Studying Multiple Tests at once vs Studying 1 Test at a time

Wilson502Wilson502 Member Posts: 68 ■■□□□□□□□□
Im currently studying for the 70-640, using the MS Press kit R2 edition and CBT nugget videos, and the selftest software/transcender kit. Anyway, I was wondering if any of you who have passed these Microsoft exams have more success focusing on one test at a time or studying multiple tests at once dedicating a certain amount of time each day to each individual test?
Currently Studying: MCITP:SA, B.S. Business Administration with Focus in Computer Info Systems, Cal State Fresno
Degree Completion: Spring 2013
Future Studies: MCITP:EA, MCSE 2012, CCNA/CCNP, VCP5, Security+, Linux+, SQL

Comments

• IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    One test at a time is usually easier since most of those tests have prerequisite knowledge that you gain from the previous tests. You will have a better understanding of what you are learning on test B by already completing test A. Make sense?
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
  • Wilson502Wilson502 Member Posts: 68 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Yea it follows logical sense. There is a lot of overlap on the exams but one at a time also seemed more logical, just wanted to get some input from others.
    Currently Studying: MCITP:SA, B.S. Business Administration with Focus in Computer Info Systems, Cal State Fresno
  • EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I'd concur with Iristheangel, focus your energy on one thing than spread it thinly over a couple or a few things. On the other hand, some people function better if they combine things.

On another note and not to derail your thread, I recommend using the Unleashed book and TechNet to supplement your preparation. Be warned, that MS Press book WILL not adequately prepare you for what you are going to see on exam day. This is a tried, tested fact.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Wilson502Wilson502 Member Posts: 68 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I was planning on using technet as a supplement resource as it seems to be a solid resource that many recommend on this board.
  • MrBishopMrBishop Member Posts: 229
    I believe the best approach is to do one test at a time. Just like the others stated before; each test will usually build upon the knowledge you gained form the last one. Focusing on one test at a time also sets little goals or mile markers as you prepare and pass them. It gives you a sense of accomplishment, that otherwise will take a very very long time studying them all at once.
    Degrees
    M.S. Internet Engineering | M.S. Information Assurance
    B.S. Information Technology | A.A.S Information Technology
    Certificaions
    Currently pursuing: CCIE R&Sv5
  • powerfoolpowerfool Member Posts: 1,665 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I had a buddy that used to try and push it all the time. He tried studying multiple exams and actually scheduled the exams the same day. It started as two at a time, and then he pushed it to three at a time. I think he only had multiple exam success once. Of course, he had discounted vouchers and/or free retakes at the time... but still, it wasn't productive.
    2024 Renew: [ ] AZ-204 [ ] AZ-305 [ ] AZ-400 [ ] AZ-500 [ ] Vault Assoc.
    2024 New: [X] AWS SAP [ ] CKA [ ] Terraform Auth/Ops Pro
  • blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I can't make myself do more than one at a time, and I'm an excellent test-taker in general. The only time I attempted it was when I did both A+ exams back to back on the same day, but I had been in the field for 6 years or so by that time and pretty much knew my stuff by then.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • dave330idave330i Member Posts: 2,091 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I'm sort of studying for VCAP5-DCD & VCP5-DT at once. DCD is on my fast track which I'm devoting most of my time. I look at DT stuff when I need a break from DCD. I'd say 90% of my time is on DCD and 10% on DT.
    2018 Certification Goals: Maybe VMware Sales Cert
    "Simplify, then add lightness" -Colin Chapman
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I've done two at a time but it was just server and security +. I passed both barely and those exams aren't that hard. I would never try it for a certification/s worth their weight in salt. UNLESS they are very similiar to each other.
  • kremitkremit Member Posts: 85 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I can tell you from personal experience. Do not study for two exams at a time, its a really bad idea. Instead of spending that time on the other exam, spend it on the currently one you are studying for. You'll get it done that much faster and be able to move onto the next one ;)
    Pending:
    640-816; ITIL 2011
    2013:
    Sharepoint, ITIL, CCNA
  • onesaintonesaint Member Posts: 801
    I actually figure it works out to be the same, time wise. An example, if you study for 2 tests at once and put in, lets say, 4 hours a day total study time. That's 2 hours on each subject, each day. You take some 6 months to pass those 2 exams. But, if you study 4 hours a day on 1 exam at a time, you may pass it in 3 months and do the second in another 3 months. Really, I think it depends most on how you learn, how much time you're able to put into studying, and how familiar you are with the subject material.
    Work in progress: picking up Postgres, elastisearch, redis, Cloudera, & AWS.
    Next up: eventually the RHCE and to start blogging again.

Control Protocol; my blog of exam notes and IT randomness