks.

Im toying with the JNCIP-ENT exam next, could anyone shed some light on what kind of lab you need for this?
Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
WIP: Msc advanced networking

Comments

• EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Congrats mate!
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    thanks man! :)

• AhriakinAhriakin Member Posts: 1,799 ■■■■■■■■□□
    icon_cheers.gif

Congrats!
    We responded to the Year 2000 issue with "Y2K" solutions...isn't this the kind of thinking that got us into trouble in the first place?
  • AldurAldur Member Posts: 1,460
    nice job on the pass! :D
    "Bribe is such an ugly word. I prefer extortion. The X makes it sound cool."

-Bender
    And as for lab equipment for studying for the JNCIP-ENT, I'd say a couple of EX and a couple of SRX devices should do you fine. Especially since you can divide the EXs into logical systems.

-Bender
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Congrats!
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
    aldur,

thanks for the lab info. Ive been looking about for Juniper kit but it seems to be non existent on the 2nd hand market or for those that are available, its very very expensive. Think i may be tempted to look into junosphere, depending on the costs. So if i had 2 EX and 2 SRX platforms, how many additional devices do you need for the IE lab?

For the JNCIE-ENT Bootcamp that my team just put together, we used 4 SRXs and 4 EXs. However, EXs can do logical systems so you could take your two EXs and turn them into 4 really easy.

-Bender
    cool, thanks dude. Looking into junosphere but its a shame it isnt abit cheaper tbh.

• open_portopen_port Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hey Nel,

I have some access to junosphere through my company. I haven't played around with it too much yet, but I was told that the vjx1000 virtual devices don't simulate EX switches yet. You can see a full list of supported 12.1 features here:
    http://www.juniper.net/techpubs/en_US/junos12.1/information-products/topic-collections/vjx-series/release-notes/VJX1000-12.1.pdf

It looks like you could practice most of the non-switching blueprint requirements on Junosphere, but you still might need EX switches to get hands-on for the Ethernet Switching requirements. I was excited about Junosphere until I found out that it wasn't a complete option for the EX track. It also doesn't support flow-based processing, so I don't think Junosphere would be useful for the SEC track either.

Aldur,

How important would you say it is that someone uses EX4200s for IE-ENT prep? Aside from the virtual chassis feature could a EX2200 do most of what an EX4200? EX2200's are quite a bit cheaper on Ebay. I'm trying to decide between getting 4x EX2200's or 2x EX4200's? I'd love to get your feedback between those options.

Thanks
    Aldur wrote: »
    And as for lab equipment for studying for the JNCIP-ENT, I'd say a couple of EX and a couple of SRX devices should do you fine. Especially since you can divide the EXs into logical systems.

Hey Aldur,

I'm a bit confused about your statement that EX's can run logical systems. I'm looking at an EX4200-24F running JUNOS 9.5, and I don't see the option to configure logical-systems. Can you clarify what you meant here? Were you not referring to [edit logical-systems]?

Thanks for your help.

# edit ?
    Possible completions:
    > access Network access configuration
    > access-profile Access profile for this instance
    > accounting-options Accounting data configuration
    > chassis Chassis configuration
    > class-of-service Class-of-service configuration
    > ethernet-switching-options Ethernet-switching configuration options
    > event-options Event processing configuration
    > firewall Define a firewall configuration
    > forwarding-options Configure options to control packet forwarding
    > groups Configuration groups
    > interfaces Interface configuration
    > poe Power-over-Ethernet options
    > policy-options Routing policy option configuration
    > protocols Routing protocol configuration
    > routing-instances Routing instance configuration
    > routing-options Protocol-independent routing option configuration
    > security Security configuration
    > services
    > snmp Simple Network Management Protocol configuration
    > system System parameters
    > virtual-chassis Virtual chassis configuration
    > vlans VLAN configuration
    My bad, for some reason I really thought that logical-systems were supported on the EX switches. But after double checking they don't seem to be. However, you can use routing instances that will give you a similar effect.

To your other question about getting ex2200 or ex4200s, if I were in the market to buy some switches, I'd go for the ex2200s. The only thing I'm aware of that you'll be missing out on, as you mentioned, is the virtual chassis technology. To me, that's a pretty straight forward topic, and doesn't justify the extra bucks if you're just using it for studying.

-Bender
    Thanks for the response Aldur. I thought I was losing it for a moment.

I have a couple of EX3200's on the way. They were half as much as the 4200's, but it sounds like I could have gotten away even cheaper and gone with 2200's. Oh well, I'm just glad to have moved beyond my painful deliberation phase, and into almost having my lab setup complete.

Anyways, I'll stop hijacking Nel's thread.

BTW, congrats Nel:)