Options

CCNP duration

lincis_auslincis_aus Member Posts: 50 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hi dudes,

Just a quick question. I'm planning on beginning my CCNP R&S study, and was just wondering how long it took each one of you to master and pass each CCNP exam (Switch, Route, TShoot)? I know everyone is different, and we all learn at a different pace, but this is purely just out of curiosity. I want to get an idea of how long it will take me to finish my CCNP off.

Cheers

Comments

• Options
    prtechprtech Member Posts: 163
    Taking ROUTE tomorrow which will be three months from when I started studying. I've done CBT Nuggets, FLG, OCG, Element K courses, and Chris Bryant's videos. For labs, I did the lab manual, created my own scenarios, and labs from gns3vault. It really depends on the person and how much time they have for studying.
    If at first you do succeed, try something harder.
  • Options
    MrBrianMrBrian Member Posts: 520
    Route took me about 6 months to go through. However, I was also taking college courses so that slowed down my ccnp study a little. I'm actually just starting my Switch studies now (my signature's a little off). Haven't been able to start it due to the attention I needed for my college courses, but this summer will be all Switch.
    Currently reading: Internet Routing Architectures by Halabi
  • Options
    Nate--IRL--Nate--IRL-- Member Posts: 103 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Passed CCNA at the end of Feb - have ROUTE exam this day next week. I'm Using the FLG and OCG as well as GNS3vault.

Nate
  • Options
    mattaumattau Member Posts: 218
    took me 1 year for route with about 3 hours study each day of the week. Anticipating switch to take the same duration and tshoot to take half of that. I am aiming for 2.5 years in total. I generally go more indepth than required. You could do it in a fair bit less, depends on alot of things.

• Options
    SomnipotentSomnipotent Member Posts: 384
    Took me 2 months per exam for ROUTE and SWITCH and 1 month for TSHOOT... 5 months total time.
    Reading: Internetworking with TCP/IP: Principles, Protocols, and Architecture (D. Comer)
  • Options
    Concerned WaterConcerned Water Member Posts: 338 ■■■■□□□□□□
    WOWicon_eek.gif Your a beast!!!

What did you use to study and did you have experience?
    :study:Reading: CCNP Route FLG, Routing TCP/IP Vol. 1
    SWITCH [x] ROUTE [ ] TSHOOT [ ] VCP6-NV [ ]
  • Options
    HackedAliasHackedAlias Member Posts: 34 ■■□□□□□□□□
    3 Months total from start to finish(Route in January, Switch in Feb and Tshoot at the beginning of April). Had a lot of push from work including field time and full blown out labs and CCIE's and fellow CCNP's giving me pointers. Biggest thing is keep a high level of intensity and drive and you can get though them. Just don't let the content intimidate, it may seem like a lot but if you have good foundation from your CCNA it all fits in logically for the most part and builds off what you already know, compartmentalizing is a very good trait to use as to keep all of the concepts separate until you know them fully and can start seeing how everything interconnects.
  • Options
    SomnipotentSomnipotent Member Posts: 384
    WOWicon_eek.gif Your a beast!!!

What did you use to study and did you have experience?

OCG, FLG, INE's CCNP videos, and lotsa labs from the Cisco Press books. I'm currently working as a network engineer, although ISP side of the house, so much of it was review, except the switching part because I don't touch much Layer 2, save Metro Ethernet and Frame Relay.
    Reading: Internetworking with TCP/IP: Principles, Protocols, and Architecture (D. Comer)
  • Options
    wavewave Member Posts: 342
    ROUTE - 3.5 months
    SWITCH - In progress but I estimate 3.5 months

I study for 3 hours a day Mon-Fri and 5-6 hours on Sat and Sun.

ROUTE Passed 1 May 2012
    SWITCH Passed 25 September 2012
    TSHOOT Passed 23 October 2012
    Taking CCNA Security in April 2013 then studying for the CISSP
  • Options
    fiftyofiftyo Member Posts: 71 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Passed CCNA 4/3/12. Passed CCNP Route 5/24/12. Study time ranging from 2-12 hours per day, I'd make a rough estimate and guess around 5 hours daily on average. I can't speak for switch yet but managed to get through the foundation guide cover-to-cover within a week. Now I am patiently waiting for my L2 switches.
  • Options
    jamesp1983jamesp1983 Member Posts: 2,475 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I took CCNP when it was 4 tests and it took me a year.
    "Check both the destination and return path when a route fails." "Switches create a network. Routers connect networks."